or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › The word "loose" is not interchangeable with "lose"!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The word "loose" is not interchangeable with "lose"!

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

Sorry (and flame away all you like) but is anyone else frustrated with the number of people who freely use the word "loose" when they actually mean "lose"??? Shouldn't bother me but....

 

One's a verb and the other's an adjective (I think!).

 

"I don't feel like I'm on my game today; think I'm going to lose."

 

"You're going to lose that headcover if you don't make sure you put it back on your putter properly."

 

"What do you know? Must have lost some weight as my jeans are too loose."

 

"Hang loose, man!"

 

 

Etc, etc. Think I need a beer...

post #2 of 10
Tell 'em, "loose has a double O like stool."
That'll help 'em remember!
post #3 of 10

A loose stool can be a dangerous thing. One of my regular golf buddies was a career newspaper photographer -- and later a very successful paparazzo. Way back when, he says, he was doing the crime beat for the Sydney Morning Herald and was called to the aftermath of a pub fight between two groups of Pacific Islanders down on the docks. In the course of which, one Maori had apparently picked up a bar stool and rammed a leg of it right through the head of one Samoan and into the wall behind. Dude was still pinned there, stone dead, when he arrived. The picture didn't make the paper.  

post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post

A loose stool can be a dangerous thing. One of my regular golf buddies was a career newspaper photographer -- and later a very successful paparazzo. Way back when, he says, he was doing the crime beat for the Sydney Morning Herald and was called to the aftermath of a pub fight between two groups of Pacific Islanders down on the docks. In the course of which, one Maori had apparently picked up a bar stool and rammed a leg of it right through the head of one Samoan and into the wall behind. Dude was still pinned there, stone dead, when he arrived. The picture didn't make the paper.  


I was expecting this to be a 'Loose stools for 3 weeks? Consult your doctor!' type of post haha

post #5 of 10

This is a battle "your" "definately" going to "loose."

 

"Their" are simply "to" many people who get this wrong, even though "its" so simple.

post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

This is a battle "your" "definately" going to "loose."

"Their" are simply "to" many people who get this wrong, even though "its" so simple.

'Their' are 'alot' 'off' fools with computers.
post #7 of 10
"Definately" drives me nuts! The root of the word is "finite" people, not "finate".
post #8 of 10

As long as were on this rant, Stanford educated Tiger said that he was "playing good" until his back started to hurt. About half the players they interview say they played good but Tiger knows better.

post #9 of 10
So when am I "suppose to" use loose/lose? I'm not "use to" spelling.
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post

So when am I "suppose to" use loose/lose? I'm not "use to" spelling.

I would rather you don't try and ever use them then use them in a whole nuther way.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Grill Room
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › The word "loose" is not interchangeable with "lose"!