or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Who is the competition for the GHIN system?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Who is the competition for the GHIN system? - Page 2

post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2512 View Post

If you did't track stats then it's not important. GHIN has HBH tracking and it sucks. My GolfNet HI and GHIN HI are identical, accuracy isn't an issue. Surely you didn't miss that stat tracking is important to me if you took the time to quote my post. It's not unreasonable to believe that if the USGA wants to monopolize the market they should offer the best product. Currently they don't.

I use GolfNet myself (but have admittedly never tried GHIN). I shopped around in May this year, and found that the GolfNet service was exactly what I needed. Hole-by-hole stat tracking and analysis, plus a USGA-approved handicap. The price was significantly less than the price for handicaps at local clubs (via GHIN), plus GolfNet gave me the great stats and analysis tools. I asked a couple local clubs about tools for analyzing my rounds that I would get with their handicap, and they didn't seem very knowledgeable. Otherwise, if you just want a handicap, there's probably zero difference. The calculation is pretty simple. It's the features that I saw from GolfNet for analyzing your game that stood out for me- well, that and price was about half.

post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2512 View Post

If you did't track stats then it's not important. GHIN has HBH tracking and it sucks. My GolfNet HI and GHIN HI are identical, accuracy isn't an issue. Surely you didn't miss that stat tracking is important to me if you took the time to quote my post. It's not unreasonable to believe that if the USGA wants to monopolize the market they should offer the best product. Currently they don't.

 

If one wants to try to qualify for the US Open will the USGA accept a GN handicap for purposes of meeting the minimal handicap requirement or do they require a GHIN handicap?  My Excel spreadsheet is USGA compliant, right down to correctly rounding at the various steps, but that doesn't mean the USGA would accept my handicap calculation.  So I'm not sure I understand what USGA compliant means.

post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleback View Post

If one wants to try to qualify for the US Open will the USGA accept a GN handicap for purposes of meeting the minimal handicap requirement or do they require a GHIN handicap?  My Excel spreadsheet is USGA compliant, right down to correctly rounding at the various steps, but that doesn't mean the USGA would accept my handicap calculation.  So I'm not sure I understand what USGA compliant means.

While the calculation for a handicap index is simple (and can be done in a simple excel spreadsheet).... Belonging to a USGA licensed club is what makes your index compliant.

GolfNet has hundreds of USGA licensed clubs across the country that anyone can join via USHandicap.com, Golf.com, Golfsmith, etc. Each club has a handicap chairman and complies with all USGA rules and regulations.

Other 3rd party services outside of GHIN and GolfNet also facilitate USGA clubs.

GHIN is just a technology vendor to State/Regional Golf Associations like the FSGA. Not every state Assn. uses GHIN. While they are the largest... they are not the only provider of USGA licensed club memberships.

It's just important to understand that the USGA and GHIN are not the same thing. There's clearly some conflict of interest with their relationship... but that's another matter entirely.
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfNet View Post


While the calculation for a handicap index is simple (and can be done in a simple excel spreadsheet).... Belonging to a USGA licensed club is what makes your index compliant.

GolfNet has hundreds of USGA licensed clubs across the country that anyone can join via USHandicap.com, Golf.com, Golfsmith, etc. Each club has a handicap chairman and complies with all USGA rules and regulations.

Other 3rd party services outside of GHIN and GolfNet also facilitate USGA clubs.

GHIN is just a technology vendor to State/Regional Golf Associations like the FSGA. Not every state Assn. uses GHIN. While they are the largest... they are not the only provider of USGA licensed club memberships.

It's just important to understand that the USGA and GHIN are not the same thing. There's clearly some conflict of interest with their relationship... but that's another matter entirely.

 

Thanks for the clarification.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Who is the competition for the GHIN system?