or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › 2013 Barclay's Championship Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2013 Barclay's Championship Discussion Thread - Page 10

post #163 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by boil3rmak3r View Post

I'm sorry you've had back issues, but I think your correlation between your injuries and anyone else is weak. Who knows the extent of your injury compared to Tigers. If Tiger's pain was exactly like yours (which you have no clue if it was), then your argument would hold water. But you have no clue...

OK, I have no clue what the extent of Tiger's pain is.  That is 100% correct.  But Neither does anybody else besides Tiger ... agreed?  So what seems like a more reasonable conclusion then:

 

"I've had back pain before and his reactions look pretty legit to me, so I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume - because I have absolutely zero evidence to the contrary - that he is really in a lot of pain."

 

Or

 

"I had back pain 30 years ago that was so excrutiating that I would not have been able to play golf, therefore, there is no way that Tiger Woods could be playing golf right now because his wince looked just like my winces 30 years ago, therefore, he is acting like his pain is the same is mine, but it can't be because I wasn't able to play golf then, therefore it is a fact that he is hamming it up for the cameras because, as we all know, Tiger is well known for caring deeply what we all think of him, which is why he is so forthcoming during interviews after rounds, and why he never throws his clubs or curses on camera and why EVERY SINGLE TIME he hits a poor shot he acts like he had an injury."

 

I'm going to go way, way, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out on a limb here and guess that a majority of people are going to choose option A.  Now, perhaps we should move on .......

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post

It's sad that Adam Scott's win has been overshadowed by another Tiger debate. 

 

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v80), quality = 75

Fair enough.

 

Although, besides Adam Scott, I think the more interesting story is whether guys Like Camilo Villegas (110 last week/100 now), Stuart Appleby (123/96), Martin Kaymer (103/90) will be able to continue playing well enough to jump up into the top 70 so they can keep playing.  I don't really understand the Fedex Cup points, so I have no idea how hard or easy it is to jump a bunch of spots in one week, but it's fun to watch.  (Looks like, at a quick glance, that Gary Woodland managed to catapult himself from 60 to 10 last week, and I can only imagine that he was way down there prior to his win in Tahoe (I think?) a couple of weeks prior.)

post #164 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Fair enough.

 

Although, besides Adam Scott, I think the more interesting story is whether guys Like Camilo Villegas (110 last week/100 now), Stuart Appleby (123/96), Martin Kaymer (103/90) will be able to continue playing well enough to jump up into the top 70 so they can keep playing.  I don't really understand the Fedex Cup points, so I have no idea how hard or easy it is to jump a bunch of spots in one week, but it's fun to watch.  (Looks like, at a quick glance, that Gary Woodland managed to catapult himself from 60 to 10 last week, and I can only imagine that he was way down there prior to his win in Tahoe (I think?) a couple of weeks prior.)

For real, I don't know how the Fedex Cup points work either except that the winner gets 2500 points if he wins a playoff tournament. Is there a breakdown somewhere of what others get? 

post #165 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post

For real, I don't know how the Fedex Cup points work either except that the winner gets 2500 points if he wins a playoff tournament. Is there a breakdown somewhere of what others get? 

I found it! ... http://www.pgatour.com/fedexcup/fedexcup-overview.html

 

You'll gain a minimum of 1000 points on the field if you win a playoff event.  And you'll gain at least 2000 points on anybody who doesn't finish in the top 6.  Of course, Tiger and AS have a big lead on the field, so they can afford a small slip up ... a lot more than anybody else.  The difference between 100th place and 3rd place right now is barely more than 2500 points, however, the difference between 3rd and 1st is another 1500.

 

Also, it looks like they reset the points just prior to the Championship so the lead Tiger and Adam have on everybody else would be rendered virtually irrelevant.

post #166 of 186

Ahhh here we go.

http://www.pgatour.com/fedexcup/fedexcup-overview.html

 

Whoa. Getting 1st place in a playoff tournament is a major deal. 1900 more Fedex points then winning a major haha. 

post #167 of 186

LOL we posted within seconds apart.....spooky. 

post #168 of 186

Wait so the points get reset before the final tournament? That's bogus! Someone could win the first 3 playoff tournaments...get 2nd in the final and not win the Fedex Cup....

post #169 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post

Wait so the points get reset before the final tournament? That's bogus! Someone could win the first 3 playoff tournaments...get 2nd in the final and not win the Fedex Cup....

 

Not sure if that's true, would have to do the math, but...

 

Just to be clear to those who might not have checked out that link, they aren't all reset to zero - each player gets their points reset based on the standings at the time.

 

If the points were not reset in some way, someone could win it all without even playing in the last tournament (if they had a big enough lead). I think that happened in the early years of the Cup, so they've tweaked it since then to try to find a balance between that, and still rewarding those with more points going into the final tournament.

 

Also, with the current system anyone in the last tournament has a mathematical chance of winning the cup. (Which I guess adds some excitement.)  However the top 5 control their own destiny in that if any of them win the final, they win the cup regardless of how well anyone else plays. 

 

There's a thread or two somewhere discussing the pros and cons of the system - might be of interest.

post #170 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post

It's sad that Adam Scott's win has been overshadowed by another Tiger debate. 

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v80), quality = 75

If Adam keeps playing like he has this year maybe someday we will talk about him...

For the time being, I am watching Tiger and history being made.
post #171 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post

Wait so the points get reset before the final tournament? That's bogus! Someone could win the first 3 playoff tournaments...get 2nd in the final and not win the Fedex Cup....

Yeah, if one of the guys in 2nd-5th place wins then they'll win the whole thing.  Looks like if you're in the top 5 and you win at East Lake, you win the Cup no matter what else happens.

 

The only way for the guy in 30th place to win the whole thing is for the points leader to come in dead last, the guy in 2nd place to finish lower than 7th, 3rd to finish lower than 4th, 4th to finish lower than 3rd, and 5th and 6th to finish lower than 2nd.  A longshot, to say the least.

 

EDIT:  Sorry ... I was slow in writing this so it looks like I basically copied what sacm said. ;)

post #172 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post

Wait so the points get reset before the final tournament? That's bogus! Someone could win the first 3 playoff tournaments...get 2nd in the final and not win the Fedex Cup....

Yes, in the same way that if you sweep both the ALDS and ALCS and don't allow a single run, you can still lose the World Series.
post #173 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post

Wait so the points get reset before the final tournament? That's bogus! Someone could win the first 3 playoff tournaments...get 2nd in the final and not win the Fedex Cup....

 

They changed it because in a couple of cases the winner of the cup was known before the final event.  

post #174 of 186

Didn't Rory basically do that last year?  Meaning, win a couple early playoff events and then lose even though he appeared rather dominant throughout that stretch?

post #175 of 186

Phan (who won't see this post unless he logs out, I suppose) is now out, primarily for repeatedly calling fellow members "delusional" and changing his story from "fact" to (irrelevant) opinion, etc. But mostly for calling people names and acting like everyone else is an idiot except him, even if he never used the word "idiot" specifically.

post #176 of 186

Darn phanboys.

post #177 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

Phan (who won't see this post unless he logs out, I suppose) is now out, primarily for repeatedly calling fellow members "delusional" and changing his story from "fact" to (irrelevant) opinion, etc. But mostly for calling people names and acting like everyone else is an idiot except him, even if he never used the word "idiot" specifically.

 

Good!!!! I never did like that guy, always starting trouble. Cya Phan, don't let the door slap you in the rear.

post #178 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motley01 View Post

Good!!!! I never did like that guy, always starting trouble. Cya Phan, don't let the door slap you in the rear.

Ummm...he just posted 1 minute ago in another thread.
post #179 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motley01 View Post

 

Good!!!! I never did like that guy, always starting trouble. Cya Phan, don't let the door slap you in the rear.

 

He's just out of this thread.

post #180 of 186

Damn Adam Scott is jacked.  No wonder my fiancee is always cheering for him.  c2_beer.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › 2013 Barclay's Championship Discussion Thread