or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Crushing my oldie of a driver.... do i upgrade
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Crushing my oldie of a driver.... do i upgrade

post #1 of 37
Thread Starter 

I am smashing my drive - averaging about 280-290 for sure.  Generally hitting it well with the odd bad shot (1 or 2 a round but I haven't played a lot so thats to be expected.

 

It's a taylor made R5 stock stiff flex, low torque, tip stiff driver.  

 

I kind of want a new toy but, but since I am hitting it well i am wondering if i should.  Will i see increased accuracy from a newer stick?  Or will i hit poorly?  

 

I have never been fitted, had swing speed measured, etc.

 

I am for sure going to get new wedges (I have an old wilson 56*) but am waiting until my Stan Utley art of short game gets here to see what he recommends.

post #2 of 37

As usual - how the hell would we know? b2_tongue.gif

If you are "crushing" it, stay with it.

post #3 of 37

Are you asking for driver advice, or just bragging?

 

As a 15 HDCP, your time might best be used refitting your wedges. If you've had the wedges awhile, you might need new grooves.

 

Getting your wedge shots 10 feet closer to the pin will help your score a lot more than 10 more yards on your drives.

post #4 of 37
Only 290?! Hell, give that thing away and pick up a new hybrid. You'll hit that 320 easy.....
post #5 of 37
Thread Starter 

@Shirty thanks for the insight....

 

All i was getting at is.... has technology changed so much that something new will make a considerable difference.  I am sure someone on here who is an equipment buff can comment

post #6 of 37
Thread Starter 

Lol you guys are ridiculous.

 

I am a 15 handicap on a good day... I have nothing to brag about. 

 

I apologize for saying it well.

 

Here is an new question:

 

I suck at a golf, like really bad.  I took an 8 today on a very easy par 4.  I am curious as to whether or not Driver technology has changed SIGNIFICANTLY in the past 10 years. Is a R1 considerably better than an R1?

post #7 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndon Reid View Post

@Shirty thanks for the insight....

 

All i was getting at is.... has technology changed so much that something new will make a considerable difference.  I am sure someone on here who is an equipment buff can comment


If you want to see the numbers, go do a fitting.  Take your current driver with you and pick out a few drivers in your price range you may be interesting in purchasing.  Get a certified instructor to assist you and take a look at your numbers  (loft/distance/accuracny, etc) with the different drivers.  If there is a noticeable difference then you can make the call if you want to purchase one. 

 

However, I think have a solid wedge set is more important, as someone else has said earlier.

post #8 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloverUT View Post


If you want to see the numbers, go do a fitting.  Take your current driver with you and pick out a few drivers in your price range you may be interesting in purchasing.  Get a certified instructor to assist you and take a look at your numbers  (loft/distance/accuracny, etc) with the different drivers.  If there is a noticeable difference then you can make the call if you want to purchase one. 

 

However, I think have a solid wedge set is more important, as someone else has said earlier.

Thank you SloverUT.   We have a golftown here so I will give that a go!  I am def going to invest in some wedges.  

 

I am pretty sure Stan Utley makes loft/bounce recommendations so as soon my book shows up I am ordering some wedges.

post #9 of 37

Every golfer on this forum has a driver until they get a new driver. My experience is that a I won't change clubs until another driver comes along and kicks the old one out of the bag by outperforming it. 

post #10 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TourSpoon View Post

Every golfer on this forum has a driver until they get a new driver. My experience is that a I won't change clubs until another driver comes along and kicks the old one out of the bag by outperforming it. 

There's absolutely nothing wrong with your golf game that can't be cured by your checkbook! a2_wink.gif
post #11 of 37
If you are hitting the R5 straight then there isn't much you will improve with a newer driver. The newer 460 cc drivers with a higher MOI can reduce slices and hooks.
The R5 is a fine driver. No need to change just for the sake of change.
post #12 of 37

No. Based on your assessment above (280-290 yards, mostly well struck, with one or two mishits a round), I'm guessing most guys above a 10 handicap would trade places with you in a heartbeat - I know I certainly would!a2_wink.gif

 

At this point, I would focus your time and your financial resources on your irons and short game. It sounds like you are getting off the tee just fine.

post #13 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

No. Based on your assessment above (280-290 yards, mostly well struck, with one or two mishits a round), I'm guessing most guys above a 10 handicap would trade places with you in a heartbeat - I know I certainly would!a2_wink.gif


At this point, I would focus your time and your financial resources on your irons and short game. It sounds like you are getting off the tee just fine.

Most guys above a plus handicap would be thrilled with that!
post #14 of 37
Keep it in the bag and dont changed it, 280-290 is a well hit ball anywhere, And for the wedges get fit for it rhey will make you wonders once you do it
post #15 of 37

Don't know it well enough but your numbers (if honest!) are good enough to say leave well alone! If it's a 0.83 CoR driver, then I'd say there's not a lot to be gained by upgrading in any case as the modern gizmos don't seem to add a great deal except to the turnover of the OEMs....

post #16 of 37

If youre hitting it 290 and are still a 15 handicap, perhaps you need new wedges, a new putter and shortgame/putting lessons.

post #17 of 37
Thread Starter 

Thanks everyone for the advice.  R5 is staying in the bag.  I continue to hit it very well.  Going to pick up a 58* wedge with some bounce once I get my Utley book and read exactly what he recommends.

 

I have been practicing my putting and chipping.  Using Utley's putting method and have been very comfortable.  Went from high 30's low 40's to low 30's.  Scores are dropping :D

 

Only played 6 full rounds this year but will be playing 1-2 full rounds plus some 9 hole week day rounds now (just joined the golf club).

post #18 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndon Reid View Post

Thanks everyone for the advice.  R5 is staying in the bag.  I continue to hit it very well.  Going to pick up a 58* wedge with some bounce once I get my Utley book and read exactly what he recommends.

 

I have been practicing my putting and chipping.  Using Utley's putting method and have been very comfortable.  Went from high 30's low 40's to low 30's.  Scores are dropping :D

 

Only played 6 full rounds this year but will be playing 1-2 full rounds plus some 9 hole week day rounds now (just joined the golf club).

 

280 ish or so hopefully in the fairway or at least playable. 280 in the woods is another story still not your driver either way.

work on that short game !

Drive for show, putt for dough.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Crushing my oldie of a driver.... do i upgrade