or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › How do you handle false accusations
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How do you handle false accusations - Page 2

post #19 of 48

Tell him to go grab his calculator for assistance in adding up the strokes. Yeah I am THAT guy. 

post #20 of 48

Wait... if this was a par 4... did you put your tee shot into a hazard?


CY

post #21 of 48
Thread Starter 

Had an unplayable lie

post #22 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post

Had an unplayable lie

 

And you dropped legally I assume?

 

Either way, he should have been able to tell you where his discrepancy came from instead of mumbling and walking away like an 8 year old...

post #23 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post

 

And you dropped legally I assume?

 

Either way, he should have been able to tell you where his discrepancy came from instead of mumbling and walking away like an 8 year old...

Yeah, always take legal drops, 2 club lengths, no closer to the hole.

post #24 of 48
Ahhh... got it. Anyway... I agree with others, have him count it back. If he relents... it's on him and you have nothing to worry about.

I had a similar issue in a tournament round last week. One of the guys we were playing with said he posted a 6 but it was a 9. We recounted every stroke... and the other 3 of us in the group were all in agreement as to his score. He got upset by us calling him on it but... it is what it is.

You did nothing wrong and you were able to account for every stroke.

CY
post #25 of 48

I'm glad I don't play with people like that.

 

My buddy the other day actually said: "Mark me down a 6 on that one...", I said "Nope, you got a 5...we went over it, I was right, and he thanked me for paying attention. Haha.

post #26 of 48

That's when you say, "I presume you didn't pass high school match because you can't count worth shit"

post #27 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post

That's when you say, "I presume you didn't pass high school match because you can't count worth shit"

 

I'm not so sure I'd say that. b2_tongue.gif

post #28 of 48

I assume the other guy is correct when he has me for more strokes. And, as said many times on this thread, I ask him to go through it. Maybe he's right. Maybe it is a disagreement about the penalty rules... 

 

There have been one or two times in my life when I have completely forgotten about an OB tee ball because it was so long ago. I'm often the longest in my group (not a brag because I play with very old guys). So, I have hit one out, and then one of more of them is hunting for their balls, so it can be forever between my turns. I want the others to remind me of my correct score. More likely than not, I recall that OB shot that my fellow playing opponents and partners forgot. "Nice par." "It was nice except for that indiscretion off the tee makes it a double."

post #29 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post

 

I'm not so sure I'd say that. b2_tongue.gif

 

Ok, i am going to say my hands type words on their own just to mess with me.

post #30 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post

That's when you say, "I presume you didn't pass high school match because you can't count worth shit"

a3_biggrin.gif

I was doing algebra and trig in high school.

It more like preschool math.

post #31 of 48

I probably would have did what you did, and when he said his "whatever" line I'd of said something like "well hold on, I want to be sure that I have this right, how did you come up with 7?"  

 

People make mistakes.  You come away looking better when you respond politely, and you're less likely to obsess over it in your head for the next few holes.  Plus, its always possible that you made a mistake somewhere.  No need for the smart *ss one-liners.

post #32 of 48

I was trying to be nice, you know give him the benefit of the doubt. But yes, technically you might want to ask him how he even passed 1st grade :p

post #33 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc123 View Post

I probably would have did what you did, and when he said his "whatever" line I'd of said something like "well hold on, I want to be sure that I have this right, how did you come up with 7?"  

 

People make mistakes.  You come away looking better when you respond politely, and you're less likely to obsess over it in your head for the next few holes.  Plus, its always possible that you made a mistake somewhere.  No need for the smart *ss one-liners.

This is the best option, IMO.  It's the same as most everybody has already said, however, it comes across as the most polite and cordial.

 

The high road is always the better route. ;)

post #34 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

This is the best option, IMO.  It's the same as most everybody has already said, however, it comes across as the most polite and cordial.

 

The high road is always the better route. ;)

Now that it's behind me and I can look at it a little more objectively I wonder if the reason he wouldn't say how he came up with the score he had is that he realized he was wrong when I counted out my shots for him. If he had just said "sorry, you are right" instead of acting like he was just not going to bother proving I was wrong it would have made a world of difference. I've no problems admitting I miss counted when/if I do because I want to card the correct score regardless if it is good or not.

post #35 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post

Now that it's behind me and I can look at it a little more objectively I wonder if the reason he wouldn't say how he came up with the score he had is that he realized he was wrong when I counted out my shots for him. If he had just said "sorry, you are right" instead of acting like he was just not going to bother proving I was wrong it would have made a world of difference. I've no problems admitting I miss counted when/if I do because I want to card the correct score regardless if it is good or not.

 

Some people have to much pride to be wrong at anything

post #36 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post

 

Some people have to much pride to be wrong at anything

Yeah, the thing that sucks is that the fact that I recovered so quickly and well on that hole had me feeling good and I may have started playing better had I not had this encounter at the conclusion of the hole. I realize if I am really going to get better at golf overall I'm going to need to learn not to let this type of thing affect me. Live and learn I suppose.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › How do you handle false accusations