or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › Welcome › Welcome, Everyone › Youngster signing in
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Youngster signing in - Page 2

post #19 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxforbroke View Post

I was shooting at or under par at age 14, but I played nearly every day from age 5 on. I could break 80 at age 9, but from forward tees. 

Holy Crap that impresses me! And just so there's no confusion, I am not being sarcastic, I really am impressed. And jealous, I can't break 80 from the forward tees now!!!
post #20 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxforbroke View Post

 

I was shooting at or under par at age 14, but I played nearly every day from age 5 on. I could break 80 at age 9, but from forward tees

So what does that mean?

This gets back to a thread a few weeks back where I was trying to establish that claims about scores of kids were meaningless when they were on shortened courses.

Not suggesting 200m carries for kids. Not suggesting they play from the back tees, but when we read that player X, or Tiger broke 70  at age Y, we assume it was from the back tees.

 

The OP, whether he is an adult or just a troll, at the age of "14" has also given us his "opinion" on whether Nicklaus was better than Tiger. 

I wouldn't be giving him a lot of credibility at this point. Especially since his original post was clearly a blatant lie.

post #21 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post

So what does that mean?
This gets back to a thread a few weeks back where I was trying to establish that claims about scores of kids were meaningless when they were on shortened courses.
Not suggesting 200m carries for kids. Not suggesting they play from the back tees, but when we read that player X, or Tiger broke 70  at age Y, we assume it was from the back tees.

The OP, whether he is an adult or just a troll, at the age of "14" has also given us his "opinion" on whether Nicklaus was better than Tiger. 
I wouldn't be giving him a lot of credibility at this point. Especially since his original post was clearly a blatant lie.
It means geauxforbroke played like one of the two prodigal 7 year olds in our league.

These kids don't drive as far as an adult, so it takes an extra stroke now and then. Inside 150 they are both in the hole in 3 or less.
post #22 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post


It means geauxforbroke played like one of the two prodigal 7 year olds in our league.

These kids don't drive as far as an adult, so it takes an extra stroke now and then. Inside 150 they are both in the hole in 3 or less.

 

The only reason why I agree with shorty on the "forward tees" thing is because typically people remove the context when reporting the scores.  They will say some kid shot a 74 at such-n-such course as a 10 year old, neglect to mention it was from the "junior" tees, and everybody will think to themselves, "crap!  I can't even break 80 on that course.  That kid was just a natural!"

 

The scores aren't comparable.  And there's really no way to be able to relate to those scores unless you compare them to other child prodigies or ourselves at that age from forward tees (if we played).

post #23 of 50
Sure, I agree as well. However, 14 year olds, in their league play, need to play from the standard or one back.

I assumed because of the OPs age, that he plays those tees.

I could be wrong in the OPs case.
post #24 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post

Sure, I agree as well. However, 14 year olds, in their league play, need to play from the standard or one back.

I assumed because of the OPs age, that he plays those tees.

I could be wrong in the OPs case.

 

I would agree that the OP would likely be playing those tees.  What he scored, however, I won't speculate on c2_beer.gif

post #25 of 50
Good for you. Soon you'll be able to shoot in the 60's with only 30 mulligans instead of 40; just keep working at it.
post #26 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

 

Okay, first off...welcome to the forum!

 

Second, we need to know what your professional aspirations are and how far you drive the ball.  If you are anywhere north of 135lbs, we will accept nothing less than a 290+ yard driving average.

 

/kidding

Haha. I'm 160 and drive a consistent average of 290 with my new RAZR fit Extreme. I really like that driver.

post #27 of 50
Thread Starter 

Just so everyone knows, I play the blue teams at my club, aka the Championship Tee's. So.. nah, no forward tees :D

post #28 of 50
Thread Starter 

Ok, I don't want to multi-quote like 15 people, so here's a full "essay" to all of your guys' questions:

(Not in order)

 

1. I am not a 9 year old :) I am 14 like I said

 

2. The reason, I think, I was able to go out an shoot a 73 in 3 weeks was because of hard work and a good swing. Like I said, I played golf from 4-9, that's a lot of wiring as my dad say's. For those 5 years, me and my dad, and a coach, worked on my swing day in and day out. My swing now is pretty much identical to Tiger Woods', which can help your game a lot :p Although, I do have my own traits. (I will post a video of my swing on Monday)

 

3. I have worked, so far since coming back to the sport, for 3 weeks, every single day, from 9 in the morning to until dark, usually playing a round of 9 holes or 18. Like I said, nothing but hard work, and a good swing, got me to shoot a 73. 

 

4. I am not an internet troll XD

 

5. Like I said earlier, I play from the blues in my clubs, which are also known as the Championship Tees

 

6. I don't play mulligan golf. I use to, but when I really wanted to do good in tournaments, all my rounds have been solid tournament style rounds. That's it.

 

7. I came to the forums to ask questions, get help, and talk with other golfers. It's hard being out at the course every day and not seeing one other "serious" type of golfer you can bounce ideas off of. Really glad I found the sand trap.

 

Also... MFW I beat Tigers/Jacks record in 20 years from now and me/you revisit this thread

 

post #29 of 50
Thread Starter 

I grew up in the Tiger era. He's my biggest inspiration. Even despite the scandal, I've always looked up to Tiger. He made a mistake, he's sorry as heck, I can forgive him. You can truly tell he regrets what he did.

 

I know / read Tiger looked up to Jack greatly, but I can't relate to looking up to Jack like he did because I didn't watch any of Jacks play live, as I wasn't even close to being a cell :p but I do, however, look up to Tiger greatly. 

post #30 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelzzy View Post

Ok, I don't want to multi-quote like 15 people, so here's a full "essay" to all of your guys' questions:

(Not in order)

 

At least you have clarified yourself so we know for sure that you are lying.

 

You are 14. 

You have worked really hard for 3 weeks.

You consistently hit it 290.

You had 1 over from the Championship tees.

Your swing is pretty much identical to Tiger Woods'.

You play a lot in "tournaments". 

You are planning to be the best golfer in history.

 

Both immodest and  dishonest - a winning combination.

post #31 of 50
LOL
post #32 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post

At least you have clarified yourself so we know for sure that you are lying.

You are 14. 
You have worked really hard for 3 weeks.
You consistently hit it 290.
You had 1 over from the Championship tees.
Your swing is pretty much identical to Tiger Woods'.
You play a lot in "tournaments". 
You are planning to be the best golfer in history.

Both immodest and  dishonest - a winning combination.
Haha, ^^^either very correct... Or very envious! But probably both!
post #33 of 50
Thread Starter 

I'm going to laugh my ass off coming back to this thread in a few years :D

post #34 of 50

Post a video of your swing and if it's very good I'll believe you.

post #35 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac20 View Post

Post a video of your swing and if it's very good I'll believe you.
I wish I had taken a video of my son's (younger than the OP by a year) 260 yard 3W drive yesterday afternoon. I was too busy getting ready for my own drive, and did not expect him to do a full swing because he was injured and was supposedly taking it easy. It was a fluke, but not unusual for him to pull that off when he is fully fit.

Like I stated in an earlier post, we have one 14 year old who normally plays like the OP played his reported round. The only difference is this kid played golf all the way from 5 to 14 (almost 15), and his dad is a single digit handicapper with aspirations for him.

The OP is a high school student already, the junior varsity players at my town's high school are already playing at a very good level. They are pretty much amongst the better players on all the local courses.

Not unusual for 14 year olds with proper training.

I wish the OP the best, he sounds like he could be one of the star players for his high school. Hope to see you at the CIF championships. a1_smile.gif
post #36 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post

You are 14. 
You have worked really hard for 3 weeks.
You consistently hit it 290.
You had 1 over from the Championship tees.
Your swing is pretty much identical to Tiger Woods'.
You play a lot in "tournaments". 
You are planning to be the best golfer in history.

...immodest - a winning combination...
Yup, sounds like a teen to me a3_biggrin.gif).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Welcome, Everyone
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › Welcome › Welcome, Everyone › Youngster signing in