or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Courses and Architecture › Uk golf clubs - membership issues
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Uk golf clubs - membership issues

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
On signing up for annual membership what is the chances of the golf club requesting to see proof of age? I've just turned 30 and my annual membership has gone from £350 to £720 a year.
post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdafeck View Post

On signing up for annual membership what is the chances of the golf club requesting to see proof of age? I've just turned 30 and my annual membership has gone from £350 to £720 a year.

 

I'd imagine the chances are pretty good if they have a membership for those 29 and under and a different level for those 30-50 or whatever.

post #3 of 12
^^^^^^^^ What he said above. They'd be really dumb not to check given the price disparity you quote.
post #4 of 12

If a guy will fudge his age to gain an advantage, I wonder what he would do on the golf course?:-X

post #5 of 12

Quite apart from it being a clear case of Fraud with a maximum penalty of 10 years imprisonment if you're caught...

post #6 of 12

They will ask for a DOB to put in their system, along with a picture and other info if it is like a standard US country club.  Of course they will ask.  If you lie and give them a different year on your DOB you will have to "remember" that lie.  

 

Then when you play with other guys and make friends at the club, you'll have to be careful talking about your age.  Then you will sound fishy when talking about high school graduation, college graduation, "I married my wife when I was 29" "But you just told me you're 28?"  So one big lie would then compound into a number of other lies.

 

All that hassle not telling the truth just to save $1 a day?  Man up and pay your fees or pick a different club.

post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBam View Post
 

Man up and pay your fees or pick a different club.

 

yep

post #8 of 12

WOW, I would never want to try to live that lie if I told them I wasn't 30 yet.  I would get caught.  But then, I would never even think about doing it.

post #9 of 12

Wow, double the price for different age brackets? I don't understand different prices for different ages unless it's for minors or seniors. Do you get more benefits in that age bracket for the increase in price?

post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post
 

Wow, double the price for different age brackets? I don't understand different prices for different ages unless it's for minors or seniors. Do you get more benefits in that age bracket for the increase in price?

 

 

Not unusual at all.  A lot of clubs over here do the same thing.  Some call them "Young Executive" memberships or something similar.  Some don't carry voting rights, but other than that generally no difference in benefits.  The purpose is to attract younger members at rates that are somewhat more in line with their relatively lower earnings in the hope that they will remain members moving forward when they can afford the normal rates.

post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
 

 

 

Not unusual at all.  A lot of clubs over here do the same thing.  Some call them "Young Executive" memberships or something similar.  Some don't carry voting rights, but other than that generally no difference in benefits.  The purpose is to attract younger members at rates that are somewhat more in line with their relatively lower earnings in the hope that they will remain members moving forward when they can afford the normal rates.

 

This must be another example of my area being out of touch with how a lot of the other bigger areas are. There is "student pricing" which only applies to college students, juniors, regular, and senior rates. None of the prices are extremely different, usually only about $100 difference between each. The one private club here is much more expensive from what I understand and typically only doctors and lawyers can afford to be members there.

post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post
 

 

This must be another example of my area being out of touch with how a lot of the other bigger areas are. There is "student pricing" which only applies to college students, juniors, regular, and senior rates. None of the prices are extremely different, usually only about $100 difference between each. The one private club here is much more expensive from what I understand and typically only doctors and lawyers can afford to be members there.

 

 

This is strictly private clubs that I'm referring to.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Courses and Architecture
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Courses and Architecture › Uk golf clubs - membership issues