or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › I need help with slide control
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I need help with slide control

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

Ive been trying to work on my slide but at times i slide too much and it restricts my hips it seems like i'll end up pushing shots. Any drills or tips to help control my hip slide?

 

thanks

post #2 of 17

Recommend taking a look at this drill and trying to incorporate the feel.  The only reason you would hit a big push is if the face is aimed well right.  The slide helps the ball curve left.

 

http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread#post_791160

post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

Recommend taking a look at this drill and trying to incorporate the feel.  The only reason you would hit a big push is if the face is aimed well right.  The slide helps the ball curve left.

 

http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread#post_791160

 

"Former PGA Tour great Jack Nicklaus advises golfers who are pushing shots to the right -- from a right-hander’s perspective -- to investigate a faulty hip turn as the likely culprit. Nicklaus says players who push shots most often slide their hips toward the target on the downswing, rather than rotating."

 

I checked out the video and will look at foot pressure in a minute out back. I do know when i start a slide and if i just do it right, just a tad, everything follows correctly. My problem is sometimes i push too far pulling me, this will make my hips late, not properly rotating and it will also throw my balance off forward.

 

should i just stop the slide and just rotate normally? normal weight transfer does well for me but i notice i dont hit down on the ball as much as im wanting with my irons- the slide helps process.

post #4 of 17

Seems only these 5SK guys advocate 'sliding the hips' as opposed to most instructional schools which tell us to 'twist' or rotate.  My belief is that only fast rotation can give optimum (maximum) club head speed but twisting more difficult for those who did not learn at young age. So, sliding the hips will give, say 70% of optimum, and is much easier to learn and do consistently.  Therefore, to make more golfers  better players and happier, hip sliding becomes the message. 

post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekelly View Post

Seems only these 5SK guys advocate 'sliding the hips' as opposed to most instructional schools which tell us to 'twist' or rotate.  My belief is that only fast rotation can give optimum (maximum) club head speed but twisting more difficult for those who did not learn at young age. So, sliding the hips will give, say 70% of optimum, and is much easier to learn and do consistently.  Therefore, to make more golfers  better players and happier, hip sliding becomes the message. 

Seems to me "those" 5sk guys advocate what the better players "actually" do. Not what they think or tell people they do.
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post

Seems to me "those" 5sk guys advocate what the better players "actually" do. Not what they think or tell people they do.

 

Uh, yes. This.

post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekelly View Post
 

Seems only these 5SK guys advocate 'sliding the hips' as opposed to most instructional schools which tell us to 'twist' or rotate.  My belief is that only fast rotation can give optimum (maximum) club head speed but twisting more difficult for those who did not learn at young age. So, sliding the hips will give, say 70% of optimum, and is much easier to learn and do consistently.  Therefore, to make more golfers  better players and happier, hip sliding becomes the message. 

 

Actually your wrong on this. You need to slide your hips. If you just purely rotate, which most amateur do, your turn rates will be off. Your hips will stop rotating, and then that will just shut down the whole system. I can see were your getting the idea, if you slide, not rotate, then your not going to gain speed because your not rotating. That's no what happens, the problem is most amateurs rotate to early.

 

What sliding does is fit everything together as well as help make sure your hitting the ball first. Also, 5 key's doesn't advocate just sliding, they advocate sliding an turning. The lead hip does move towards the target, but it also moves back and up. As discussed its as a power accumulator, i believe. You increase pressure on your front leg, this helps create the slide. Then your lead leg extends upward in a jump move as your hip moves back and up, creating rotation as well. I wouldn't say sliding hips decreases the ability to generate club head speed.

post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by APrince View Post
 

 

"Former PGA Tour great Jack Nicklaus advises golfers who are pushing shots to the right -- from a right-hander’s perspective -- to investigate a faulty hip turn as the likely culprit. Nicklaus says players who push shots most often slide their hips toward the target on the downswing, rather than rotating."

 

I checked out the video and will look at foot pressure in a minute out back. I do know when i start a slide and if i just do it right, just a tad, everything follows correctly. My problem is sometimes i push too far pulling me, this will make my hips late, not properly rotating and it will also throw my balance off forward.

 

should i just stop the slide and just rotate normally? normal weight transfer does well for me but i notice i dont hit down on the ball as much as im wanting with my irons- the slide helps process.

 

All I can say is that recommend doing what the best players do, not what they say.  It's not just by looking at video but by seeing what their 3D numbers are.  Like we say feel ain't real, the hips transfer forward.  For you I would focus less on the slide and more of the adding pressure into the ground feel, like the video describes.  I may be wrong but I would be surprised if you are sliding your hips too far forward, nothing against you, just not something you see very much.  Your balance may be off because you're trying to slide without having enough flex in the left knee on the downswing.

 

Couple tour players

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekelly View Post
 

Seems only these 5SK guys advocate 'sliding the hips' as opposed to most instructional schools which tell us to 'twist' or rotate.  

 

Like the research has shown, the average PGA Tour player has between 80-95% of his pressure on his front foot at impact. Can't do that with the hips spinning and the hips not going forward.  We also like rotation but in sequence with the lower center transfer, we talk all the time about sliding the hips along the arc.  Meaning as you transfer you are also rotating.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

 

What sliding does is fit everything together as well as help make sure your hitting the ball first. Also, 5 key's doesn't advocate just sliding, they advocate sliding an turning. The lead hip does move towards the target, but it also moves back and up. As discussed its as a power accumulator, i believe. You increase pressure on your front leg, this helps create the slide. Then your lead leg extends upward in a jump move as your hip moves back and up, creating rotation as well. I wouldn't say sliding hips decreases the ability to generate club head speed.

 

Hips aren't a power accumulator (Golfing Machine lingo) and good post.

post #9 of 17

I've been working on sliding my hips and it's been working well last week, but this week I've been having trouble repeating that feel and start getting off balance and not following through fully. I think this could be it. When would you say it the lead leg fully extends and loses the flex? 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

 Your balance may be off because you're trying to slide without having enough flex in the left knee on the downswing.

post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMPIRE View Post

 

When would you say it the lead leg fully extends and loses the flex?

 

Feel will vary, but it typically starts around A6 (shaft parallel to the ground). Sometimes a bit earlier. Some players need to feel it earlier (i.e. immediately from the top - ask Stretch), some later (not until after impact). We've taught players at both ends of the "feel" spectrum on this one.

post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

Feel will vary, but it typically starts around A6 (shaft parallel to the ground). Sometimes a bit earlier. Some players need to feel it earlier (i.e. immediately from the top - ask Stretch), some later (not until after impact). We've taught players at both ends of the "feel" spectrum on this one.

 

Thanks, Erik. I'll see which produces better results. 

post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekelly View Post
 

Therefore, to make more golfers  better players and happier, hip sliding becomes the message. 

 

 

I think that line promotes sliding the hips...which in turn makes it sound like rotating and twisting may not be the best way to play golf

post #13 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

Recommend taking a look at this drill and trying to incorporate the feel.  The only reason you would hit a big push is if the face is aimed well right.  The slide helps the ball curve left.

 

http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread#post_791160

 

while i wasnt doing exactly as the video, i was trying to create that feeling of stepping down like the drill and it helps. By focusing on that rather than my slide it has helped control the slide compared to flowing too far over. now its just recreating it over and over.

 

thanks

post #14 of 17
In Tigers book he said he keeps the weight on the inside of his right foot on the backswing. Helped me tons. You also want to slide foreword but not back.
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1998bunker View Post

In Tigers book he said he keeps the weight on the inside of his right foot on the backswing. Helped me tons. You also want to slide foreword but not back.

 

What tiger feels like he says he does, and what he actually does are probably two different things. Just because he says he keeps the weight on the inside of his right foot, doesn't the weight is actually there.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by APrince View Post
 

 

while i wasnt doing exactly as the video, i was trying to create that feeling of stepping down like the drill and it helps. By focusing on that rather than my slide it has helped control the slide compared to flowing too far over. now its just recreating it over and over.

 

thanks

 

 

I think a lot of people take slide literally. I mean it does happen, but for me small movements in the swing equate big movements on video. If you increase pressure on your front foot, and if your hips are turned on the correct incline, you will slide your hips. For me its not a big feeling though. I think a lot of amateurs want to get a big feeling of something happening to validate the swing change. In terms of sliding the hips, they artificially create this feeling with a reverse weight shift, the upper body moving backwards.

post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

I think a lot of people take slide literally. I mean it does happen, but for me small movements in the swing equate big movements on video. If you increase pressure on your front foot, and if your hips are turned on the correct incline, you will slide your hips. For me its not a big feeling though. I think a lot of amateurs want to get a big feeling of something happening to validate the swing change. In terms of sliding the hips, they artificially create this feeling with a reverse weight shift, the upper body moving backwards.

 

I agree.  But when I am practicing the movement (or any movement for that matter), I really exaggerate it because I know in my full swing, it will likely be the small movement which is what I am looking for....kind of opposite to what you just said, I know.  It's like we have all heard (and I myself didn't realize this until I saw my swing on video) what we feel is not always what is real.

 

Good post

post #17 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN94z View Post
 

 

I agree.  But when I am practicing the movement (or any movement for that matter), I really exaggerate it because I know in my full swing, it will likely be the small movement which is what I am looking for....kind of opposite to what you just said, I know.  It's like we have all heard (and I myself didn't realize this until I saw my swing on video) what we feel is not always what is real.

 

Good post

I believe i was over exaggerating my slide. even though i dont have anyone to film it for me - the realness was pulling me forward.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › I need help with slide control