In the spotlight for the wrong reasons on tour this week:
- Jim Furyk not taking his cap off after a round when shaking hands with his playing partners. I get that you are bold and look like something out of Lord of the Rings without your cap, but put your 5 Hour Energy to good use and lift your arm and take your cap off. I don’t care how many wins he has, but show some respect for your fellow Pros and their caddies. If someone like Fowler did this he would get murdered by the media for being arrogant. I really can’t justify Jim’s behaviour in this regard and that’s why he gets nominated.
- This one is aimed at the rule makers in Golf, the A&R etc. The rule that I can’t get my head around is that you are not allowed to move your ball out of a divot in the fairway. I know I’m not alone because Retief Goossen suggested this to be the one rule he would change if he could . You have a bunker to the left, one to the right and then a couple of hundred mini bunkers all over the fairway. It happened to Billy Horschel over the weekend, so it does happen often. Imagine you lose a Major because you hit a perfect drive and it lands in a divot. This rule makes no sense.
- Golf companies brought us a lot of questionable products over the years , but this one takes the cake! You now get underwear that supposedly will improve your game. If you are so well hung that it influences your swing you are propably wasting your time on a golf course. They retail for something like $165 if I remember correctly. I smell a gimmick……
- There has been a lot of talk about slow play and nothing much gets done about it. I can understand the Pros taking their time because there’s big money at stake, but some guys are just ridiculous. The poor Asian guys get penalised (the young kid with the long name and Matsuyama), but the rest of the guys can take all the time they want it appears. What really gets me going is amateurs watching their heroes and then taking AS much time. We have all seen these guys at our clubs. They have a pre shot ritual longer than the Argentine anthem and then they hit a snap hook into the trees. If you want to take ages to hit a shot at least hit a decent one, and if you can’t, the problem is your erratic swing and no amount of set up time is going to fix that.
- Finally let’s talk about baba-boo-ee and the clowns that shout it. You have basically three kinds of genius phrases. They are “baba-boo-ee’, “mashed patatoes” and “get in the hole”. Can these guys not come up with anything better? If you have to act like an idiot and shout, at least put some thought into it. Poulter was being kind when he said they must be tazered. The problem is that when you shout after Tiger hit the ball, there is a guy on the next fairway that was just about to play and now he has to stop and go through his whole pre shot routine again. Hence these shouters of crap promotes slow play as well. I suggest the marshals walk around with a cattle prod and every time a guy shouts “get in the hole” they can grant him his wish.