or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Has The Golf Channel helped you play better? Or do you just watch Holly Sonders?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Has The Golf Channel helped you play better? Or do you just watch Holly Sonders?

post #1 of 55
Thread Starter 

I admit to both, but surprised how many times I use the little tips and tricks they give...just this morning I holed in a chip because Mike Breed showed me how!

 

I do this drill often:

 

post #2 of 55

Did you say something?  All I saw was the picture.  

 

Seriously, I really enjoy Michael Breed and Martin Hall.   I've used several of their tips.

post #3 of 55

I like it when Holly Sonders play a few holes with a pro. You get to hear how a pro thinks about a shot and what factors he/she takes into consideration.

post #4 of 55
I like Martin Hall but Breed is just irritating to me.

Mostly I tune out the full swing instruction segments because I don't want to **** up the progress I've made with Evolvr, but I have picked up some good short game info from TGC.
post #5 of 55
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

I like Martin Hall but Breed is just irritating to me.

Mostly I tune out the full swing instruction segments because I don't want to **** up the progress I've made with Evolvr, but I have picked up some good short game info from TGC.

 

WOW!  I'm just the opposite - I get Breed but could strangle Hall...

post #6 of 55

It's entertainment not really golf instruction.  Breed isn't that good, Martin Hall is ok, Frank Nobilo has some solid knowledge.  

post #7 of 55

I just watch Holly.

post #8 of 55

I just watch Win

 

 

(no, I learn very little, the lessons are trite and canned and a bit patronizing in content and delivery - every one to date has seemed a lot more like the "instructor" is just stroking their own egos rather than giving good input.  But.....frankly, how much can you learn from 'generic' lessons in the first place.  They're pretty much the equivalent of a 'quiz' in a women's magazine - time killer and quaint and of little value.)

 


 

Quote:

 

It's entertainment not really golf instruction.

oh,,,, nevermind, Mike stated much more politely

post #9 of 55

I watch the Golf Channel all the time. right now I am like a sponge to golf info.

 

With time I'll learn what works for me and what doesn't.

 

That being said I have greatly improved my irons/chipping and approach shots using tips from Michael Breed.

Although the tips I do are probably common knowledge to most, its new to me.

 

I get bored with Morning Drive really quickly but often have it on as background noise while I get ready.

 

I love all the Golf Fix shows, the one with Holly golfing with pros and the reality show Big Break or something?

 

I also watch random golf play when its on, even LPGA. But I have liked watching golf for years. Like, since I was in 6th grade, like 12,  lol. Its only recently I

picked up a deep admiration for playing and improving my game.

 

 

speaking of which... thinking of ditching work this afternoon to go play. =P

post #10 of 55

We used to have the Golf Channel in the UK, but they've removed it from SKY :-(

post #11 of 55

I just watch Holly.  I liked watching Breed when he had the Big Break ladies on.  Not sure what Breed said though.

 

post #12 of 55
I really only watch it when there's a tournament on, a good movie, or Big Break. I have enough trouble with this game. I don't need to screw myself up any more than I already am by watching Michael Breed and his McLessons.....
post #13 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

 McLessons.....

 

and WINNER for the most brief, but accurate, description in the category of "just what we're talking about"

post #14 of 55

who's Holly Sonders??    yes i watch Michael Breed, and yes it has helped me...

post #15 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

It's entertainment not really golf instruction.  Breed isn't that good, Martin Hall is ok, Frank Nobilo has some solid knowledge.  

 

Can you explain what makes a pro golfer and guy who's been named Teacher of the Year before "not that good"?  Just curious.  I enjoy the show, myself. 

post #16 of 55
His information is garbage-Thats what makes him "not that good"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris223 View Post

Can you explain what makes a pro golfer and guy who's been named Teacher of the Year before "not that good"?  Just curious.  I enjoy the show, myself. 
post #17 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McGleno View Post

His information is garbage-Thats what makes him "not that good"

I've learned a lot from both of them...

I'd love to know what makes you qualified to call thier instruction garbage because I'm sure your the instructor of the year and quite a bit better player right?
post #18 of 55
Teacher of the year is a political thing-He does a lot to promote the PGA with his show. You cant rank who is the Best Instructor so they give it out. There are many examples of Breed giving bad information-Just look around here or other places with knowledgable guys. Im more than qualified as are many others here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchshot View Post

I've learned a lot from both of them...

I'd love to know what makes you qualified to call thier instruction garbage because I'm sure your the instructor of the year and quite a bit better player right?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Has The Golf Channel helped you play better? Or do you just watch Holly Sonders?