or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Does this annoy anyone else as well?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Does this annoy anyone else as well? - Page 5

post #73 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post


^Best argument made in this thread yet.

I also think I am going to become a golf tee whisperer as it sounds like the tees have something to say.

 

The Tee Whisperer. I like that.

 

First, ask them if they enjoy their role in life. Ask them if they can relate to strippers: they're broken, discarded, and used for the enjoyment of men (and a few women), and often require only a few singles for a brief bit of attention.

post #74 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

The Tee Whisperer. I like that.

 

First, ask them if they enjoy their role in life. Ask them if they can relate to strippers: they're broken, discarded, and used for the enjoyment of men (and a few women), and often require only a few singles for a brief bit of attention.

Pure genius!  You have a future in this new enterprise as well. 

post #75 of 101

And if OP's observation weren't enough, I'll be some of those people have granite countertops and stainless steel appliances and are shitty cooks.  Some of them might even drive high end sport cars but have never raced on a track.  I knew one guy who played pro V1s and also paid over a grand for a pure bred lab puppy... and it was his first dog.    

post #76 of 101

It really shouldn't bother you but I kind of see the point of seeing some ones ignorance about what it really takes to play this game be sort of annoying.

post #77 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by flopster View Post
 

It really shouldn't bother you but I kind of see the point of seeing some ones ignorance about what it really takes to play this game be sort of annoying.

Ignorance = annoying?  I think some of you guys forgot how it was to start out.

 

Consider the scenario, businessman that's never played golf is invited to golf outing by his boss.  He decides he doesn't want to look like an idiot in front of his boss so he walks into his local golf store to buy some new clubs and get some lessons.  Do you honestly think the salesman is going to sell him a bundled set for $100 if the guy seems willing to pay for more?  Of course not, salesman has him try out some of the latest and greatest SGI irons, most forgiving driver and woods plus a $150+ putter.

 

A newbie isn't on TST or other forums to know that he'll probably hit a used $200 set of Diablo Edges just as well as the $800 set of Ping G25's.  The sales guy isn't going to tell him that a used R11 is just as good the new SLDR or R1.

 

I think in most cases newbie golfers (if they can afford it) buy what the sales person sells them or what their buddies play.

post #78 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

HJ, I'm not going to go on about it, but you and I both know that's bull. Enough of the 'tude dude.

 

 

Or it could snap the tee. Or just push it forward. Or flatten it against the ground.

 

I find it stays pretty much intact with the beaver pelt I cut loose from the ground from my awesome mishit/shank.  Though it's quite a walk to go get that divot and pull the intact tee out - usually a few yards past where the ball landed.

post #79 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

No don't stop them from playing Pro-V1's, its the only way i get to play them, when they loose the ball and i find it ;)

 

Seriously, i have about 6 Pro-V1's i found over the past two years, there in my bag.

 

So i say, Thank you average american golfer, who thinks there good enough to play Pro-V's

I love finding the lost Pro-V1s.  I always tell my golf buddies that I don't want to play that ball because I find so many of them in the water!

post #80 of 101
I could care less what equipment other people use, and the only time I notice is if they have the same sticks as myself or a stick that I'm considering (it makes for an easy conversation starter if you're playing with someone new).

I'm more concerned whether someone is enjoyable to play with, and has reasonable etiquette.
post #81 of 101

What annoys me more is when the bad golfers get the new equipment the day it comes out and expect it to improve their game. Beginners should focus more on their swing and the game before getting the best clubs and balls.

post #82 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrobb911 View Post

What annoys me more is when the bad golfers get the new equipment the day it comes out and expect it to improve their game. Beginners should focus more on their swing and the game before getting the best clubs and balls.
What amuses me is when someone tries to convince their friend to buy that expensive equipment, and sounds more like a salesman than the salesman.
a1_smile.gifa1_smile.gifa1_smile.gif
post #83 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post

What amuses me is when someone tries to convince their friend to buy that expensive equipment, and sounds more like a salesman than the salesman.
a1_smile.gifa1_smile.gifa1_smile.gif

It is no different from anything else - listen to cell phone geeks berate everything else because they want to make it sound like there is no way the made a mistake signing their 2 year contract.

I personally would prefer that nobody copied me so I could stay an individual.
post #84 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

Nah. I play with plenty of people who will use the scrap, broken tees (including me), even if they have to walk 10 yards forward to another set of tees. Even PGA Tour players will do this.

 

I use the plastic tees and don't like trying to shove 'em all the way into the ground. If I can't find a broken tee pretty quickly, I'll use a wooden tee and break it off. I usually have one of those around (or can find one).

I'm the same way........

 

The only time I want a full tee is with the driver.  I prefer a broken tee on every tee shot that isn't a driver.   I tee the ball pretty low for every club except the driver.  I'm not going to walk all over the place looking for one, but I definitely scan the immediate area.....it I see one with enough stick left to stick it in the ground, I'll use it.

post #85 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by meenman View Post
 

All I know is that every driver swing on the range results in either a broken tee or one that goes flying too far to pick up.

 

During my round after hitting the range, I generally use 2 tees, a short one for the par 3s and one for the other 14 holes.

 

That's what I do. They are plastic and generally will not break, so you don't need a lot of them. But the longer plastic tees for the driver act like they have springs in them and I sometimes can't find where it went. Sometimes it is still in the ground or lying just next to where I hit it, or it is five yards behind or five yards ahead.

post #86 of 101
I have a couple buddies that shoot high 90s to low 100s and MUST have expensive gear. They always have bright clothes with bright belts and hats etc. Literally spending thousands on equipment and zero on lessons. But it doesn't bother me because my gear costs the same retail but was purchased on eBay from guys like this that quit after a few months. I also love new golfers that play pro v's. I see it as finding $4 everytime I find one.
post #87 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

Ignorance = annoying?  I think some of you guys forgot how it was to start out.

 

Consider the scenario, businessman that's never played golf is invited to golf outing by his boss.  He decides he doesn't want to look like an idiot in front of his boss so he walks into his local golf store to buy some new clubs and get some lessons.  Do you honestly think the salesman is going to sell him a bundled set for $100 if the guy seems willing to pay for more?  Of course not, salesman has him try out some of the latest and greatest SGI irons, most forgiving driver and woods plus a $150+ putter.

 

A newbie isn't on TST or other forums to know that he'll probably hit a used $200 set of Diablo Edges just as well as the $800 set of Ping G25's.  The sales guy isn't going to tell him that a used R11 is just as good the new SLDR or R1.

 

I think in most cases newbie golfers (if they can afford it) buy what the sales person sells them or what their buddies play.

 

 

This!  Also consider the scenario of just a regular guy who wants to try out the game.  He maybe watches a little golf channel or does some google-ing and all he hears/sees/reads is "get fit for your clubs" . .but he has never swung a club and is intimidated by this process.  He reads countless reviews and is left with his head spinning from all the choices . . . .so he just goes and buys what he sees or reads about everyone else using.  Everyone else being people on tv, avid golfers who post in forums, etc.  That's exactly why I got a Taylor Made driver back when I first started playing - I read it's the most popular driver . .so I figured it would be good enough for me.  It was (is).   

post #88 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmo335i View Post

I have a couple buddies that shoot high 90s to low 100s and MUST have expensive gear. They always have bright clothes with bright belts and hats etc. Literally spending thousands on equipment and zero on lessons. But it doesn't bother me because my gear costs the same retail but was purchased on eBay from guys like this that quit after a few months. I also love new golfers that play pro v's. I see it as finding $4 everytime I find one.

 

You have to look good to play good  :-)

 

I agree with buying the gear on eBay. I've never bought a new club yet (excluding my $20 64 degree). I think that's something that new people should learn to do. Used clubs are half the price and most can be found in near mint condition.

post #89 of 101
I guess my thought would be this....

I started out with a $130 set of acuity golf clubs and played them for the first year. My buddy started out with Clevlands and I still beat him about every game. The swing is Definately most important.

With this said, I have since switched over to name brand clubs that cost me about $1600 and they do really help. My irons hit further, crisper, and are more forgiving, my woods are miles longer (added about 50 yards between my TM driver and my Acuity one) and I would dream of trading them back.

If you had said new guys were out playing 8 degree loft tour drivers with blade irons I would agree with you, but RBZ irons are game improvement irons which are very forgiving and designed for higher handicappers.

Hey man, I used to wonder how everyone had such expensive stuff too, then I figured it out, when you play for years, you buy something each year and eventually you have a very expensive club set.
post #90 of 101

I think in most cases newbie golfers (if they can afford it) buy what the sales person sells them or what their buddies play.

 

 

Really?  I always assume they're trying to sell me the most expensive thing possible regardless of my needs.  Maybe I'm just a pessimist.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Does this annoy anyone else as well?