or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › What "grinds your gears" on the golf course?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What "grinds your gears" on the golf course? - Page 3

post #37 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post

Having the marshall/cart lady pull up behind you and watch you take your shot (which I will probably muff now). I know it's common courtesy and they're doing their job, so what can you do about it?

I don't mind that- what bothers me more is when the cart girl or maintenance staff drive around the course without paying attention to where golfers are hitting shots- i.e. there is a maintenance facility at one of the course that I play which is to the left of a par 3 with a road that comes out halfway between the tee and green...I have had to back off a few shots this season when the maintenance guys have driven out without looking.  Similar thing has happened when the cart girls are driving the course backwards and don't pay attention to whether you are hitting or not.

post #38 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by kw purp View Post

People not understanding how to play properly.

 

Things like, they talk forever on the green after everyone has finished putting instead of talking while they walk to their cart, putting their headcovers on their driver after every tee shot, taking more than 2 practice swings, reading putts from multiple angles when its for bogey or worse, parking there cart far away from the green so after the putt they have to walk forever back to it, not bringing your putter with the wedge when you are chipping, watching your friend hit his shot in the fairway then driving over to your ball afterwards instead of going while he is hitting.

 

I could go on and on and on. Pretty much anything that contributes to slow play. Thank god I was taught by fast players

 

First off, I agree with the majority of what you've said along with the rest of the comments on this thread, and kw purp i'm not trying to single you out or anything... but putting on a headcover?  That takes all of what, 4 or 5 seconds?  I usually walk and I don't like to hear my driver banging around against the other clubs not to mention I then have to find a spot to stuff the cover in the bag.  

 

Reading putts when it's for bogey, as you can see from my handicap, most of my bests putts are for bogey or worse... just because I'm not going to par a hole doesn't mean I'll concede the hole and just pick up or smack it and hope it goes in.  

 

Parking carts away from the green, with this I'm assuming you meant a considerable distance away as most places I've played require you to stay away from greens and tee's.  

 

As I said before, I generally walk and with an open course i can get through 18 in just under 3 hours.  I walked 9 last night in about an hour and 15 minutes.  I'll be the first to admit I'm not the best golfer on the course but I wouldn't say I don't know how to play properly because I replace a headcover or line up a putt for bogey.  

post #39 of 143

I hate guys using extending rods to get golf balls out of the water. I also hate when I get a twosome of guys who are dressed in the 60's who wont let a single through.. only time I ever rush myself to make sure they know that I am faster than them. 

post #40 of 143
I've been seeing more and more 5-somes lately...........I guess if two groups combined during the round it shouldnt matter but I cant help but think they slow down pace of play???
post #41 of 143

I am thinking that if it was Mandatory to play in 4somes, it would make pace of play not faster, but better. IMO

post #42 of 143

A classic for me is people adding up and writing down their score while you are waiting to hit into the green.

 

When there is a 4some who watch each other shoot, and don't start to think about their shot until its their turn, slows the game down so much.

 

I don't think you can complain about head covers or someone having two practice swings.

post #43 of 143

Grounds crew not getting out of the way and letting you play through. I understand they've got work to do but some of these guys are clueless and I'd like to play through without killing anyone. We had a guy yesterday camped out in the center of the fairway putting sand in divots. Didn't seem to bother him that he was right in the middle of the landing zone (which is why there were so many divots to be filled). Tried to wave him off but he insisted on staying in the middle of the fairway. Hard for me to hit a good tee shot when I have to aim right at him.

post #44 of 143

The guys who are adding up scores in the cart next to the green  , while you wait on a par three tee. Also , people who scuff their feet and leave marks all over the greens .

post #45 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicer219 View Post

 

First off, I agree with the majority of what you've said along with the rest of the comments on this thread, and kw purp i'm not trying to single you out or anything... but putting on a headcover?  That takes all of what, 4 or 5 seconds?  I usually walk and I don't like to hear my driver banging around against the other clubs not to mention I then have to find a spot to stuff the cover in the bag.  

 

Reading putts when it's for bogey, as you can see from my handicap, most of my bests putts are for bogey or worse... just because I'm not going to par a hole doesn't mean I'll concede the hole and just pick up or smack it and hope it goes in.  

 

Parking carts away from the green, with this I'm assuming you meant a considerable distance away as most places I've played require you to stay away from greens and tee's.  

 

As I said before, I generally walk and with an open course i can get through 18 in just under 3 hours.  I walked 9 last night in about an hour and 15 minutes.  I'll be the first to admit I'm not the best golfer on the course but I wouldn't say I don't know how to play properly because I replace a headcover or line up a putt for bogey.  

Putting on headcovers when walking is different, I am referring to cart golf.

 

I have no problem reading putts for any score, but you dont need to look from multiple sides and spend a significant amount of time on it.

post #46 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman777 View Post

The guys who are adding up scores in the cart next to the green  , while you wait on a par three tee. Also , people who scuff their feet and leave marks all over the greens .

Oh yeah, that drives me crazy. A lot of my playing partners do that, I practically have to drag them to the next tee box!

post #47 of 143

Yesterday my buddy and I went out around 4:30pm to get in a quick 18.  Unfortunately, there was a high school team out practicing on the front 9 so pace of play was a little slow.  We managed to jump ahead of a group or 2, but we weren't stressing it too much because we knew it would open up on the back 9.  Anyway, we standing on the 9th tee box, my buddy just teed off and I was setting up when a group of 3 (two older ladies and another guy) drove past us (the cart path goes right in front of the tee box).  I had originally seen this group waiting on 2 when we were on 6.  I watched them go all the way to the 10th were a group of 2 was just teeing off.  Long story short, they just got off the 10th tee box as we were driving up.  All three of them proceed to dribble 50 yards shots on every hole log jamming the back 9 and not letting us play through.  It looked like they ended up quitting after 15 but the damage was done as it was almost completely dark when we played the 18th.  We even told a passing ranger on 12, but he just went on his way back to hose down the carts at the clubhouse.

 

If you are going to skip ahead of groups, make sure you keep the pace.  If you can't handle waiting around to hit make sure you aren't making others wait when you do skip. 

post #48 of 143

People who get into the clubhouse and tell EVERY MOTHERTRUCKER about how they hit this "perfect shot", dude.. leave it out, you make yourself look a prick

But even more so.. People who try giving you lessons (especially when they are a worse player than you) .. Played a pro am about a month back, guy off 24 told me to "change my putting stroke because its too short and snappy" .. I laughed in his face so much.

post #49 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroJFrancisco View Post

People who get into the clubhouse and tell EVERY MOTHERTRUCKER about how they hit this "perfect shot", dude.. leave it out, you make yourself look a prick

But even more so.. People who try giving you lessons (especially when they are a worse player than you) .. Played a pro am about a month back, guy off 24 told me to "change my putting stroke because its too short and snappy" .. I laughed in his face so much.

Thats another good one, people handing out tips without being asked. The fact that he was worse than you just exaggerates it.

post #50 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by kw purp View Post

Putting on headcovers when walking is different, I am referring to cart golf.

 

I have no problem reading putts for any score, but you dont need to look from multiple sides and spend a significant amount of time on it.

That's ok bud I usually save 5 seconds by driving away from the teebox while twisting and contorting my body to the rear of the cart so that I can put the headcover back on my driver, while driving, in order to save time.  I've found that it usually saves about 1 minute 10 seconds over 18 holes.  But I lose that time back when I have to tie my golf shoes at the beginning of the round.  I think once I switch to velcro I'll be able to keep up with a guy like you.

 

Also I hate it when people take more than 1/2 of a second to put their ball on a tee.  Just hit it off the deck, you suck.

post #51 of 143

I like the guys that stand on the green after holing out, gazing back up the fairway, and counting their strokes. Yeesh!

post #52 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBam View Post

That's ok bud I usually save 5 seconds by driving away from the teebox while twisting and contorting my body to the rear of the cart so that I can put the headcover back on my driver, while driving, in order to save time.  I've found that it usually saves about 1 minute 10 seconds over 18 holes.  But I lose that time back when I have to tie my golf shoes at the beginning of the round.  I think once I switch to velcro I'll be able to keep up with a guy like you.

 

Also I hate it when people take more than 1/2 of a second to put their ball on a tee.  Just hit it off the deck, you suck.


LOL.   I see people haven't lost their sense of humor through all the grinding ...

 

Reading through the thread, I am guilty of one or two of these.  Who wouldn't be with so many of these grinds some of which are really minor offense at best.   Having said that, I will go take a body contortion lesson to do multiple things at once.   It is either that or a golf lesson to hit my ball straight.  c2_beer.gif

post #53 of 143

Mowers,watering grass, basically any groundskeeping being done while I'm playing.I understand it's a necessity but don't they realize how important this is to me?b2_tongue.gif I'm only out here twice a week for a couple hours, they have the whole rest of the week to mow!

post #54 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBam View Post

That's ok bud I usually save 5 seconds by driving away from the teebox while twisting and contorting my body to the rear of the cart so that I can put the headcover back on my driver, while driving, in order to save time.  I've found that it usually saves about 1 minute 10 seconds over 18 holes.  But I lose that time back when I have to tie my golf shoes at the beginning of the round.  I think once I switch to velcro I'll be able to keep up with a guy like you.

 

Also I hate it when people take more than 1/2 of a second to put their ball on a tee.  Just hit it off the deck, you suck.

 

 

Think of all the time a person wastes by stopping the cart, selecting their club, addressing the ball... you could make up some of that time just driving by and hitting it polo style!  Lol

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › What "grinds your gears" on the golf course?