or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › Sports › 2013 NFL Football
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2013 NFL Football - Page 30

post #523 of 1006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

Not sure why people hate on New York for this time of year.  I think its beautiful in the winter.  I'd much rather be in New York in February than in August. ;)  I can add layers all day long if needed, but when the heat and humidity kick in, not much can be done about that.

 

@dsc123 go check out google maps!  I just went there to see the stadium, and you can actually see how close it is to the old stadium (basically touching) because whenever they took those satellite images they were still demolishing the old one.  Looks pretty cool! :)

 

I like NY where it is. Close, but I don't have to live there. Me and my wife always go to NY a couple of times in the winter. We'll get a nice discounted hotel, get discount tickets for a show and have a great dinner somewhere. A little too cold for a stroll, though. Walking between the buildings is like being in a wind tunnel. I like the spring or fall for walking around.

 

I understand the NHL is having two Winter Classic games outdoors at Yankee Stadium the week of the Super Bowl. That is a GREAT idea.

post #524 of 1006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

Yes!!!!  If your city is getting bombarded with 8 billion rabid football fans, how is it not a good thing that your city already never sleeps, has 9 kajillion hotel rooms, and the best mass transit system on the continent???

 

The last Super Bowl in San Diego was, I think, Green Bay and New England, and all I remember was that city turned into one giant wheel of cheese for that entire week.  ;)

That was actually in New Orleans and it turned out to be a Wisconsin cheddar-fest!  1998 was San Diego and the Broncos romped.

post #525 of 1006

I hope this isn't a cover jinx...

 

post #526 of 1006
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by phan52 View Post

I hope this isn't a cover jinx...


Lol ... Scared of the pokes making a run? After what we saw in Chicago Monday night, I think you can rest easy there.
post #527 of 1006
Quote:
Originally Posted by phan52 View Post

I hope this isn't a cover jinx...



 



 



LOVE IT!!! I think we're good as long as he doesn't also end up on the cover of Madden Football.

I feel pretty good about our last 3 games, I think the toughest will be against the Bears next Sunday night. I honestly like the Eagles chances better if Cutler comes back.
post #528 of 1006

I didn't see much of that game. The one replay I saw was epic!  Love snow games.

post #529 of 1006
I feel dirty for agreeing with Skip Bayless:
Quote:
If you're dreaming of a white NFL Christmas, I say bah humbug.

You sing, "Let it snow!" I say let it go.

For me, watching football played in the snow is abominable, as in snowman.

During Sunday's early games played in the Northeast and Midwest, it once more hit me like an avalanche why I have long wished every National Football League game were played in a climate-controlled dome:

I can't stand seeing the great game of football reduced to an unwatchable joke by snowstorms. Or driving rain. Or howling wind chill.

That's right, Frosty: I have long believed every NFL team should play inside, even in San Diego and Miami -- at least with a retractable roof. One day, I believe, every team will.

You harrumph and say, "We purists believe football was meant to be played in the elements!" Yeah, maybe in the late 1800s. Give it up, Trapper John. We have indoor plumbing now -- and indoor football that makes the wintertime experience far better for players and fans alike. What beats a Super Bowl in the Superdome? Why should "real men" and "real women" suffer frostbite to support their teams?

Trust me, you cannot love football any more than I do. I'd like to think I'm a modernized purist. I just want to see the greatest players in the world be able to prove who's best in perfect conditions. Please, let's lock out Mother Nature.

No, I did not mean to offend you, Oh Great Lady. I just fear what you're going to do to our next Super Bowl, XLVIII, which will be played at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J., the evening of Feb. 2. Naturally, several long-range forecasts warn of freezing precipitation, notably the Farmers' Almanac, which is right about 80 percent of the time: "Intense storm, heavy rain, snow, strong winds. This could seriously impact Super Bowl XLVIII."

Oh, fun!

That's what I really despise about the strong possibility of a Snow Bowl XLVIII: It could become the most talked-about Super Bowl ever. Millions of fans who don't take football all that seriously would gleefully tweet what a hilarious sight this is.

LOL! Look at those hundred-million-dollar prima donnas slipping and falling like cows on ice!

That's why a lot of snow-blind people loved watching the Detroit-Philadelphia game Sunday. What funny fun! Watchin' in a Winter Wonderland!

I had planned to watch two of the NFL's most explosive offenses do battle in a pivotal NFC game. Five real minutes in, I tweeted my disgust and didn't watch another second.

Joke.

The Detroit Lions, I believe, are better than the Philadelphia Eagles. The Lions would've won on a cold, clear day in Philly. The unpredicted severity of snowfall leveled the playing field beneath what looked like a foot of white.

The Lions would've had a far better chance with Reggie Bush. As Eagles running back LeSean McCoy proved with a franchise-record 217 yards rushing -- he did switch to longer cleats -- defensive linemen couldn't get any traction and linebackers and defensive backs often looked as if they were just learning to walk. Reggie would've run wild, too, but he slipped in the pregame snow, aggravated a calf injury and did not play.

Neither quarterback was sacked. Neither team attempted a field goal and both teams went for two after each touchdown. Yard lines and sidelines often weren't visible. The Lions fumbled seven times. Enduring image: Calvin Johnson, the NFL's best receiver, coming up from a catch (one of only three) with a face mask full of snow.

This was not football.

Neither were several other "classic" games with which I had some involvement.



AP Photo
The Ice Bowl remains a classic American sporting event. But should it have even been played?
As a Cowboys nut in 1967, I was convinced my team would beat the dreaded Packers in Green Bay, Wis., for the NFL championship. My team had the more electrifying deep-ball combo: Don Meredith bombs away to Bob Hayes.

But Dallas was dealt the coldest game in NFL history -- minus-13 with a wind chill of minus-48. Meredith managed to complete 10 of 25 passes for all of 59 yards. Hayes caught three for 16. Green Bay won 21-17.

Yes, Green Bay had earned the right to play that game at home in whatever weather. But did that game prove which team was best? NO. That wasn't a fair fight because that wasn't a football game. That was climbing Everest.

I covered the "Joe Montana Cotton Bowl" in something like minus-6 wind chill. It was so cut-through-you cold that a Notre Dame coach named Gruden wouldn't let his son Jon, then in high school, watch from the sideline, sending him instead to the heated team bus. Montana suffered hypothermia and needed chicken soup to raise his temperature at halftime.

The Houston Cougars, the better team, led 34-12 before their brains froze in the fourth quarter. With punts being blown back to Houston's punter, wind-at-his-back Montana scored 23 straight points and his legend was born in a 35-34 win.

The stands were virtually empty. The game shouldn't have been played.

Don't tell me "tropical" cities don't need a dome. I covered a Super Bowl in San Diego -- the Doug Williams game -- in which one end was a quagmire from week-before rain. Peyton Manning won his one Super Bowl in a steady rain in Miami.

I covered the "Tuck Rule Game" -- or Snow Job -- in Foxborough, Mass. The Raiders were the better team but heavy snow kept the score low and close. The Raiders should've won -- Tom Brady clearly fumbled late, down 13-10 -- but Adam Vinatieri did display astonishing balance in avoiding slipping to nail the tying 45-yarder into the wind/snow and a slightly easier winner in overtime.

Home-crowd advantage should be enough. Home-blizzard advantage is absurd.

So many weather-tainted eyesores: the minus-59 wind chill in Cincinnati that denied San Diego Hall of Famer Dan Fouts a Super Bowl shot … the Soldier Field "Fog Bowl" in 1988 … even the Leon Lett snow-slide fumble that cost Jimmy Johnson's Cowboys a Thanksgiving Day game.

As I sit here watching the snow fall in Bristol, Conn., I leave you with words of wisdom once delivered to me by the visionary who was Tex Schramm, who created and built the Dallas Cowboys and helped Pete Rozelle run the NFL.

In 1980, Schramm predicted to me that every NFL city would one day have a retractable-roof dome, but that in the more distant future, every game would be played on a made-for-TV soundstage -- without fans! Cameras would take fans so far inside helmets and huddles and locker rooms that football would be best savored in living rooms or sports bars.

For now, that's beyond my comprehension -- shades of "Hunger Games."

But one day in the near future, you will realize how right I am about football belonging inside. That day just might be Feb. 2.
post #530 of 1006
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonTheSavage View Post

I can't stand seeing the great game of football reduced to an unwatchable joke by snowstorms. Or driving rain. Or howling wind chill.

 

I don't think it was unwatchable. In fact, more people tuned in to watch that game because of the freakish (and let's be honest about it - it was unusual weather; it's not like this weather happens all the time) weather.

 

They still played football. They only ever attempted one kick, but if you're going to get > 50% on your two-point attempts, that just makes sense.

 

I disagree entirely that "football belongs inside."

post #531 of 1006
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

 

I don't think it was unwatchable. In fact, more people tuned in to watch that game because of the freakish (and let's be honest about it - it was unusual weather; it's not like this weather happens all the time) weather.

 

They still played football. They only ever attempted one kick, but if you're going to get > 50% on your two-point attempts, that just makes sense.

 

I disagree entirely that "football belongs inside."

 



Yeah to say the game was unwatchable and a joke was harsh but thats what Bayless does. Im with you there about the whole football belongs inside thing. Thats just taking it too far. I may be ok with northeast and midwest stadiums having some sort of retractable dome thing but how do you enforce that and who pays for it? The NFL?
post #532 of 1006
"The Detroit Lions, I believe, are better than the Philadelphia Eagles. The Lions would've won on a cold, clear day in Philly."

CLEARLY a hack who should be ignored....LOL!
post #533 of 1006
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonTheSavage View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

I don't think it was unwatchable. In fact, more people tuned in to watch that game because of the freakish (and let's be honest about it - it was unusual weather; it's not like this weather happens all the time) weather.

 

They still played football. They only ever attempted one kick, but if you're going to get > 50% on your two-point attempts, that just makes sense.

 

I disagree entirely that "football belongs inside."

 



Yeah to say the game was unwatchable and a joke was harsh but thats what Bayless does. Im with you there about the whole football belongs inside thing. Thats just taking it too far. I may be ok with northeast and midwest stadiums having some sort of retractable dome thing but how do you enforce that and who pays for it? The NFL?

 

I think domes will make the term "home-field-advantage" more prevalent, just like the Seahawks and the Saints. Also, if every team played in domes, shouldn't they change the championship game from Super Bowl to Super Dome? The Saints would be PO'd if they had to rename their stadium. 

post #534 of 1006
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMPIRE View Post
 

 

I think domes will make the term "home-field-advantage" more prevalent, just like the Seahawks ...

??? ;-)

post #535 of 1006
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMPIRE View Post
 

 

I think domes will make the term "home-field-advantage" more prevalent, just like the Seahawks and the Saints. Also, if every team played in domes, shouldn't they change the championship game from Super Bowl to Super Dome? The Saints would be PO'd if they had to rename their stadium. 

 

Seriously, NO

 

Look at Kansas City, Denver, GreenBay.. All of these teams have great fan bases and loud stadiums. Denver was thought to be the loudest stadium in the NFL for years. Want to get a great homefield advantage, get obsessive fans, and a winning team. 

 

No, it should be because the original name "Super Bowl" was derived from the college "Bowl Game" since it was a post season game. So the NFL said, we'll make our own bowl game, but it's SUPER!!!! :beer:

post #536 of 1006
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

 

No, it should be because the original name "Super Bowl" was derived from the college "Bowl Game" since it was a post season game. So the NFL said, we'll make our own bowl game, but it's SUPER!!!! :beer:

Except the term "bowl game" was derived from the stadium name.  Via (the all-knowing ;)) Wikipedia ...

Quote:

The term "bowl" originated from the Rose Bowl Stadium, site of the first post-season college football games. The Rose Bowl Stadium, in turn, takes its name and bowl-shaped design from the Yale Bowl, the prototype of many football stadiums in the United States. In turn, the NFL's "Super Bowl" is a reference to college football bowl games.

So you are correct, however, you have to go back one more step. ;)

post #537 of 1006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

Except the term "bowl game" was derived from the stadium name.  Via (the all-knowing ;)) Wikipedia ...

So you are correct, however, you have to go back one more step. ;)

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

 

Seriously, NO

 

Look at Kansas City, Denver, GreenBay.. All of these teams have great fan bases and loud stadiums. Denver was thought to be the loudest stadium in the NFL for years. Want to get a great homefield advantage, get obsessive fans, and a winning team. 

 

No, it should be because the original name "Super Bowl" was derived from the college "Bowl Game" since it was a post season game. So the NFL said, we'll make our own bowl game, but it's SUPER!!!! :beer:

 

And if all teams played in domes with those same loud crowds in KC, Denver, and Green Bay, don't you think the noise would be louder and more raucous that any offense will probably struggle just a little? 

 

So if the term "bowl" was overall derived from the shape of the stadium, if you implemented all teams play in domes, then technically there is no bowl. I know they won't change the name of the Super Bowl regardless if it's played in a dome or a open-air stadium. I just wanted to point out a stupid technicality.

 

Either way, for football, I don't think there's enough of these "weather" games to justify a change from bowl to dome. I'll admit, I was watching  the Eagles-Lions game this past weekend and I thought it was intriguing to see two teams play in those conditions even though I'm no fan of either team. 

post #538 of 1006
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMPIRE View Post
 

 

I have no clue, and I can't assume it will or it wont. 

 

I've been to many Ohio State games. Seated in the third row, closed end. Seated way up in the C-deck about 30 yard line. There is a considerable drop in sound between sitting up and sitting close to the field. YET!! I have no clue if there is a maximum amount of sound that can be heard at field level. Meaning, it could be louder all around the stadium for the fans. The fans in C-deck might get more sound. That does not mean the sound would be louder on the field. It would be interesting to have someone measure. 

 

Yes, the word Bowl is due to the fact a stadium looks like a bowl. Many stadiums today are out door but don't look like a bowl. Look at many of the college stadiums, they look like a skating half-pipe. The term Bowl game came from the Rose Bowl game, which derived its term from the bowl shape of the Yale Stadium were the first NCAA football game happened. 

 

So if all stadiums were domes, it doesn't change the fact that it is still a Dome shape stadium, but one with a lid on it. Nice try, but the dome has nothing to do with the shape of the stadium it self. 

 

I agree, weather is part of the game. 

post #539 of 1006
And I dont wanna give Seahawks fans that much credit. The place is only as lound as it is because of the acoustic design features or some rubbish like that. You want real loud fans then I'd say visit KC or New Orleans. I apologize now for any other teams I left out LOL.
post #540 of 1006
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMPIRE View Post
 

 

I think domes will make the term "home-field-advantage" more prevalent, just like the Seahawks and the Saints. Also, if every team played in domes, shouldn't they change the championship game from Super Bowl to Super Dome? The Saints would be PO'd if they had to rename their stadium. 

 

Seriously, NO

 

Look at Kansas City, Denver, GreenBay.. All of these teams have great fan bases and loud stadiums. Denver was thought to be the loudest stadium in the NFL for years. Want to get a great homefield advantage, get obsessive fans, and a winning team. 

 

No, it should be because the original name "Super Bowl" was derived from the college "Bowl Game" since it was a post season game. So the NFL said, we'll make our own bowl game, but it's SUPER!!!! :beer:

 

Denver was louder in the old Mile High Stadium.  The new one doesn't seem to focus the sound the same way.  Let's face it, domed stadiums will always have a potential advantage that way because the noise can't escape upwards.  The non dome stadiums need the weather to help even out that advantage, as long as the team is designed for that sort of play.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sports
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › Sports › 2013 NFL Football