or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › Sports › 2013 NFL Football
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2013 NFL Football - Page 43

post #757 of 1006
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
 

 

Um...Jamaal Charles and Knile Davis both went down. He was relying on Cyrus Gray, his 3rd RB who had all of 9 carries this year for 24 yards. Really gonna fault Reid for getting pass happy in that situation?

Absolutely ... because as Phan pointed out ... they ran the ball effectively in the first half.  Charles went down early and they had no problems after that.  Besides, when you're up by 28 points in the second half, it's really not about effectiveness anymore ... it's about chewing clock.

 

From the point that they went up 38-10 until the point that they fell behind they threw 18 passes**, 9 of which fell incomplete.  An incomplete pass takes 5 or 6 seconds, whereas a completed pass inbounds or run can take (if you let it) almost 45 seconds.  If we round the difference to 35 seconds, then that is almost 5:30 minutes of game time they "wasted" by throwing incomplete passes.  Now, maybe it wouldn't have mattered because Indy went ahead with almost 5 minutes left in the game and timeouts in their pocket, but it is still bad game management, IMO.

 

**I could be off by a pass here and there, but it's something close to 9 for 18 during that stretch.

post #758 of 1006
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phan52 View Post
 

 

Another thing Reid did totally in character was fall in love with the passing game again at an inopportune time. They ran the ball effectively in the first half, they had a 28 point lead with 8-9 minutes left in the third quarter, and he gets pass happy. Threw the ball 26 times in the second half, plus two sacks. The Dude outsmarts himself constantly. Run the ball, kill the clock, but nooooo, not Andy. I was LOL the whole second half.

 

Gotta like Andrew Luck's resiliance though. Not many QB's would come back from those killer mistakes.

 

Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
 

 

Um...Jamaal Charles and Knile Davis both went down. He was relying on Cyrus Gray, his 3rd RB who had all of 9 carries this year for 24 yards. Really gonna fault Reid for getting pass happy in that situation?

 

Davis didn't go out until the 4th quarter. What would you do, with a 28 point lead early in the third quarter? Passing is not the ticket, where sacks and incompletions stop the clock. They gave Indy 8 possessions in the second half. In comparison, Philly had 11 possessions in their entire game because NO ran the ball and minimized their possessions. At least make them think you might do it on occasion so they don't just ramp up their pass rush, which Indy did. I think KC ran 8 running plays the whole second half. Andy Reid has a long history of becoming one-dimensional, and he does it to himself.

post #759 of 1006
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by phan52 View Post
 

Andy Reid has a long history of becoming one-dimensional, and he does it to himself.

But he obviously does something right because his teams are successful during the regular season year in and year out.

 

Maybe what he needs is either a dedicated "time management assistant," (lol) or he simply needs to hire an OC that he can trust.

 

There is no question, though, that Reid has always had time management issues.

post #760 of 1006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

But he obviously does something right because his teams are successful during the regular season year in and year out.

 

Maybe what he needs is either a dedicated "time management assistant," (lol) or he simply needs to hire an OC that he can trust.

 

There is no question, though, that Reid has always had time management issues.

 

As a guy who saw every single game Reid coached for 14 years, it was obvious that he has a lot of flaws. His being stubborn is probably his worst characteristic. He comes up with game plans that are usually successful against lesser teams, and he built an impressive overall record by doing that. But when he got in a dogfight against a team that matched up pretty well, he was at a loss. He couldn't adjust on game day and his teams floundered a lot of times.

 

This is his record each year of his head coaching career against teams that made the playoffs that particular year:

 

1999 (3-6), 2000 (1-3), 2001 (1-3), 2002 (3-3), 2003 (3-2), 2004 (2-2), 2005 (0-6), 2006 (3-3), 2007 (2-7), 2008 (4-2), 2009 (0-4), 2010 (1-3), 2011 (1-5), 2012 (1-4), 2013 (1-5).

 

That amounts to a poor record of 26-58. He may get a pass on a few of the losses, like in 2004 and this year when he rested his starters late in the season, but that is Andy Reid. I was tired of has act 5 years ago and I am glad he is gone. I expect more of the same of him in KC, unless he learns to give his assistants more responsibility on game day. But he likes being the boss, especially on the offensive side of the ball.

post #761 of 1006
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by phan52 View Post
 

 

As a guy who saw every single game Reid coached for 14 years, it was obvious that he has a lot of flaws. His being stubborn is probably his worst characteristic. He comes up with game plans that are usually successful against lesser teams, and he built an impressive overall record by doing that. But when he got in a dogfight against a team that matched up pretty well, he was at a loss. He couldn't adjust on game day and his teams floundered a lot of times.

 

This is his record each year of his head coaching career against teams that made the playoffs that particular year:

 

1999 (3-6), 2000 (1-3), 2001 (1-3), 2002 (3-3), 2003 (3-2), 2004 (2-2), 2005 (0-6), 2006 (3-3), 2007 (2-7), 2008 (4-2), 2009 (0-4), 2010 (1-3), 2011 (1-5), 2012 (1-4), 2013 (1-5).

 

That amounts to a poor record of 26-58. He may get a pass on a few of the losses, like in 2004 and this year when he rested his starters late in the season, but that is Andy Reid. I was tired of has act 5 years ago and I am glad he is gone. I expect more of the same of him in KC, unless he learns to give his assistants more responsibility on game day. But he likes being the boss, especially on the offensive side of the ball.

That's probably the best way to sum up Reid in so few words.  He coaches well, he plans well, he probably does a lot of other things well, but if you can't react quickly during games, all of the rest is meaningless.

 

(I still like him though ... he seems like a decent guy :))

post #762 of 1006

3 big point spreads this week, with the SF @ Carolina game being the only tight pick. I think both AFC games will be blowouts for the home teams, but I expect both NFC games to be very close.

post #763 of 1006
Don't think Munchac should have been fired in Tennessee, but really hope the Lions don't hire him.
post #764 of 1006

Dan Snyder just hired his 8th coach in 16 years (Jay Gruden). As an Eagles fan, it's great to have Danny Boy and Jerry the Joke in the division. Automatic competitive advantage.

post #765 of 1006
Quote:
Originally Posted by phan52 View Post
 

Dan Snyder just hired his 8th coach in 16 years (Jay Gruden). As an Eagles fan, it's great to have Danny Boy and Jerry the Joke in the division. Automatic competitive advantage.

I feel bad for Gruden.

post #766 of 1006
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post
 

I feel bad for Gruden.

Gruden didn't have much of a choice as he was in the Bengals dog house.  The Bengals owner, Mike Brown has been very vocal about how Gruden convinced the Bengals to draft Dalton over Kaepernick.  Brown wanted Kaepernick but Gruden claimed Dalton was NFL ready while Kaepernick was a project.  Even when Dalton struggled, Gruden maintained he was right in pushing for Dalton as the Bengals franchise QB.

 

There's no way if SF goes to the Super Bowl again under Kaepernick that Gruden wouldn't have gotten fired.

post #767 of 1006

@newtogolf,

 

I feel bad for him because he is going from a complacent, cheapskate owner to a micromanaging, meddlesome SOB of an owner.  There is no way to win.  These OC and DC coach dream of getting head coaching positions.  But without the support of good owners, they will usually fail.  On the other hand, the money is good!  

 

I heard that the Browns are still paying a ridiculous number of fired coaches money.

post #768 of 1006

Anticlimactic last play in the Saints game. No need to be a rocket scientist to play football but it helps to at least know you can't hurl a second forward pass 10 yards up field. :doh::doh::doh:

post #769 of 1006
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post

Anticlimactic last play in the Saints game. No need to be a rocket scientist to play football but it helps to at least know you can't hurl a second forward pass 10 yards up field. d2_doh.gifd2_doh.gifd2_doh.gif

That play doesn't happen often enough for players to remember. The same thing happened a few years ago with Nick Foles at Arizona, but that's the first and only time I've seen it until yesterday.
post #770 of 1006

The Music City Miracle was a pass on a kick-off that helped the Titans beat Buffalo thus beginning the Curse of Flutie!  I've only rarely seen it on an offensive play.

 

I do remember the Dolphins doing an incredible desperation play.  The first receiver went down the seam on the right hash about 20 yards and did a button hook.  Another receiver did a in route from the opposite hash mark.  Marino drilled the pass to the first receiver just as the other receiver was passing underneath.  The first receiver literally caught it a lateraled the ball at the same time to the second receiver who was running at full speed.  He turned up field catching the other team completely off guard and ran it in for a TD.  The Dolphins won.  I can't remember who they were playing but it was the best end of game play I have ever seen executed.

post #771 of 1006
Refs have been giving the Panthers the shaft so far.
post #772 of 1006
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellysell View Post

Refs have been giving the Panthers the shaft so far.

Not a Panthers fan, but this is getting ridiculous. 15 yards for Panthers head butt, but it's ok when Boldin does it?
post #773 of 1006
Thread Starter 

Never thought I'd ever say this, but I'm really rooting for the Patriots next week!  I've always admired Peyton Manning's skills, but always been annoyed with some of his antics.  His old cheap move was the "Hey look, the defense is subbing and there's one guy who's 60 yards away from the play and jogging off the field who has no intention of being involved in the play but I'm going to hike it real quick so I can get a cheap 5 yards."

 

I learned today that his new move is to try to get the defensive linemen to flinch with hard counts, then have his offensive linemen stand up and smack the guy and act like they were drawn offsides.  Give me a break.  Bush league.  Heck, one of the times today, the defensive lineman wasn't even in the neutral zone, but they gave the Broncos the call anyway.

 

The point of the this rule is to try and prevent the defense from INTENTIONALLY causing the offensive players to false start.  The point WAS NOT to give Peyton Manning the idea that he could cause the defensive players to flinch and then instruct his offensive linemen to act like they were drawn offside when they clearly weren't.

 

This kind of thing is in the same category as soccer and NBA players taking dives to try and draw foul calls.

 

Lame and bush league.

 

Go Patriots!!!

post #774 of 1006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

Never thought I'd ever say this, but I'm really rooting for the Patriots next week!  I've always admired Peyton Manning's skills, but always been annoyed with some of his antics.  His old cheap move was the "Hey look, the defense is subbing and there's one guy who's 60 yards away from the play and jogging off the field who has no intention of being involved in the play but I'm going to hike it real quick so I can get a cheap 5 yards."

 

I learned today that his new move is to try to get the defensive linemen to flinch with hard counts, then have his offensive linemen stand up and smack the guy and act like they were drawn offsides.  Give me a break.  Bush league.  Heck, one of the times today, the defensive lineman wasn't even in the neutral zone, but they gave the Broncos the call anyway.

 

The point of the this rule is to try and prevent the defense from INTENTIONALLY causing the offensive players to false start.  The point WAS NOT to give Peyton Manning the idea that he could cause the defensive players to flinch and then instruct his offensive linemen to act like they were drawn offside when they clearly weren't.

 

This kind of thing is in the same category as soccer and NBA players taking dives to try and draw foul calls.

 

Lame and bush league.

 

Go Patriots!!!

 

Practically every team in the NFL does everything you are trying to push on Manning, including every team still in the playoffs.  Hard counts have been around forever.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sports
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › Sports › 2013 NFL Football