or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › People who honk 0.000001 seconds after the light turns green
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

People who honk 0.000001 seconds after the light turns green - Page 2

post #19 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

I accidentally use it turning into my driveway half the time, with nobody around me.

Yup, same. I'll often find myself signaling while I pull into a space in an empty parking lot.
post #20 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

I accidentally use it turning into my driveway half the time, with nobody around me.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMPIRE View Post

I also do the same turning into my garage b2_tongue.gif





The failure to use turn/directionals/blinker signals also gripes me. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post

Yup, same. I'll often find myself signaling while I pull into a space in an empty parking lot.

Well then, you guys are alright.
post #21 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

 

What the hell else would you call them? That-a-way lights?

 

HAHA i like that.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post

I never honk my horn, it's not worth it. What drives me nuts is when there is someone in front of me and we are both waiting to turn left and we are both in the intersection they wait until the last second to turn leaving me in the intersection with a red light. Or, people who block the intersection  instead of leaving room to get through to or out of a side street.

 

 

Technically your in the fault there. There's only suppose to be one car in the intersection at a time. If he's pulled up far, your suppose to wait behind the stop bar.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

 

I accidentally use it turning into my driveway half the time, with nobody around me.

 

I also only tend to use my horn after about ten seconds at a light, or when someone cuts me off and I have to brake and they get the five-second long honk to let them know they seriously ****ed up and could have gotten us killed.*

 

* Oftentimes I'll see the car, and will drive defensively so they will not actually hit me even if they cut me off, but I figure the five-second honk may help them be more careful in the future, if I can scare the piss out of them this time around.

 

 

I do the same thing, ive used my turn signal in parking lots, and in my own apartment complex parking lot. Its pretty sad how conditioned i am

 

Usually for a light to turn green, i am pretty fast with my reflexes, so i'll look up, wait a bit, if they guy doesn't even seem like he's moving, he'll get a small tap honk to get his attention. Though i was an ass this morning, i wanted this guy to turn left so i could make the light, so i honked at him. He had plenty of room to make the left turn, but he was going to slow. I was late for work, and didn't want to wait 45-60 seconds on the next green.

 

But i usually save my honking for when it matters. Like if someone cuts me off, or is drifting into my lane. Nothing like honking, seeing the person grip the wheel with a death grip, and jerk to the right. I am just thinking, oh god there going to cause a wreck. please don't over react to a honking horn.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMPIRE View Post

 

Another is if I'm in the fast lane going (obviously going above the speed limit) and some fool decides to merge into the same lane in front of me just to get away from another slow vehicle (like a semi or just any other slow car) and paces with the stupid car they just got away from. If you're going to move to get away from a slow vehicle, why are you going the same speed AFTER the merge?! 

 

I get mad at this at the time, but honestly i can't out right complain about it. The speed limit is the LIMIT. So if your complaining because the guy infront of you is doing the limit and you want to speed, tough shit. I could care less if it is the fast lane. The fast lane is the fast lane up to the speed limit. Oh, i am one of those people who if you tale them, i will put my cruse control on at the same speed with the guy next to me, and just make you sit there and wait. I HATE WHEN PEOPLE TAIL ME, get off the ass of my car, my car doesn't roll that way. 

post #22 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

What the hell else would you call them? That-a-way lights?
Lol, I wish! That's an awesome name.

Turning signals sounds as goofy to me as saying "golfing clubs" ;)

And y'all already know this from Jamos thread, but we don't have expressways either ;)
post #23 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Lol, I wish! That's an awesome name.

Turning signals sounds as goofy to me as saying "golfing clubs" ;)

And y'all already know this from Jamos thread, but we don't have expressways either ;)

We don't really say the word "expressway" much either, he was taking about the expressway, the LIE. (Or at least that's what I assumed.)
post #24 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post

1. Technically your in the fault there. There's only suppose to be one car in the intersection at a time. If he's pulled up far, your suppose to wait behind the stop bar.

 

 

2. Though i was an ass this morning, i wanted this guy to turn left so i could make the light, so i honked at him. He had plenty of room to make the left turn, but he was going to slow. I was late for work, and didn't want to wait 45-60 seconds on the next green.

 

1. That may be true, but way back when I was in driver's ed class, the instructor told us to do it how I do it. Maybe put it to bad instruction I guess. Either way, I do it to maximize the number of cars that can make that oh so important left turn in the small amount of time available when there's no dedicated turn light.

 

2. If you had been right behind him you might have made that light! c5_banana.gif

 

However, this particular thing bothers me less than people who block an entire intersection. There is a lot of construction up here on one side of town that was always busy even without the construction. Now people will still pull into the intersection even though they see the traffic isn't moving on the other side and make it so the cross road is blocked when the light turns red. I've watched the light go all the way through the colors and the people not being able to cross the road because of this. What's even worse is that people will keep moving forward even though their light is red cutting off the people with the green light... For some reason people think that where they need to go is more important than where anyone else needs to go or something.

post #25 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post

We don't really say the word "expressway" much either, he was taking about the expressway, the LIE. (Or at least that's what I assumed.)

Fair enough. All the times ive been out there we've avoided that thing as much as possible. Tried to stick to the parkways. (Another thing we don't have out here ;))

Edit: sorry, that was supposed to be a response to jamo about the LIE ;)
post #26 of 66
Oddly, I had to honk at someone an hour after reading this thread. I almost never have to honk. He took at least five seconds at a green arrow and still wasn't going. He gave me dirty looks when I pulled up beside him after that. Then he went back to looking down at his phone.b2_tongue.gif
post #27 of 66

Here in NY red light cameras are a major cause for people to honk their horns.  The law is you must stop for a full 3 seconds before making a right on red but some people don't know how to count that high or are afraid they will get a ticket so they sit there and wait for the light to turn green even though it's legal to make the right on red.  Those behind the math challenged driver usually go ballistic as they are forced to wait for the light to turn green. 

post #28 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

Here in NY red light cameras are a major cause for people to honk their horns.  The law is you must stop for a full 3 seconds before making a right on red but some people don't know how to count that high or are afraid they will get a ticket so they sit there and wait for the light to turn green even though it's legal to make the right on red.  Those behind the math challenged driver usually go ballistic as they are forced to wait for the light to turn green. 

 

I can't believe Ohio is going to pass laws against red light and speed cameras. I honestly like them. Just because one town put the tolerance for that thing at 1 mph over the speed limit, people are crying about it. ITS STILL SPEEDING. Honestly i rather have cops do something else with there time, like protecting people, then trying to write speeding tickets all the time. Also, red light cameras help in decreasing more lethal accidents, such as T-bones. You might get a few more re-end accidents, but people are not dying as much.

post #29 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post

I can't believe Ohio is going to pass laws against red light and speed cameras. I honestly like them. Just because one town put the tolerance for that thing at 1 mph over the speed limit, people are crying about it. ITS STILL SPEEDING. Honestly i rather have cops do something else with there time, like protecting people, then trying to write speeding tickets all the time. Also, red light cameras help in decreasing more lethal accidents, such as T-bones. You might get a few more re-end accidents, but people are not dying as much.

Nothing but a revenue generation device.
post #30 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

Here in NY red light cameras are a major cause for people to honk their horns.  The law is you must stop for a full 3 seconds before making a right on red but some people don't know how to count that high or are afraid they will get a ticket so they sit there and wait for the light to turn green even though it's legal to make the right on red.  Those behind the math challenged driver usually go ballistic as they are forced to wait for the light to turn green. 


I have to laugh when I come to an intersection that is clearly marked no turn on red and I get some idiot behind me beeping because I have the nerve to not turn on red.... I just point up at the sign and watch them throw a fit about me following the law.

post #31 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post

 

I can't believe Ohio is going to pass laws against red light and speed cameras. I honestly like them. Just because one town put the tolerance for that thing at 1 mph over the speed limit, people are crying about it. ITS STILL SPEEDING. Honestly i rather have cops do something else with there time, like protecting people, then trying to write speeding tickets all the time. Also, red light cameras help in decreasing more lethal accidents, such as T-bones. You might get a few more re-end accidents, but people are not dying as much.

They are revenue generators installed under the guise of safety devices.  I am sure they have helped reduce fatalities but overall I believe they have increased the number of accidents in our town.  It's common here for someone attempt to beat the yellow light only to slam on their brakes midway causing the car behind them to rear end them.  At one intersection there is at least one accident a day here due to someone slamming on their brakes to avoid a $50 ticket. 

 

Red light cameras are a different story, police here won't typically pull someone over unless they exceed the speed limit by at least 10 mph.  If they were installed here without a 10 mph tolerance we would have traffic jams 24/7. 

post #32 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

They are revenue generators installed under the guise of safety devices.  I am sure they have helped reduce fatalities but overall I believe they have increased the number of accidents in our town.  It's common here for someone attempt to beat the yellow light only to slam on their brakes midway causing the car behind them to rear end them.  At one intersection there is at least one accident a day here due to someone slamming on their brakes to avoid a $50 ticket. 

 

Red light cameras are a different story, police here won't typically pull someone over unless they exceed the speed limit by at least 10 mph.  If they were installed here without a 10 mph tolerance we would have traffic jams 24/7. 

 

Here's the thing though, people slam on there breaks when there's a cop out there as well.

 

Yes there are some increase in accidents for the fires few months after installing speed enforcement cameras, but that disappear once people get use to were there at. They do there job, they keep people from going fast. Especially when used on some main roadways were people try to fly through the lights. We have some 3 lane roadways through dayton, that need it, because people just fly through down this road. Its 35 mph, and people were going 50+. That is just absurd and overly dangerous. We rather have a few less severe rear-ends than fatality from out of control cars.

 

Red lights will increase more rear-ends, most people will want to stop than get a ticket. But once again, its about defeating another purpose. At intersections that have high accidents, they are usefull to negate a certain type. Believe me, i work in this field. They may generate revenue for the city of dayton, but they do serve another purpose, and its a good one. Once again, people get use to were there at, so they are more cautious around those intersections, and accidents overall lower as well.

 

It was similar to when we turned some one way streets to two way streets downtown. We had a few months were some people would accidently go the wrong way on the wrong side of the road. It was an acceptable effect for the benefits of improved traffic downtown. People are creatures of habit.

post #33 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

They are revenue generators installed under the guise of safety devices.  I am sure they have helped reduce fatalities but overall I believe they have increased the number of accidents in our town.  It's common here for someone attempt to beat the yellow light only to slam on their brakes midway causing the car behind them to rear end them.
Except the only reason for a guy to rear end a guy trying to beat a yellow is if he was idiotic enough to try and beat a red. Not a lot in the way of excuses for that guy.

I agree with what David said ... They are revenue generators, and they are very controversial. On the other hand, if they do also provide for more safety, even if that's not their honest intention, then it's hard to argue against them.
post #34 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Fair enough. All the times ive been out there we've avoided that thing as much as possible. Tried to stick to the parkways. (Another thing we don't have out here ;))

Edit: sorry, that was supposed to be a response to jamo about the LIE ;)

Yeah I meant the LIE, *express*way my ass. I like the GCP too but the entrances and exits were meant for cars that drive much much slower.

I normally say highway. I think carriageway (UK) is even more weird. Like horseless buggy.
post #35 of 66

I was stationed in Japan back in the 80's.  Not only do they drive on the "wrong" side of the road, but it was (assume it still is) actually illegal to blow your horn other than to warn of an unsafe situation.  Amazing, but I've actually seen a line of cars sit quietly at a green light......all the way through until it cycled back to red, without a single beep when the first car wasn't paying attention.

 

It was kind of nice..... 

post #36 of 66

I found that the most honking I have encountered was in Miami. They seem to honk right after the light turns green. I was thinking there was something wrong with me. Then I noticed that is just how it is there.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

Agreed, but it's also annoying when you sit there quietly waiting for the person in front go only to see that they are busy sending a text or e-mail instead of watching the light. 

This drives me insane. I don't know what the numbers are but I think it happens to me at least once per day. It is particularly bad in No. California.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Grill Room
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › People who honk 0.000001 seconds after the light turns green