I am wondering what is the best score you have shot and what you were feeling that day? Was it calmness, confidence? What do you think contributed to that feeling?
I want to see what attributes to playing the best golf of your life and your exact feelings during that round.
I personally shot a 66 at my home course. I felt a kind of numbness to doubt and whether or not I was going to hit the next shot into the water or O.B. I felt really focused on the task at hand and my pre-shot routine just felt like it was the exact routine for me. I felt in tune with my swing and my feel of the course. Not to mention I visualized my shots like never before. It was like a movie playing in my head.
What I think contributed to the amazing game I played was my practice session before I got to the first tee. Its a practice session I have used since that day. It goes something like this...
1. Get a large bucket of balls and set up at the range.
2. Stretch for about 5 min
3. Hit 5 golf balls with every club in my bag. 2 soft, 1 medium, 1 hard, 1 medium. (I do that to feel what 80% is)
4. I do whats called the "clock drill" with my wedges and practice at 7, 9, 10 and 11 o clock. (I do this for distance control)
5. I then hit 5 shots with my 6 iron to see my yardages. ( some days are further and some days are shorter)
6. I move to the putting green and chip 10 golf balls to 3 locations. short, medium and long distance.
7. Then I putt with 3 golf balls to short, medium and long range holes to get the feel of the greens
8. I go play.
This is what I do every day and it gives me amazing confidence before I even tee up on the first hole. It sure gets rid of the first tee jitters.
Going to give your pre round routine a go, I often struggle over first 4-5 holes and like to warm up this seems like a good routine.