or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (FooFader)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Swing (FooFader) - Page 3

post #37 of 77
Thread Starter 

Got to the range this afternoon and was videoing almost ever swing to make sure my feelings from indoor practicing during the week were exaggerated enough. First few swings were well off but after that was making some swings with really nice positions at A4. Got my second evolvr upload sent off and maybe Brian will be happy enough with my progress to introduce something new but we'll see.

 

Anyway here is a quick comparison of my A4 between my first evovlr upload 3 weeks ago and my swing today. (i purposely didn't pick my very best swing from the day because that would be kidding myself at the progress, but this was average so to say of my 100% speed swings from earlier today. Definitely changing the picture which is nice.

post #38 of 77
Thread Starter 
Got back my second evolvr lesson. Brian was pleased with my progress in limiting the folding in my right arm. Still need to keep monitoring it as I haven't got it 100% but Brian felt I had enough of a grasp of it to introduce a new priority piece.

New priority piece is working on getting my hands working down away from my chest more. I'm currently dropping them well below the plane at the top and then getting stuck with the club inside at A6. If I can make some progress with this then should be seeing big changes in my ball flight, currently lots of low hooks
post #39 of 77
Thread Starter 
First Roundin a while yesterday. Shot a 89 (+18). Hit 4GIR plus 3 or 4 fringes so should have done a bit better tbh. 36 putts really let me down. Didn't hole anything from more than 2ft.

My swing was feeling good and I got a few videos just to check I wasn't regressing on the backswing piece.

Should be heading to the range today so I'll get some video up and review how I'm doing with getting my hands down quicker in the transition so I don't get "stuck" and swing way to the right.
post #40 of 77
Thread Starter 

Mixed feelings about my practice today.

 

 

Firstly, my backswing piece is looking good, really pleased that I'm not regressing and i think i can have i have it at least 50% mastered but I'll keep an eye on it going forward.

 

Secondly, my new evolvr piece so trying to move my hands from the top of the backswing more outwards and towards the ball rather than straight down. I'm currently getting my hands way behind my body coming into impact and as such swinging way out to the right hitting pushes and hooks all day long.

 

Been working on it for a few days but it's so much harder than my last piece. Cannot make it happen with any consistency even at 20% speed... i uploaded to evolvr again today to ask Brian for his advice on what to feel and any drills. I think this will be my priority piece for the forseable future but i think if i can get it my swing will be in a very good place to start lowering my scores.

 

Off to practice at 10% speed now....

post #41 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by FooFader View Post
 

Mixed feelings about my practice today.

 

Firstly, my backswing piece is looking good, really pleased that I'm not regressing and i think i can have i have it at least 50% mastered but I'll keep an eye on it going forward.

 

Secondly, my new evolvr piece so trying to move my hands from the top of the backswing more outwards and towards the ball rather than straight down. I'm currently getting my hands way behind my body coming into impact and as such swinging way out to the right hitting pushes and hooks all day long.

 

Been working on it for a few days but it's so much harder than my last piece. Cannot make it happen with any consistency even at 20% speed... i uploaded to evolvr again today to ask Brian for his advice on what to feel and any drills. I think this will be my priority piece for the forseable future but i think if i can get it my swing will be in a very good place to start lowering my scores.

 

Off to practice at 10% speed now....

Don't stress about it too much. You got the backswing looking good very fast. You are working something that many students won't work on for quite a while. I have the same issue of dropping the hands to start the downswing.  Just keep at it, you are doing some great work.

post #42 of 77
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post
 

Don't stress about it too much. You got the backswing looking good very fast. You are working something that many students won't work on for quite a while. I have the same issue of dropping the hands to start the downswing.  Just keep at it, you are doing some great work.

Thanks Cipher, i know that I should be pleased with how fast the backswing has come together. I think I need to work on keeping my expectations realistic as much as my swing if i'm to keep practicing diligently.

 

If you have been working on your hand path in the transition and downswing too have you had any feels that have worked well for you?

post #43 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by FooFader View Post
 

If you have been working on your hand path in the transition and downswing too have you had any feels that have worked well for you?

Unfortunately I don't have many good feels for this. I struggled with this myself. Have you tried feeling the left arm working off your chest a bit from the top of the backswing? I have not worked on it for a while directly, but it did improve a bit through working on other things. It will probably be something we continue to work on this year. It is not an easy one.  Maybe one of the instructors will have a feel for you on this.

post #44 of 77
Thread Starter 
@cipher Brian had me try to feel like I was karate chopping the ball but I just couldn't get the feel for it at all. I've sent him another swing asking if he has any other ideas. If I find something that really works for me I'll post it up and let you know a1_smile.gif
post #45 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by FooFader View Post

@cipher Brian had me try to feel like I was karate chopping the ball but I just couldn't get the feel for it at all. I've sent him another swing asking if he has any other ideas. If I find something that really works for me I'll post it up and let you know a1_smile.gif

That sounds good! :-)

post #46 of 77
Thread Starter 

Played 9 holes this evening, the weather was gorgeous which was just as well because i got stuck behind a bunch of 4 balls so was waiting around a lot. Put the time into pitching practice though so all is well.

 

 

Scorecard (Click to show)

 

For the first time in a few months my good shots were little cuts so clearly my swing path is getting less out to the right which was my main evolvr piece. Nice to see things changing but as to be expected so very wild misses cost me on the 3 bad holes today.

 

Putted and chipped like a god though this evening, U&D on all the holes i was near the green. :-) 

post #47 of 77
Thread Starter 

Been getting in a lot of good practice this last week. I've been at home revising for pending exams so every hour i'll take a break and practice for 10 minutes. I think i've finally got the feeling for my hand path right in slow motion so just a case of practice practice practice now. I can't say i have a specific feel that i'm using just kind of doing it :-\ Uploaded to evolvr to check my progress with Brian as i haven't submitted an analysis for ages and i feel it's time to make sure i'm on the right lines.

 

post #48 of 77
Thread Starter 

I have my analysis back from Brian in regards to my video above.

 

He was very pleased with the left arm moving more outwards now and said its pretty much where he wants it now. Just need to keep working on it so the feels become less and less exaggerated whilst still achieving the results. One thing he added was that at impact my left leg could get a bit straighter but i will put that down to not swinging very hard in the above video as before this wasn't a problem but if i keep seeing bent left leg at impact when swinging closer to 100% that's something to work on i think.

 

Will be getting out to the course again tomorrow so hopefully should see some good shots but not expecting too much

post #49 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by FooFader View Post
 

Played 9 holes this evening, the weather was gorgeous which was just as well because i got stuck behind a bunch of 4 balls so was waiting around a lot. Put the time into pitching practice though so all is well.

 

 

Scorecard (Click to show)

 

For the first time in a few months my good shots were little cuts so clearly my swing path is getting less out to the right which was my main evolvr piece. Nice to see things changing but as to be expected so very wild misses cost me on the 3 bad holes today.

 

Putted and chipped like a god though this evening, U&D on all the holes i was near the green. :-) 

 

Excellent!  With scorecards like this, the cap should be dropping.

post #50 of 77
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post
 

 

Excellent!  With scorecards like this, the cap should be dropping

 

It's definitely trending in the right direction :-) As i stated in my posts from a month or so ago my goal is to drop to about a 14 handicap before the end of the year which i think is well within reach. I believe that if i can get playing twice a week i'll get there soon. 

post #51 of 77
Thread Starter 

This last week i have played a lot of golf for me. I've had the week off so have played five rounds at various courses. For the most part been striking the ball ok, and the short game has ranged from hot to cold. My five 18 hole scores were from memory: +16, +16, +18, +15, +23. I think it's fair to say i can definitely see some transfer of improvement from my practice to my game now, my FIR% has gone from ~30 to ~50 and GIR% from ~15 to ~25 which equates to about 2 more GIR per round.

 

This said though i have to be honest and admit to not really practicing this last week and a bit. I've been enjoying the nice weather and free time (not something that happens at same time usually) and playing almost every day. I think my biggest barrier to practice was loosing focus of my priority piece. I got my hands on a good path in my last video and thought i had it where as in reality that was the only swing i really had it... so lots of practice need to make it second nature, i'm certain i've regressed in playing and not practicing for a week. :8)

 

Now i have my confessions off my chest my plan for the next three weeks (during which i also have a good number of days off) is as follows:

 

  1. Upload to Evolvr and get back on track. I've ask Brian to tell me exactly what he wants me to work on and not much else so i don't get distracted.
  2. Mirror work and stretching daily.
  3. If the weather is nice i shall play when i can.
  4. Regardless of weather i shall either practice at home into a net or at the range most days with video on the entire time
  5. I will post videos of my practice to make sure i am actually doing my pieces properly
  6. I hope i can change the picture significantly enough to warrant uploading again to evolvr

 

P.S. If anyone thinks I am not practicing properly or enough (being if i don't upload my practice video within a week but post a million times in the what did you shoot today thread) then please go all Kyle on me. Tell me to stop kidding myself and get practicing. :-D

post #52 of 77

I think it is good you get an opportunity to play and establish your progress. My end goal isn't to have the picture perfect swing(all though that would be nice) I want to improve my total game so I can play golf better, i.e. lower scores.

 

I think you have a good plan and are on a good track. I haven't updated my swing thread in a while due to some family obligations. Doesn't mean I'm not working on improving. If I had a week off I would try to play almost everyday also. Keep up the good work!!!:beer:

post #53 of 77

Don't forget to post videos here.  Seeing others improve is uplifting for myself (and probably others).

post #54 of 77
Thread Starter 

Latest update from Brian regarding my recent upload pretty much confirmed what i knew about the priority piece of getting my hands moving outwards more quickly in the backswing: I can do it quite well in slow motion now but i still have a way to go before i have it at a point where my priority piece will change. (That said, it has improved a long way since we started working on it). 

 

Also Brian talked about getting my wrists to "set" earlier in the backswing which he thinks will clean up a number of issues which all stem from this. But he did stress that i should keep working on my hand path as my priority but can start thinking about my wrists a little.

 

Here is were i was at with this piece before i started, middle is currently at full speed, and the right is where i want to be (it was a 50% swing so want to work towards that position at 100% speed over the next few weeks)

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Swings
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (FooFader)