or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Just how long can you use worn Vokeys for?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just how long can you use worn Vokeys for?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
I've got 50, 56 and 60 degree SM Vokeys.

The faces are well and truly worn (especially on the higher lofts). The spin milled finish has worn away and the impact area is now a dark colour rather than chrome. I sharpen the grooves regularly and take care of them.

However, I was wondering just how long I can go on with this before having to replace them?

Just how battered are your Vokeys?
post #2 of 13

When you don't like their spin performance or they don't get up in the air sufficiently.

post #3 of 13

If you are worrying about the wear, it's probably time to start replacing them since it suggests a lack of confidence in the way they'll perform for you.  Not good with those clubs.

post #4 of 13

How long have you had them?  How many rounds?   Unless you've worn the face concave (not likely) and the grooves are still good and clean, you're just fine.

 

Here's my sand wedge for comparision.  Somewhere around 3 years old and probably 300 rounds or so.  Still going strong.....

 

 

1000

post #5 of 13

After reading a similar post, look for worn spots running up the grooves. From these posts, grooves that perform will "catch" the ball and not run up the club face. 

 

If true, David, you better watch those ... they're starting to climb.z2_scared.gif

post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post

After reading a similar post, look for worn spots running up the grooves. From these posts, grooves that perform will "catch" the ball and not run up the club face. 

 

If true, David, you better watch those ... they're starting to climb.z2_scared.gif

 

I'll finish up this year with 'em ok.  Really haven't noticed any issues yet. 

post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
2 of mine are similar to David's, 1 is worse looking. The grooves are sharp and true (as I sharpen them regularly).

Still spinning and contact is still nice. I like them and I'm confident with them, just wondered what other people have done. I'm reluctant to get rid as they are such a lovely,
Confidence inspiring club.
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene HACKman View Post

2 of mine are similar to David's, 1 is worse looking. The grooves are sharp and true (as I sharpen them regularly).

Still spinning and contact is still nice. I like them and I'm confident with them, just wondered what other people have done. I'm reluctant to get rid as they are such a lovely,
Confidence inspiring club.

Well, the SM5 Vokeys in basic black are sexy ... But if you want utility, there is nothin' like Tour Chrome, or what I call "Satin."

post #9 of 13

Ive played some wedges that I bought used from Ebay and had some pretty chewed up grooves, they still worked just fine.  In some ways, having clean, sharp grooves are overrated.  Its all about quality of strike and speed.

post #10 of 13
I've been playing my Vokeys for four years now and never sharpened the grooves. They may not spin as aggressively as new ones, but they work fine for me. I don't mind the ball stopping close to where it lands on approach shots.
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene HACKman View Post

I've got 50, 56 and 60 degree SM Vokeys.

 The spin milled finish has worn away 

??????????????????????

The "spin milled finish" is the GROOVES, not the fine pattern on the face.

post #12 of 13

If the faces aren't too damaged and you really like them, you might have them regrooved and rechromed. Contact www.GolfWorks.com.

Costs per wedge would be:

  • Regrooving $13
  • Rechroming (including paintfill of engravings) $60
  • Shaft extraction and reassembly (mandatory) $6

 

Or, at $79 a club, you might just get new ones...

post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 
I'm in the UK a4_sad.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Just how long can you use worn Vokeys for?