or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (Aquaguru)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Swing (Aquaguru)

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

I've been Playing Golf for:​ seriously for 5 years

My current handicap index or average score is: 4-6, average score is 76-80

My typical ball flight is: driver-slight fade, irons-slight draw

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: push out to the right on both driver and irons.

 


 

Videos:

post #2 of 12
Thread Starter 

My apologies if this isn't the type of quality you guys are looking for but its the best I can come up with.  I just shot myself swinging during one of the rounds I played last week by self.  There is a variety of shots (DTL, face) with my irons, wedge, and driver.

post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaguru View Post

My apologies if this isn't the type of quality you guys are looking for but its the best I can come up with.  I just shot myself swinging during one of the rounds I played last week by self.  There is a variety of shots (DTL, face) with my irons, wedge, and driver.

I would recommend that you shrink it down.  It's a long video and starts off with some bad angle shots.  That might drive away some potential good advisors.  Skip to the iron shot at 1:50 because that is a fairly good angle with not too much glare, and the down-the-line iron immediately following is OK too.  Cut the video to 15 seconds or whatever with just those two swings and it'll be easier for the experts to evaluate.

 

I'm not an expert tho, so I can only say nice swing!

 

P.S.  WTF with that tee shot at 1:12?!?!  Is that 18 at Augusta?  Damn that's narrow!

post #4 of 12

looks like a solid athletic swing. One thing I see at first glance is a little too much knee bend. I would take some of that out.

post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 

As requested I made the video shorter here. 

 

Mods if you can replace the original video feel free to.  I would but I can't figure out how to edit my original post.

 

post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

I would recommend that you shrink it down.  It's a long video and starts off with some bad angle shots.  That might drive away some potential good advisors.  Skip to the iron shot at 1:50 because that is a fairly good angle with not too much glare, and the down-the-line iron immediately following is OK too.  Cut the video to 15 seconds or whatever with just those two swings and it'll be easier for the experts to evaluate.

 

I'm not an expert tho, so I can only say nice swing!

 

P.S.  WTF with that tee shot at 1:12?!?!  Is that 18 at Augusta?  Damn that's narrow!

 

That tee shot really isn't that bad.  Its about 15-20 yards narrow, but it does extend for about 125 yards when playing from the tips.  I have measured that before.  When I bring people to play there for there first time they always get nervous about the tee shot because the tree line on the left extends 300 yards down the fairway so the miss is right. However, if you push it right off the box you will be in a lateral (woods).

post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stb5089 View Post

looks like a solid athletic swing. One thing I see at first glance is a little too much knee bend. I would take some of that out.

 

The only reason I bend my knee so much is to prevent myself from really pushing the ball off to the right and the occasional shank.  The knee bend helps promote a slight draw in my swing.  Why that is I have no idea but it has worked for me.

post #8 of 12

As others have said, you've got a nice, athletic swing.  I bet you have a tough time hitting a controlled cut or a fade though...

 

As you begin your down swing, you allow your hips to move toward the ball and your 'butt to come off of the wall.'  This is likely part of your pushes and shanks.  Honestly, I fight this exact issues as well.  I've found its a chain reaction stemming from my takeaway and the depth of my swing arc, relative to the ball.

 

For me, working my hands deeper on my backswing (hands moving close to my right hip and up behind my right shoulder) helps me generated a deeper body turn and better connection between my arms and by body.  Intuitively, this helps me turn onto my left heel through the ball, and keeps my butt from pulling off of the wall.  It's also helped my ball striking, trajectory control and shot shaping... I'm finally able to play fades on my approach shots like I've always wanted.

 

Good Luck.  If I have time, I'll grab some of your video and throw it into Analyzr to illustrate a few things.

post #9 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by delav View Post

As others have said, you've got a nice, athletic swing.  I bet you have a tough time hitting a controlled cut or a fade though...

As you begin your down swing, you allow your hips to move toward the ball and your 'butt to come off of the wall.'  This is likely part of your pushes and shanks.  Honestly, I fight this exact issues as well.  I've found its a chain reaction stemming from my takeaway and the depth of my swing arc, relative to the ball.

For me, working my hands deeper on my backswing (hands moving close to my right hip and up behind my right shoulder) helps me generated a deeper body turn and better connection between my arms and by body.  Intuitively, this helps me turn onto my left heel through the ball, and keeps my butt from pulling off of the wall.  It's also helped my ball striking, trajectory control and shot shaping... I'm finally able to play fades on my approach shots like I've always wanted.

Good Luck.  If I have time, I'll grab some of your video and throw it into Analyzr to illustrate a few things.

You are correct this is the one shot that I do not have control of at all. It only comes up 2-3 times in a round where I truly need this type of shot, but its frustrating that I cannot hit it. The odd thing is I can hit both a controlled draw and fade with the driver 8/10 times.
post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
Any other thoughts or comments
post #11 of 12

Not 100% sure about this, but I thought I'd throw it out there in case some better golfers or pros wanted to comment.

 

My first impression (in terms of possible faults, you've got a really nice swing) was that your follow through feels sort of sawed off.  Like you're always trying to play an 80% knockdown under the wind or something.  I don't have Analyzer or anything so I haven't slowed it down to check, but it looks to me like you get your weight forward at least adequately, but then some of the swings you look like you almost post up once that happens and your weight falls back on your rear foot.  Is that something you've noticed?

 

What happens if you need an extra 5% and really go after it?  Do you finish more forward? If so, does that exacerbate your push miss, making it more frequent?

post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 

I do feel as if I hold back a little bit.  When I want to I can go 100% and get an extra 10 yards out of a shot with no ill effects.  I always have a high shot type, a low penetrating shot is one that I cannot get.  This may be due to the fact that I hold my weight back on my back foot as you pointed out. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Swings
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (Aquaguru)