or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Shopping for a new 3W and have a few questions.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shopping for a new 3W and have a few questions.

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Last weekend I swung an Adams SpeedLine 3W and then compared it to my i15 3w. I consistenly swung the Adams 5mph faster. The launch monitor showed between 10-15 yards more carry. I didn't feel 100% comfortable with the shaft flex and or setup of the club. But, fast swing speed and further launch can't be overlooked. I need all the xtra yards I can get! I didn't purchase that club, but it has me looking. I don't trade out clubs frequently, but I am assuming technology over the last 2-3 years has improved club head speed and increased distance of drivers and fairway woods. So, is an upgrade imminent? I am considering Calaway and Taylormade 3W's and am wondering what others would recommend? Is the Taylormade Rblz Stage2 Tour the same thing as the Adams? Anyone have experience with the XHot? Open to suggestions. Thanks amac
post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by amac View Post

Last weekend I swung an Adams SpeedLine 3W and then compared it to my i15 3w. I consistenly swung the Adams 5mph faster. The launch monitor showed between 10-15 yards more carry. I didn't feel 100% comfortable with the shaft flex and or setup of the club. But, fast swing speed and further launch can't be overlooked. I need all the xtra yards I can get! I didn't purchase that club, but it has me looking. I don't trade out clubs frequently, but I am assuming technology over the last 2-3 years has improved club head speed and increased distance of drivers and fairway woods. So, is an upgrade imminent? I am considering Calaway and Taylormade 3W's and am wondering what others would recommend? Is the Taylormade Rblz Stage2 Tour the same thing as the Adams? Anyone have experience with the XHot? Open to suggestions. Thanks amac


How far do you hit your current i15 3W?

post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post


How far do you hit your current i15 3W?

 

On the course, I'd say it rolls out about 225-230ish. The launch monitor clocked chs at 85 with my 3w and 90 with the Speedline. The monitor was set up for a driver, so I'm not sure how that would affect accuracy. I'd like to see 240 with my 3w. : )
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by amac View Post

 

On the course, I'd say it rolls out about 225-230ish. The launch monitor clocked chs at 85 with my 3w and 90 with the Speedline. The monitor was set up for a driver, so I'm not sure how that would affect accuracy. I'd like to see 240 with my 3w. : )


I guess at your handicap, you are trying for those birdies and eagles on par 5?

 

When I tested the RBZ 3W, I did get "17 yards" more distance on the monitor as compared to my old Diablo. Both have Stiff shaft the RBZ was the "Tour" model. However, I don't use a 3W, because I hit hybrids more reliably (though shorter).

post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post


I guess at your handicap, you are trying for those birdies and eagles on par 5?

 

When I tested the RBZ 3W, I did get "17 yards" more distance on the monitor as compared to my old Diablo. Both have Stiff shaft the RBZ was the "Tour" model. However, I don't use a 3W, because I hit hybrids more reliably (though shorter).

 

Thinking more about position off the tee and it's what I hit on shorter P4's. Ten more yards = one LESS club! 17 more yards would be a club and a half. I am looking at the Stage 2 Tour. Is that what you hit?
post #6 of 11

Three FWs to consider:

  • Callaway X.Hot family: Really hot face; solid feel with various PX graphite shafts. Gets ball up w/o ballooning, usually longer than RBZ-2
  • Tour Edge Exotics family: XCG (lower profile) and CB (penetrating ball light); get last year's models to save $100 (I bought Exotics game-improvement model XRail in 4W and 7W; have hit some wonderful shots!)
  • TM RBZ Stage 2 family: Have lower profile heads than original RBZ, get ball up better. Has heavier shaft in basic Stage 2; original RBZ had too-light shaft

 

Many people hit the Adams FWs well at recent demo day; just didn't excite me.

post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by amac View Post

 

Thinking more about position off the tee and it's what I hit on shorter P4's. Ten more yards = one LESS club! 17 more yards would be a club and a half. I am looking at the Stage 2 Tour. Is that what you hit?


Possibly, I was not shopping for a 3W, but thought it would be fun to see if the claims were true or not. They were, but I like what I have for my "learning phase". My son might consider it. He also tested it with similar results.

post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WUTiger View Post

Three FWs to consider:

  • Callaway X.Hot family: Really hot face; solid feel with various PX graphite shafts. Gets ball up w/o ballooning, usually longer than RBZ-2
  • Tour Edge Exotics family: XCG (lower profile) and CB (penetrating ball light); get last year's models to save $100 (I bought Exotics game-improvement model XRail in 4W and 7W; have hit some wonderful shots!)
  • TM RBZ Stage 2 family: Have lower profile heads than original RBZ, get ball up better. Has heavier shaft in basic Stage 2; original RBZ had too-light shaft

 

Many people hit the Adams FWs well at recent demo day; just didn't excite me.

 

Good info. I saw you post similar clubs in another thread. My local shop is suggesting the X Hot's. In your assessment, are all X Hot's generally longer than Stage 2 Tour, or is there a specific model you're referencing? The Tour Edge Exotic's seem pricey. I like last year's model for the price break. Soo many blowout sales right now, makes me think new clubs are on the way.
post #9 of 11

I hit a friend's new 3w RBZ (with that compression slot,...like the Adams woods).  It felt GREAT to hit.  Much like my Nike VR Pro's (has a compression channel in the same location as the slots on the other clubs).  Even sounded the same.
 

post #10 of 11
Thread Starter 

Bought my 3 wood today!  I went in to my local Edwin Watts and hit the Callaway X hot, X Hot Pro, TM Rblz Stage 2 and Stage 2 Tour.  I compared all these to my existing i15 3 wood.  First, I concluded that not all monitors are the same.  This monitor clocked my swing speed 5 mph faster than another local golf store.  According to the EW store monitor, I was swinging my Ping 90 mph.  I swung the TM 95-97 mph!  That's quite a difference from the 85mph recorded at the other store. 

 

Anyway, for those looking, I strongly suggest testing as many different clubs as possible.  I didn't like the feel of the Callaway X Hot.  The X Hot Pro felt a little better and I produced decent results.  The TM Stage 2 Tour was too flat - 13* - but is adjustable.  I didn't ask the guy to adjust the loft because I was smashing the TM Stage 2 15*.  The sound difference between these two clubs is easily noticeable.  Depending on what you like, the Callaway is a low thud, while the TM produces a higher pitched ping/crack noise.  Personally, I liked the feel of the flex in the TM shaft better than the Project X Stiff in the Callaway.  Both Pro models had 10 gram heavier shafts and that did slow my swing speed by 2-4 mph.  

 

In the end, I was most consistent with the TM Rocketballz Stage 2 with Stiff shaft.  I don't know anything about the "Rocketfuel" Matrix shaft, but it works with my swing.  The club sets up very square for me and the white head isn't as awkward as I feared.  I consistently hit it 220 + and clocked 95mph + swing speeds.  I am playing in a golf tournament this weekend and can't wait to bring this club to the course.  I post some reports after this club has hit the course a few times.  Thanks for the feedback.

 

amac

post #11 of 11

The X.Hots went about 10 yards longer than the RBZ.Stage 2, in comparing Pro vs. Tour, and standard vs. standard. This was off grass in the outdoors. Also, the X.Hots had more consistent launch. (Pro vs. Tour was mostly stiff shafts, heavier than what I would hit. I would probably order a standard R.flex if I selected a Pro or Tour head.)

 

Tour Edge has a Pre-Owned section on their web site. Some of the FWs a couple of years old are below $200, and still in great shape. Go online and find a shop that carries TE, and then go test-hit.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Shopping for a new 3W and have a few questions.