or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › Sports › 2013 MLB Playoffs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2013 MLB Playoffs - Page 4

post #55 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc123 View Post
 

 

There was a test in 2003 that a bunch failed, but then the results were kept secret.  In 2007 the Mitchell report named some players, and in 2009, the 2003 test results were leaked.  That's when A-Rod had his interview about the "willy nilly days" when that stuff was popular.  Ortiz's failed test became public in 2009.  His slide started in 2008, though.

And yet MLB never said what Ortiz failed for or informed Ortiz he failed.  In addition, no other names were conveniently released before the list was destroyed.  No one admitted to being the so-called leaker of the information.  We are just relying on and anonymous source saying they saw names on a list.  

 

If he did fail, and was on the list, then we should demand the other names be released.  I have always maintained that there were other more prominent names on this list that MLB really did not want to have released because it would have affected many World Series.

post #56 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post
 

And yet MLB never said what Ortiz failed for or informed Ortiz he failed.  In addition, no other names were conveniently released before the list was destroyed.  No one admitted to being the so-called leaker of the information.  We are just relying on and anonymous source saying they saw names on a list.  

 

If he did fail, and was on the list, then we should demand the other names be released.  I have always maintained that there were other more prominent names on this list that MLB really did not want to have released because it would have affected many World Series.

 

That's not true.  After it was leaked he contacted the players union and they told him it was true.  He said that in a statement immediately after the news broke.  That's why he always says he doesn't know why he tested positive.  

 

I don't buy your conspiracy theory, either.  What more prominent names are there than Manny, Arod, Ortiz, and Sosa?  Its more likely that whoever leaked it just named the biggest names on the list.  Arod is probably the biggest name there is.  And if they wanted to protect the World Series they wouldn't have leaked Ortiz and Manny who had just propelled Boston to win 2 world series titles for the first time in forever.  

 

The test results were destroyed because that's what MLB and the union agreed to do when they agreed to the test.  It was supposed to be anonymous and to find how how many were cheating and whether testing was necessary, then destroyed.  But the Gov't supoenaed the records in the Balco case before they were destroyed and someone leaked some of it.  

 

 

I don't understand why Ortiz gets a pass when all these other guys get vilified.  I guess its just because Ortiz seems like a nice guy or whatever.  Pettite generally gets a pass, too, and probably for the same reason.  

post #57 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc123 View Post
 

 

That's not true.  After it was leaked he contacted the players union and they told him it was true.  He said that in a statement immediately after the news broke.  That's why he always says he doesn't know why he tested positive.  

 

I don't buy your conspiracy theory, either.  What more prominent names are there than Manny, Arod, Ortiz, and Sosa?  Its more likely that whoever leaked it just named the biggest names on the list.  Arod is probably the biggest name there is.  And if they wanted to protect the World Series they wouldn't have leaked Ortiz and Manny who had just propelled Boston to win 2 world series titles for the first time in forever.  

 

The test results were destroyed because that's what MLB and the union agreed to do when they agreed to the test.  It was supposed to be anonymous and to find how how many were cheating and whether testing was necessary, then destroyed.  But the Gov't supoenaed the records in the Balco case before they were destroyed and someone leaked some of it.  

 

 

I don't understand why Ortiz gets a pass when all these other guys get vilified.  I guess its just because Ortiz seems like a nice guy or whatever.  Pettite generally gets a pass, too, and probably for the same reason.  

I was thinking other Yankees, Marlins, Diamondback, Angels actually.  Why else wouldn't they give out the whole list.  The test results were destroyed because players from the previous few years World Series champs were on the list.  Plus, you assume it was steroids.  Amphetamines are also PEDs.

 

There are others like you that suspect him, but his power numbers are not up.  His walks are way up, which leads to a better batting average.  The Roid Kings were hitting 60 HR in a year.  Ortiz had 30 HR and 103 RBI.  Pretty tame compared to the others.

post #58 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post
 

I was thinking other Yankees, Marlins, Diamondback, Angels actually.  Why else wouldn't they give out the whole list.  The test results were destroyed because players from the previous few years World Series champs were on the list.  Plus, you assume it was steroids.  Amphetamines are also PEDs.

 

To be honest with you, I'm not really sure what you're talking about.  Why wouldn't who give out the whole list?  MLB and the MLBPA agreed to keep it confidential before they even conducted the tests.  I think it was actually supposed to be anonymous and someone screwed that up. And they weren't the ones who leaked any of the names.  I imagine the New York Times didn't get any other names, why would they keep it quiet?   The leak came from lawyers connected to the case in which the gov't seized the documents, I dont know why you would think they would try to protect other World Series teams.  Its seems more likely that the leaker just named the biggest names, doesn't it?  It was revealed that Bonds was not on the list (though the same sample later tested positive for a synthetic that wasn't detectable in 2003).  

 

And I didn't assume anything--I said he tested positive for PEDs.  

post #59 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc123 View Post
 

 

To be honest with you, I'm not really sure what you're talking about.  Why wouldn't who give out the whole list?  MLB and the MLBPA agreed to keep it confidential before they even conducted the tests.  I think it was actually supposed to be anonymous and someone screwed that up. And they weren't the ones who leaked any of the names.  I imagine the New York Times didn't get any other names, why would they keep it quiet?   The leak came from lawyers connected to the case in which the gov't seized the documents, I dont know why you would think they would try to protect other World Series teams.  Its seems more likely that the leaker just named the biggest names, doesn't it?  It was revealed that Bonds was not on the list (though the same sample later tested positive for a synthetic that wasn't detectable in 2003).  

 

And I didn't assume anything--I said he tested positive for PEDs.  

Correct. It was supposed to be anonymous, but they only leaked certain names.  That is what makes it suspicious to me.  Why just those names?  A-Rod, OK they hate A-Rod.  BoSox players?  Rival team.  No one else?  Come on.  Very fishy.

post #60 of 66
I don't think the lawyers who leaked the names see the red sox as their rival. .
post #61 of 66

then why just those three?

post #62 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post
 

then why just those three?

There were 7.  

post #63 of 66

And who were the rest?????

post #64 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post
 

Correct. It was supposed to be anonymous, but they only leaked certain names.  That is what makes it suspicious to me.  Why just those names?  A-Rod, OK they hate A-Rod.  BoSox players?  Rival team.  No one else?  Come on.  Very fishy.

Nothing was more fishy than the Mitchell report - not a single red sux player named when it was common knowledge that ortiz and manram failed tests,

 

It was kind of funny that mitchell was a director of the red sux and and was allowed to perform this conflict of interest. (there were also no brewers named - funny since selig had owned that team)

post #65 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by meenman View Post

Nothing was more fishy than the Mitchell report - not a single red sux player named when it was common knowledge that ortiz and manram failed tests,

It was kind of funny that mitchell was a director of the red sux and and was allowed to perform this conflict of interest. (there were also no brewers named - funny since selig had owned that team)

The Mitchell Report was released in December of 2007.

Eric Gagne played for the Red Sox from August 1st, 2007, until the end of that season. Eric Gagne was named in the Mitchell Report.

Jeremy Giambi played for the Red Sox during the 2003 season. Jeremy Giambi was named in the Mitchell Report.

Mo Vaughn played for the Red Sox from 1991 to 1998. Mo Vaughn was named in the Mitchell Report.

Paxton Crawford played for the Red Sox from 2000 to 2001. Paxton Crawford was named in the Mitchell Report.

Manny Alexander played for the Red Sox in 2000. Manny Alexander was named in the Mitchell Report.

Those are 11 factual sentences. Glean from them what you please.
post #66 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post


The Mitchell Report was released in December of 2007.

Eric Gagne played for the Red Sox from August 1st, 2007, until the end of that season. Eric Gagne was named in the Mitchell Report.

Jeremy Giambi played for the Red Sox during the 2003 season. Jeremy Giambi was named in the Mitchell Report.

Mo Vaughn played for the Red Sox from 1991 to 1998. Mo Vaughn was named in the Mitchell Report.

Paxton Crawford played for the Red Sox from 2000 to 2001. Paxton Crawford was named in the Mitchell Report.

Manny Alexander played for the Red Sox in 2000. Manny Alexander was named in the Mitchell Report.

Those are 11 factual sentences. Glean from them what you please.

ok i was slightly off - no key red sux players were named - mo vaughn was borderline (and was hated for moving on), but there was still a conflict of interest with ortiz and manram being left out

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sports
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › Sports › 2013 MLB Playoffs