or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Rules of Golf › Orange Whip or Medicus Hinge Club in bag = 15th club?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Orange Whip or Medicus Hinge Club in bag = 15th club? - Page 3

post #37 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogolf View Post
 

 

IIRC, Overton used the rods during a delay in play, not when play was suspended, hence the penalty - during the stipulated round.  Might need some follow-up.

 

 

 

Groups were going off of 1 and 10. Overton finished 9, there was a backup on 10.  Rules official says his group can practice chipping and putting on a nearby practice green.....which is a little unusual because I  think the Tour's normal Conditions of Competition prohibit this.  Anyway, while putting he uses some kind of putting aide.  Someone asks an official about it, Overton is DQ'd.

post #38 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogolf View Post
 

 

No, he could not use an alignment rod for those practice swings - penalty is DQ.  However, could use the flagstick without penalty.

 

Rogolf, are you sure about that? I have wondered it once in a while without coming into any solid conclusion. You say that it would not be use of an artificial device?

post #39 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyThursday View Post
 

So, we have established that the Medicus is a club, (but a non-conforming club) and counts as part of the club count in your bag. Therefore, you could carry it along with 13 other clubs and swing it all you want during the round, just so long as you don’t strike the ball with it?

 

 

No.  Although it may be considered a nonconforming club, it's still a swing trainer and as such the rules do not allow its use during a round.

 

 

Isn't that contraddictory? A club is a club, whether or not conforming. If it is not a (non-conforming) club there is no penalty for carrying it. So far I thought there was an agreement that this Mediscus thing is a club and a player is penalized for carrying a non-conforming club..

 

Dec 4-4a/7 allows a player to carry a weighted training club as one of his 14 clubs as well as use it provided it is conforming. And a weighted training club certainly is a training aid.

post #40 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignorant View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogolf View Post
 

 

No, he could not use an alignment rod for those practice swings - penalty is DQ.  However, could use the flagstick without penalty.

 

Rogolf, are you sure about that? I have wondered it once in a while without coming into any solid conclusion. You say that it would not be use of an artificial device?

 

Yes.  The flagstick may be used to help the player to line up as long as it does not leave a mark on the green and is removed before the stroke is made.  The flagstick is not by definition a training aid.  A spare club may also be so used. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignorant View Post
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyThursday View Post
 

So, we have established that the Medicus is a club, (but a non-conforming club) and counts as part of the club count in your bag. Therefore, you could carry it along with 13 other clubs and swing it all you want during the round, just so long as you don’t strike the ball with it?

 

 

No.  Although it may be considered a nonconforming club, it's still a swing trainer and as such the rules do not allow its use during a round.

 

 

Isn't that contraddictory? A club is a club, whether or not conforming. If it is not a (non-conforming) club there is no penalty for carrying it. So far I thought there was an agreement that this Mediscus thing is a club and a player is penalized for carrying a non-conforming club..

 

Dec 4-4a/7 allows a player to carry a weighted training club as one of his 14 clubs as well as use it provided it is conforming. And a weighted training club certainly is a training aid.

 

A weighted club, as long as it conforms the rules is still just a club.  A hinged Medicus is not.  It may be a training aid but it is also a nonconforming club, and as such is it a penalty to even carry it on the course.  A true training aid which is not intended to be used as a club must actually be used for the player to incur a penalty.

post #41 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post

 

A weighted club, as long as it conforms the rules is still just a club.  A hinged Medicus is not.  It may be a training aid but it is also a nonconforming club, and as such is it a penalty to even carry it on the course.  A true training aid which is not intended to be used as a club must actually be used for the player to incur a penalty.

 

What JerseyThursday proposed is that you may carry Medicus on the course and use it for training as long as you do not make a stroke at a/the ball. IMO that is correct as it is a club and not a (mere) training aid. However, one would take penalties for carrying a non-conforming club and not using it.

 

So in the end, the player would get 4 PS but would not be DQ'd. Are we now in agreement?

post #42 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignorant View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post

 

A weighted club, as long as it conforms the rules is still just a club.  A hinged Medicus is not.  It may be a training aid but it is also a nonconforming club, and as such is it a penalty to even carry it on the course.  A true training aid which is not intended to be used as a club must actually be used for the player to incur a penalty.

 

What JerseyThursday proposed is that you may carry Medicus on the course and use it for training as long as you do not make a stroke at a/the ball. IMO that is correct as it is a club and not a (mere) training aid. However, one would take penalties for carrying a non-conforming club and not using it.

 

So in the end, the player would get 4 PS but would not be DQ'd. Are we now in agreement?

 

Yes.  With most training aids there would be no penalty for just carrying them, but with a training club which is also a nonconforming club, then the penalty under Rule 4-1a would apply.  I had a heavy club for winter workouts.  It would have been a conforming club (8 iron) if I had changed the grip that it came with.  It had a formed grip to assist in properly positioning the hands, and that made it nonconforming.  That club was NEVER put in my golf bag at any time.

post #43 of 44

As we are now in agreement with Fourputt I dare to link a video that first came to my mind having read the title of this thread. I am sure many of you have seen this but I hope you all get the same enlighted feeling looking at this and reminiscing that great movie:

 

post #44 of 44

Thread Creep......

 

 

I laugh every time I watch this scene.  My wife just gives me the blank " what's so funnyy" look.

 

Women.

 

I was working at Midway Airport in Chicago when they were filming a scene for this movie.  Belushi and Aykroyd were standing in a doorway of a DC- 3 with parachutes getting ready to jump out.  The scene never made the movie,.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rules of Golf
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Rules of Golf › Orange Whip or Medicus Hinge Club in bag = 15th club?