or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A Draw swing

post #1 of 62
Thread Starter 
I know this may be a dumb question but what are the hands doing at impact for a draw ball flight? I swing in to out and it goes straight right. I try to rotate my hands through at impact I hit a straight dead left pull. Help!
post #2 of 62
For a right handed golfer:

Grip the club with your first set of knuckles on your right hand. Blade at 12 1/2 o'clock. Ball positioned off your right ankle for shorter irons, and about center for the rest. Keep a loose grip, and the hands will turnover naturally. Bombs away.

Works for me at least.
post #3 of 62
Holding on to the golf club.








Can you be more specific?
post #4 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by swalker View Post

I know this may be a dumb question but what are the hands doing at impact for a draw ball flight? I swing in to out and it goes straight right. I try to rotate my hands through at impact I hit a straight dead left pull. Help!

 

Close the clubface slightly in your hands at set up, and swing normal. Or strengthen your grip a bit

 

Hands will basically not change much. What causes an over the top swing is how body lines up, your hands usually follow the momentum of the swing.

 

What maters is were the clubhead is at compared to the hands. The clubhead will stay outside the hands longer in the swing for a draw. So if you pause the swing, were the hands are about waist high in the follow through, from a down the line view, the clubhead will be closer to the target line, and higher up. While a pull the clubhead will be lower and closer to be hidden by the body.

post #5 of 62
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the comments. I take a very strong grip but the loose grip interests me. I grip the club like I'm hanging on for dear life. I'll try that. Is the club head square to your feet while you're swinging "toward 1st base" or is the club head square to the swing path?
post #6 of 62

If you have the clubface square to your target, and you swing inside to you, you will hit a straight hook

 

If you have the clubface square to your swing path, you will hit a straight push. A Push draw has the clubface slightly open, but the swing path is more from the inside, so it starts right and draws left.

post #7 of 62
Thread Starter 
I did not realize that. All this time I've been trying to close my club face and swing in to out. Thanks. I'll give that a go. Btw you do mean open to the target and not the path, right?
post #8 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by swalker View Post

I did not realize that. All this time I've been trying to close my club face and swing in to out. Thanks. I'll give that a go. Btw you do mean open to the target and not the path, right?

 

Right of the target, with the face closed to the path (or the path farther right than the target).

post #9 of 62
Thread Starter 
Gotcha. One more question then. So if u hit a pull fade or push draw u line up straight toward the target?
post #10 of 62

Depends on your swing. Some people can aim right and hit a push draws. Really it just matters to you. Square to the target line isn't all that important. I use it to diagnose my swing a bit.

 

Like i PM erik on this, about alignment because i have been struggling with it. I aim 15 yards right and hit slight pull draws. When i hit one good i hit push fades and wonder why the ball is ending up right. So, its all relative to how you visualize the target line, and how you see the course, and what your swing does. Basically there's no right answer.

post #11 of 62
Thread Starter 
Thanks.
post #12 of 62
Simple answer.... Point the club face at address where you want the ball to start and swing right of that to create the draw effect. How you achieve ' swinging right' depends on you, but can be achieved fairly easy by aiming your feet, hips and shoulders that direction. This method will feel like your face is just slightly closed to your stance,but still right of the target. Make a normal swing and you don't need any hand rotation/ manipulation to get the ball starting right and drawing back at the target.
post #13 of 62
Thread Starter 
Point the club face at address where you want the ball to start and swing right of that to create the draw effect. This will be very helpful. Thank you. I guess I've just always been told draw meant closed club face, fade was open club face. That may explain the 7 years of frustration. LoL
post #14 of 62
Yep, problem is terms like 'closed' and 'open' are too vague. A proper draw is hit with a face closed to your path but still open to the target. If everything used target as a reference point a lot of misconceptions like terms 'push draw' or 'pull fade' would be cleared up. Instead body orientation gets thrown into the mix which adds to and creates confusion.
post #15 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by swalker View Post

I know this may be a dumb question but what are the hands doing at impact for a draw ball flight? I swing in to out and it goes straight right. I try to rotate my hands through at impact I hit a straight dead left pull. Help!


dont try and do anything with your hands. Swing in to out and try and follow the ball down the line with your hands and naturally they will turn over.

post #16 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1998bunker View Post


dont try and do anything with your hands. Swing in to out and try and follow the ball down the line with your hands and naturally they will turn over.

 

This could or could not be something that works for him. With a lot of tips given, what a person feels doesn't mean it works for another person. What he has to do is watch his swing, either with a mirror or video, and determine what movements in the swing gets him the results he wants. 

 

For example, some people like to feel like they cock their wrists early in the backswing. For me, I feel like i don't cock my wrist at all. So, I can't say cocking or un-cocking the wrists work for someone, just something they have to figure out. 

post #17 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post

 

This could or could not be something that works for him. With a lot of tips given, what a person feels doesn't mean it works for another person. What he has to do is watch his swing, either with a mirror or video, and determine what movements in the swing gets him the results he wants. 

 

For example, some people like to feel like they cock their wrists early in the backswing. For me, I feel like i don't cock my wrist at all. So, I can't say cocking or un-cocking the wrists work for someone, just something they have to figure out. 


yes thats definantly true except turning your hands over will turn the ball over but it is extremly inconsistant and none of the pros do it

 

also for the guy who posted this, tiger bows out is left wrist at the top for a draw, and when i was switching to the drw it would stay out right and my mss would be straight, it worked itself out, but be weary of your swing getting to flat, mine did an i had to completely change it

post #18 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1998bunker View Post


yes thats definantly true except turning your hands over will turn the ball over but it is extremly inconsistant and none of the pros do it

also for the guy who posted this, tiger bows out is left wrist at the top for a draw, and when i was switching to the drw it would stay out right and my mss would be straight, it worked itself out, but be weary of your swing getting to flat, mine did an i had to completely change it

What do you mean by turn the ball over??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips