or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › 235 Out on This Par Five - What's the Play?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

235 Out on This Par Five - What's the Play? - Page 14

post #235 of 263
I admit, I definantly think I know everything, even if I don't(i made my stiff give up because i argued too much) but on this hole it's not like amen corner or anything, no water, and he has plenty of club to get there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxforbroke View Post


post #236 of 263
Your stiff??
post #237 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1998bunker View Post

I admit, I definantly think I know everything, even if I don't(i made my stiff give up because i argued too much) but on this hole it's not like amen corner or anything, no water, and he has plenty of club to get there.

That's right ... there is no trouble in the sense of hazards.  But if you read the whole "answer," he explained that in the front left bunker, you are left with a 40 yard sand shot (who the heck likes those???) and if you go long and left you go down into a deep crevasse that's 10' below the green.

 

So, while you are certainly correct that there is no risk in the sense of penalty strokes ... there is absolutely some risk.

 

Don't worry though ... I knew everything when I was 15 also. ;)

post #238 of 263
M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

Your stiff??
my therapist.
post #239 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1998bunker View Post

I admit, I definantly think I know everything, even if I don't(i made my stiff give up because i argued too much) but on this hole it's not like amen corner or anything, no water, and he has plenty of club to get there.

Like how to spell "definitely."






I kid, I kid.

b2_tongue.gif
post #240 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post

Like how to spell "definitely."

I kid, I kid.

b2_tongue.gif

Maybe he'll end up as an engineer. Everyone knows they can't spell worth a damn! a2_wink.gif
post #241 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post


Maybe he'll end up as an engineer. Everyone knows they can't spell worth a damn! a2_wink.gif

I resembull dat remrrk. a3_biggrin.gif
post #242 of 263

Why I feel good about going for it:

 

This is a tee shot I hit every time I play. With any "normal" shot I will hit the overhanging limbs on the right. The target is a flat landing area from 190 to 220 yards and just left the sprinkler on the right that appears shooting straight up. More than 20 yards left of that leaves a long second shot over water off of a severe downhill lie. Against the wind I cut a 3W. No wind I cut a 5W.

A good shot leaves you with this 130 yard shot across the lake.

The reason laying up to 100 yards isn't my thing. This is the normal landing area on our island green, 100 yards. Unbelievable the amount of golf balls in that lake from that "easy" shot (and lots of mine).

My normal miss on this par 3 is in the shade of the tree to the left of the green. We are looking at the green from left and long. Requires a 60' high flop shot to a very small green sloping away. I don't make par from there every time but I sure do it a lot.

post #243 of 263
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post
 

Why I feel good about going for it:

 

This is a tee shot I hit every time I play. With any "normal" shot I will hit the overhanging limbs on the right. The target is a flat landing area from 190 to 220 yards and just left the sprinkler on the right that appears shooting straight up. More than 20 yards left of that leaves a long second shot over water off of a severe downhill lie. Against the wind I cut a 3W. No wind I cut a 5W.

 

Did you read my post? The landing area is anything but flat - it's got bunkers, a steeply tilted green, and 15' of drop-off. Your tee shot is not much like the one being discussed.

 

Additionally, the answer I propose as the best is NOT a 100-yard layup.

post #244 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

Did you read my post? The landing area is anything but flat - it's got bunkers, a steeply tilted green, and 15' of drop-off. Your tee shot is not much like the one being discussed.

 

Additionally, the answer I propose as the best is NOT a 100-yard layup.

Heck Erik. I never said you proposed a 100 yard lay up. On that part I was agreeing with you 100%. I also never said anything about the landing area being flat. I was just showing that I have to hit a cut every time I play. Wow.

 

I wasn't even saying that your way isn't the smartest play. It's just not the way I would play it.

post #245 of 263
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post
 

Heck Erik. I never said you proposed a 100 yard lay up. On that part I was agreeing with you 100%. I also never said anything about the landing area being flat. I was just showing that I have to hit a cut every time I play. Wow.

 

I wasn't even saying that your way isn't the smartest play. It's just not the way I would play it.

 

I feel like you over-reacted. I was just asking a question - if you read my post. It's quite possible to miss it - there are over 240 others. :-)

 

You said "The target is a flat landing area from 190 to 220." You also commented on why "laying up to 100 yards isn't your thing" or something.

 

So it begged the question whether you saw my post. That's all. Since you didn't say, I'll assume you have. That's all. Have a good evening. :-D

post #246 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

I feel like you over-reacted. I was just asking a question - if you read my post. It's quite possible to miss it - there are over 240 others. :-)

 

You said "The target is a flat landing area from 190 to 220." You also commented on why "laying up to 100 yards isn't your thing" or something.

 

So it begged the question whether you saw my post. That's all. Since you didn't say, I'll assume you have. That's all. Have a good evening. :-D

No problem. I shouldn't have posted the reasons for my choice, and I started not to, but for some reason thought what the heck and hit submit.

 

As I already said earlier there is a good chance that if I saw the situation in person I might change my mind anyway. All golf shots look easy in a picture.:-D

post #247 of 263
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post
 

All golf shots look easy in a picture.:-D

 

Yes. Yes they do!

post #248 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post


Maybe he'll end up as an engineer. Everyone knows they can't spell worth a damn! a2_wink.gif

Hey! What about Pilots!!!

 

I am eager to try Erik's approach more often.  

post #249 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post


Maybe he'll end up as an engineer. Everyone knows they can't spell worth a damn! a2_wink.gif

 

 

Now i know i picked the right career :-P

post #250 of 263
Im from north east and have never played that course. (sad face) and never thanks to it being a country club.. So that said. Im hitting well? My 3 wood hitting 245 with my current flight id go 3 wood for left corner of left side bunker. my 3 wood is a low spinner and will play well into the hill of the "front left bowl". Worst case im on the back-left fringed.
Presuming the pin is sortve central back right from where your tracking...my putt will be ideally 1 foot left of hole and 6-7 feet past. So roughly a 7-8 footer. If its fast it will play shorter, uphill is will play about 10 feet.
If i have any idea how thehe layout is.
post #251 of 263
Oh how I wish I could play this course...sad that its a hometown course and ill never play it
post #252 of 263
I'd attack the hole with the 3-wood because of the wind.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › 235 Out on This Par Five - What's the Play?