or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Range Balls and Ball Flight
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Range Balls and Ball Flight - Page 3

post #37 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyredcab View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxforbroke View Post

 

When I played in high school, our team's home course had ProV1's on the range. Talk about being spoiled.

 

The only marks on the balls was the word "practice." I played once with a young PGA pro who joked that he was considering changing his name to "Practice" so he could steal those range balls and use them in tournaments. 

 

Haha. I'm pretty sure some of the guys on the team swiped a few.

post #38 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxforbroke View Post

 

Dude, let's be civil here.

 

I've read everything that you've posted. Yes, there have been posters that have said a range ball may spin more than a standard range ball. I've also come across several threads and internet discussions that have said the opposite. I'd be curious to do some experimenting with a beat up range ball vs. a new ProV1 or B330 (or whatever else). But my argument is, and will continue to be, that regardless of the amount of side spin on the ball, shallower dimples probably won't allow the spin to affect the flight of the ball as much as with a standard ball.  

And now you're telling me that a ball with no dimples will not act like a golf ball.  Well no shit.  What do I owe you for that lesson?  Thanks for your contributions today.

post #39 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBam View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxforbroke View Post

 

Dude, let's be civil here.

 

I've read everything that you've posted. Yes, there have been posters that have said a range ball may spin more than a standard range ball. I've also come across several threads and internet discussions that have said the opposite. I'd be curious to do some experimenting with a beat up range ball vs. a new ProV1 or B330 (or whatever else). But my argument is, and will continue to be, that regardless of the amount of side spin on the ball, shallower dimples probably won't allow the spin to affect the flight of the ball as much as with a standard ball.  

And now you're telling me that a ball with no dimples will not act like a golf ball.  Well no shit.  What do I owe you for that lesson?  Thanks for your contributions today.

 

Seriously. Let it go. The thread has moved on. You should too.

post #40 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxforbroke View Post

 

Seriously. Let it go. The thread has moved on. You should too.

Go sit on a stick.

post #41 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxforbroke View Post

When I played in high school, our team's home course had ProV1's on the range. Talk about being spoiled.

This is why I hated the fact that golf and baseball were during the same season in high school.  Because I was a baseball player first, I missed out on golf, and thus missed out on playing at all of the nice local country clubs that I would otherwise never have access to.  (In fact, I still haven't played the CC that my school used as their home course, and it's been over 20 years!!)

 

For the topic, I agree with you.  I've never experienced range balls that I noticed curving more than regular good balls.

post #42 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBam View Post

And now you're telling me that a ball with no dimples will not act like a golf ball.  Well no shit.  What do I owe you for that lesson?  Thanks for your contributions today.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBam View Post

Go sit on a stick.

Stay classy, Houston.

 

Geaux has been nothing if not polite this entire time, while simply disagreeing with you.  The least you can do is return the favor.

post #43 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBam View Post

And now you're telling me that a ball with no dimples will not act like a golf ball.  Well no shit.  What do I owe you for that lesson?  Thanks for your contributions today.

z3_sleep1.gif

post #44 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBam View Post

bplewis et al. -- I don't appreciate being made the butt of a joke on this thread because of my observation that harder, lighter range balls seem to produce more side spin with my driver.  Perhaps you could **** off and leave the conversation to those who are interested in golf, rather than a career of stand up internet comedy where you pick on others.  Thanks boys. c2_beer.gif

 

Did you snap your fingers in a "Z" pattern when you wrote this?

post #45 of 63

Ganged up on again!  Can't say I didn't ask for it this time.  How dare I demand respect from senior members when three people mocked me for something that turned out to have validity.

post #46 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxforbroke View Post

When I played in high school, our team's home course had ProV1's on the range. Talk about being spoiled.

This is why I hated the fact that golf and baseball were during the same season in high school.  Because I was a baseball player first, I missed out on golf, and thus missed out on playing at all of the nice local country clubs that I would otherwise never have access to.  (In fact, I still haven't played the CC that my school used as their home course, and it's been over 20 years!!)

 

It was a pretty sweet gig. I got to leave school at 1:30 every day for lunch and go to the golf course. We got all the free golf we wanted at one of the nicest courses in the whole state.

post #47 of 63

A lighter ball will curve more than a heavier ball. Easy way to test this, go take a plastic baseball and throw a curveball and note the amount of change in direction. Next do the same with a regular ball. Now, of course, this is a very exaggerated difference in weight but it'll show the principle being discussed. The lighter ball will move more because it takes much less force to cause that move. Also, to a certain extent, more dimples will offset the lack of depth of those dimples.

 

Anyway, that's my take on it.

post #48 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by 460CompMark View Post

i try to stay away from the range

I cosign this. I've found the less I go to the range and the more I play actual rounds the more I have improved. The range hurts my game, get over thinking and lose rhythm

post #49 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by kw purp View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460CompMark View Post

i try to stay away from the range

I cosign this. I've found the less I go to the range and the more I play actual rounds the more I have improved. The range hurts my game, get over thinking and lose rhythm

 

Yeah, I'm the same way. I either overthink it, or get bored and lose focus. I would say that from age 5 to 25, I might have hit 20 buckets of balls for practice. Obviously more for warming up, but I found that I could work it out more easily on the course. 

 

I'm going to the range much more often now for time restraint reasons. The range is still better than nothing at all.

post #50 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBam View Post

Ganged up on again!  Can't say I didn't ask for it this time.  How dare I demand respect from senior members when three people mocked me for something that turned out to have validity.

 

I have nothing against you.  If you say something absurd, I will mock it.  If you tell me to f**k off afterwards, I will have the audacity to respond to it.  That's not "ganging up on you."  There's no justification for a victim complex.

 

You think you've proved that range balls induce more slice for your swing than regular balls.  Fine.  I disagree so fundamentally as to not really consider it worth responding to.  However, there's no need to blow this thing out of proportion and act like you've been dishonored and emasculated.  Often internet disagreements lead to either lengthy, circular and frustrating discussions, or people get a word in, maybe add some levity to blow it off, and let it go.  If you can't handle that, maybe some thicker skin is needed?

 

You may take this as another attack, but it's just a friendly suggestion.  I've been about as cordial as I can be, considering I was told to f**k off and called an a**.  If you can dish it, at least be able to see it coming back at you...

post #51 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

 

I have nothing against you.  If you say something absurd, I will mock it.  If you tell me to f**k off afterwards, I will have the audacity to respond to it.  That's not "ganging up on you."  There's no justification for a victim complex.

 

You think you've proved that range balls induce more slice for your swing than regular balls.  Fine.  I disagree so fundamentally as to not really consider it worth responding to.  However, there's no need to blow this thing out of proportion and act like you've been dishonored and emasculated.  Often internet disagreements lead to either lengthy, circular and frustrating discussions, or people get a word in, maybe add some levity to blow it off, and let it go.  If you can't handle that, maybe some thicker skin is needed?

 

You may take this as another attack, but it's just a friendly suggestion.  I've been about as cordial as I can be, considering I was told to f**k off and called an a**.  If you can dish it, at least be able to see it coming back at you...

No one likes being mocked.  You wouldn't do it in the clubhouse, so don't do it here.  That's all.

 

Cheers buddy.

post #52 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman777 View Post

I had been going for years to a grass hitting range ,and noticed alot of inconsistency in ball flight , including some shanks .  They use the generic range balls , with the red stripe around the ball . The last few practices , I've been going to a different range , which uses better balls , probably recycled " B' grade brand balls . I notice my ball flight is much more consistent   there . Coincidence or can the practice ball have that much effect ?  

I'm going to say "coincidence" , just in an attempt to void the entire thread's contents........

post #53 of 63

Oh, but I would, and I do.

post #54 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBam View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

 

I have nothing against you.  If you say something absurd, I will mock it.  If you tell me to f**k off afterwards, I will have the audacity to respond to it.  That's not "ganging up on you."  There's no justification for a victim complex.

 

You think you've proved that range balls induce more slice for your swing than regular balls.  Fine.  I disagree so fundamentally as to not really consider it worth responding to.  However, there's no need to blow this thing out of proportion and act like you've been dishonored and emasculated.  Often internet disagreements lead to either lengthy, circular and frustrating discussions, or people get a word in, maybe add some levity to blow it off, and let it go.  If you can't handle that, maybe some thicker skin is needed?

 

You may take this as another attack, but it's just a friendly suggestion.  I've been about as cordial as I can be, considering I was told to f**k off and called an a**.  If you can dish it, at least be able to see it coming back at you...

No one likes being mocked.  You wouldn't do it in the clubhouse, so don't do it here.  That's all.

 

Cheers buddy.

 

True, but not everyone reacts like a 3rd grader that just got a wedgie. What Brandon said was obviously in jest and much more innocuous than "**** you" (or "go sit on a stick" for that matter).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Range Balls and Ball Flight