or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Regripping a putter
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Regripping a putter

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
Before I do this myself I thought I'd toss this one out to the Sand Trap Community. Is regripping a putter any different then regripping any other club? And if so what do I need to pay special attention to?

I've regripped everything else in my bag and it's time to regrip my horrific looking Yes! putter with a real grip! I'm just a little concerned I may screw it up since I've never attempted to regrip a putter before.
post #2 of 19

Same just be careful to line it up if it has a flat edge.

post #3 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2512 View Post

Same just be careful to line it up if it has a flat edge.

 

It does, and that's what worries me. All my other grips line up to make the club square and they're all accurate. I've just never used a grip that has a flat edge like a putter grip.
post #4 of 19

I eyeball mine and have never had a problem. A strip of blue painters tape across the head can make it easy to line it up. I did that on my 2ball because it doesn't have a line across the top. It's easier than lining up a putt, you'll be fine. Use a lot of solvent so you can twist it until you are comfortable it's right.

post #5 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2512 View Post

I eyeball mine and have never had a problem. A strip of blue painters tape across the head can make it easy to line it up. I did that on my 2ball because it doesn't have a line across the top. It's easier than lining up a putt, you'll be fine. Use a lot of solvent so you can twist it until you are comfortable it's right.

 

Thanks for the advice.
post #6 of 19

I think I used the flat spot of the grip on a table and a bubble level checking vertically against the putter face to confirm mine last time I did one.

post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown88 View Post

Before I do this myself I thought I'd toss this one out to the Sand Trap Community. Is regripping a putter any different then regripping any other club? And if so what do I need to pay special attention to?

I've regripped everything else in my bag and it's time to regrip my horrific looking Yes! putter with a real grip! I'm just a little concerned I may screw it up since I've never attempted to regrip a putter before.

 

Save yourself some trouble and go with a round grip.

 

http://www.golfsmith.com/product/30039758/winn-excel-soft-oversize-black-grip-%28+1/8

 

I use this grip, with a tone of build up tape, i like a larger putting grip because it stabilizes the wrists for me.  But i don't have to worry about re-gripping problems.

 

For me, i also put lead tape under the grip as i re-grip. I will run led tape down the whole length of the putter grip, then put the regripping double sided tape over top. This acts as a counter weight for me, and it stabilizes my putting stroke even more. I use to have issues were i couldn't take the clubhead back consistently. Adding weight in the grip has helped a ton.

post #8 of 19
Thread Starter 
I don't like round grips for the putter, never used one. The grip I have right now is terrible quality, if it wasn't for that I would never replace it.
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhySoSerious View Post

I think I used the flat spot of the grip on a table and a bubble level checking vertically against the putter face to confirm mine last time I did one.


This may be a given, but the table needs to be horizontally level as well.

 

I just eyeball it, after a few putts across the carpet you can tell if you need to tweak it. I have Super Strokes on all my putters and that makes a minor twist very easy.

post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by airguard View Post


This may be a given, but the table needs to be horizontally level as well.

 

I just eyeball it, after a few putts across the carpet you can tell if you need to tweak it. I have Super Strokes on all my putters and that makes a minor twist very easy.

 

Well not necessarily, because the table is pretty much flat, so as long as what your using to measure the squareness of your putter face is level to the table, you can rotate that table how ever you want.

post #11 of 19

It will cost you $1.00 - $1.50 to have a pro install it.
 

post #12 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by teed off View Post

It will cost you $1.00 - $1.50 to have a pro install it.
 

 

I've regripped a fair share of clubs and am very confident with it, I've just never regripped a putter before. Not that it's expensive, but where I live in South Dakota it ranges from $3-5 per club for labor. That's why I learned how to do it myself!
post #13 of 19

I've never seen 1.50-3.00 per club. Usually 5 dollars is the minimum per club, that i have seen.

 

So for 13 clubs, your looking at $65 dollars + grip cost

post #14 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post

I've never seen 1.50-3.00 per club. Usually 5 dollars is the minimum per club, that i have seen.

 

So for 13 clubs, your looking at $65 dollars + grip cost

 

If you have the grip and supplies it's really cheap. Never seen it for a buck but I have seen $2 or thereabouts before per club.
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post

I've never seen 1.50-3.00 per club. Usually 5 dollars is the minimum per club, that i have seen.

So for 13 clubs, your looking at $65 dollars + grip cost

I regrip all my clubs myself.

A putter, I spend the $3 to have it done by the guy that has the tool to get it right....
post #16 of 19

I also had never gripped a putter before I tried it. everything worked out fine just took my time and double checked the grip with the putter face against a wall to verify a straight correctly aligned grip.

post #17 of 19
I also regrip my own clubs. it makes sure I get good quality, ans regrip the way I like it.
post #18 of 19
Thread Starter 

I finally got my new Winn grip in the mail today and installed it.  The installation went smoothly, looks and feels like it's on straight.  I'm going golfing tomorrow so if my putting is bad I'm going to blame it on my grip not being aligned. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Regripping a putter