or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › Sports › Hybrid Icing in the NHL
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hybrid Icing in the NHL - Page 3

Poll Results: Hybrid Icing (2013 NHL Pre-Season) - Keep it or Go Back to Traditional Icing?

 
  • 100% (12)
    Keep Hybrid Icing
  • 0% (0)
    Revert to Traditional Icing
12 Total Votes  
post #37 of 55
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wils5150 View Post
 

yes you are correct it is a discussion. in post 4 and 5 the new rule was explained by boil3rmak3r and yourself. it s still be a judgement call maybe not all the time but, it still can be. I have learned many things from this forum. sadly one of them is that in your mind your opinion is the only one that's counts. you talk about being a adult and say bite me? lol  a childish comeback indeed!

 

OT Stuff (Click to show)

I don't know if you've got a bug up your rear or what, but I'm writing in an attempt to hash it out. History tells me you've started down a path from which recovery is unlikely, but stranger things have happened.

 

First off, prior to ten minutes ago, I didn't know you from jack. If you believe there's some sort of grudge, or that I seek you out, then you couldn't be farther from the truth. If not, good.

 

Second, nobody's debating that it's not a judgment call. My point was simply that there are plenty of judgment calls in hockey already, including several that both matter quite a bit more than this and which are far more likely to have been wrong. Your argument would be bolstered if you had evidence of them having screwed up even ONE of these icing calls during the hundred or so pre-season games, or even the thousands of games which have been contested under the hybrid icing rule. You presented no such argument, and when someone else (me) disagreed, you resorted to what basically amounts to name-calling.

 

More OT Stuff (Click to show)

So, again, participate in this thread, and on this forum, like an adult, or go away. I don't care which you choose, but your childish antics only serve to make you look bad, not me, and if they continue, you won't have the choice anymore.

 

P.S. Apologies for the first-grade logic, but if my opinion was the only one that counted, I wouldn't even respond to people that disagreed with me. Hell, I wouldn't have a forum. I like debate, and what you fail to understand is that I respect and like people who can actually engage in an intellectual debate without shrinking away and muttering childish insults. So, stick to the topic and debate it. The topic is not me. If you disagree with me, elaborate on why with a compelling post. Thus far, your reasons are weak, and the only thing I've done is call you out on that.

 

The OT stuff ends here. If you want to discuss hybrid icing, this is the thread. If you want to discuss the OT stuff, PM me. It doesn't belong here.

post #38 of 55

seems several agree that it may be a judgement call sometimes. I just dont like judgement calls be it off sides, icing or what ever. I am more of a black and white kind of guy

post #39 of 55
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wils5150 View Post
 

seems several agree that it may be a judgement call sometimes. I just dont like judgement calls be it off sides, icing or what ever. I am more of a black and white kind of guy

 

Uhm…

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

Second, nobody's debating that it's not a judgment call. My point was simply that there are plenty of judgment calls in hockey already, including several that both matter quite a bit more than this and which are far more likely to have been wrong. Your argument would be bolstered if you had evidence of them having screwed up even ONE of these icing calls during the hundred or so pre-season games, or even the thousands of games which have been contested under the hybrid icing rule. You presented no such argument, and when someone else (me) disagreed, you resorted to what basically amounts to name-calling.

 

Someone above pointed out that even touch icing is a judgment call.

post #40 of 55
I heard Stephen Walkum (probably spelled wrong), former supervisor of NHL officials, on xm this morning, and he said in order to reduce injuries, the defence will get the benefit of the doubt in the hybrid icing calls. There will be judgement involved, but if this reduces injuries, it will be worth it. There will always be bad calls, but they get it right the vast majority of the time. I really think this will have very little effect on the game, except to reduce injuries.
post #41 of 55

I'm in favor of this.  Less broken tibulas and high ankle sprains will be better for the game.

post #42 of 55
As a lifetime Wings fan I prefer as classical of rulings as possible. I don't particularly care for the hybrid icing as I enjoy the race for the touch up, but less injuries is always a plus. I haven't seen any injuries in touch ups though, can someone give an example? Also, if the ref calls icing sooner that should give at least 30 seconds a game of more in possession time. I feel I'm being conservative with that estimate.

I also wish to add...hockey season starts Monday!!! So stoked.
post #43 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsivanilla93 View Post

As a lifetime Wings fan I prefer as classical of rulings as possible. I don't particularly care for the hybrid icing as I enjoy the race for the touch up, but less injuries is always a plus. I haven't seen any injuries in touch ups though, can someone give an example? Also, if the ref calls icing sooner that should give at least 30 seconds a game of more in possession time. I feel I'm being conservative with that estimate.

I also wish to add...hockey season starts Monday!!! So stoked.

 

Joni Pitkanen is the most recent.

post #44 of 55

Taylor Fedun had a very good shot at making the Oilers that training camp. He returned to the AHL late last season.
post #45 of 55

Why did everyone go ape shit on Nystrom? Was it a slew foot?? Seemed like clean play to me which, if it was, plainly illustrates why the hybrid icing should be adopted. 

 

As far as the "retribution" everyone wanted to lay on Nystrom, that's another part of the game that needs addressing. I have no issue with fistiecuffs in the NHL, call me old fashion, but I'm a little sick and tired of the people going full-asshat® over legal contact. If Brad Marchand goes for a players knees then yes, an epic beatdown is required but when clean/legal contact leads to an injury...that's just hockey, might as well take an axe to the ice surface because your star player caught an edge an sprained his ankle.

 

And how about John Scott (260lbs) trying to jump Phil Kessel??? That's scary stuff, I detest Phil Kessel but c'mon that was something like an 80lb weight differential.

post #46 of 55
It looked like he put his stick into his skates. As far as retribution goes, I have no problem as long as it is done like it used to be done. I liked it when the guy that recieved the dirty hit turned around and went after the player that delivered the dirty hit. Today, guys like Matt Cooke can end guys career, and then back away with his hands up in the air acting like it was an accident. It seems today, One teams goon will fight the other teams goon. I don't mind fighting, but the way it is done now, is like a circus act.
post #47 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsivanilla93 View Post

As a lifetime Wings fan I prefer as classical of rulings as possible. I don't particularly care for the hybrid icing as I enjoy the race for the touch up, but less injuries is always a plus. I haven't seen any injuries in touch ups though, can someone give an example? Also, if the ref calls icing sooner that should give at least 30 seconds a game of more in possession time. I feel I'm being conservative with that estimate.

I also wish to add...hockey season starts Monday!!! So stoked.
There is some speculation that Joni may never play again, and the season starts Tuesday, Oct. 1.
post #48 of 55

 

Speaking of NHL officiating, I saw this on a hockey forum and thought it was pretty good,

 

Quoted from some guy named Bill:

Here is the NHL’s policy on fighting as I understand it (I use the term understand lightly):

1) You’re not allowed to fight. Ok, you are, but you get a major penalty. So it’s not allowed but it is also allowed.

2) You can fight, but you can’t start the fight. That’s an extra penalty. Though it is pretty impossible to be in a fight that is not started by someone, the penalty for starting a fight is very rarely called. Obviously then, you are not allowed to start a fight but also allowed.

3) You can fight, but not without your helmet, because that might hurt the back of your head instead of the front. However, you can fight without a helmet as long as you don’t take it off yourself, so fighting without a helmet is both allowed and not allowed.

4) You can fight, but not if somebody else is fighting first. That’s a match penalty. So fighting is allowed but also not allowed, especially not fighting during fighting, which is also not allowed but also allowed.

5) You can fight, but you can’t attempt to injure another player, because that’s a match penalty and probably a suspension. Attempting to injure another player is really not allowed (exceptions for players whose names begin with Z), so you can punch somebody’s face repeatedly as long as you are not attempting to injure them while punching their face. So fighting is allowed but also not allowed. So is attempting to injure.

6) You can fight, but not in the last two minutes of the game. That’s a match penalty and a fine. So fighting is allowed but also not allowed but definitely not in the last two minutes, sort of.

Have I got this about right? I mean I’m not exactly Aristotle here, but does this make sense to you?

post #49 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac6 View Post

There is some speculation that Joni may never play again, and the season starts Tuesday, Oct. 1.

I knew it started early next week. Didn't feel like looking it up again. Warren Zevon, thanks for the video. I thought it was a fair race at first, but after a rewind the defensive player clearly had the control. Hybrid icing could have prevented THAT one, but I didn't have a good angle to judge. He could have had his stick in his skates by the time the refs blew the whistle.
post #50 of 55
I had to do an auto draft for a fantasy pool last night due to work, and who gets picked as my first defenseman? Pitkanen. :(
post #51 of 55
Thread Starter 

I haven't seen the news about this - have they adopted this for the regular season, or what? What's the news on it? The story? Either way, I'm curious what was said about the decision.

post #52 of 55
Thread Starter 

I guess because they just announced it yesterday. Silly me, thinking they'd have an official announcement before the overseas games took place! :-P

 

Quote (Link):

Hybrid icing is officially coming to the NHL, Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly announced during an appearance on NHL Live on Monday.

 

The new rule will be implemented for the 2013-14 season after it was used experimentally during preseason games. After the League's Board of Governors approved the use of hybrid icing, the final approval came in a vote by the membership of the National Hockey League Players' Association.

 

In hybrid icing, the linesman has the authority to whistle the play dead on a potential icing if a player from the defending team reaches the dot inside the faceoff circle in the far zone before a member of the clearing time reaches the dot.

 

Here is the official wording of the new rule:

 

Rule 81.1 – Icing: For the purpose of this rule, the center red line will divide the ice into halves. Should any player of a team, equal or superior in numerical strength (power-play) to the opposing team, shoot, bat or deflect the puck from his own half of the ice beyond the goal line of the opposing team, play shall be stopped. For the purpose of deflected pucks, this only applies when the puck was originally propelled down the ice by the offending team.

 

For the purpose of this rule, the point of last contact with the puck by the team in possession shall be used to determine whether icing has occurred or not. As such, the team in possession must “gain the line” in order for the icing to be nullified. “Gaining the line” shall mean that the puck, while on the player’s stick (not the player’s skate) must make contact with the center red line in order to nullify a potential icing.

 

For the purpose of interpretation of the rule, there are two judgments required for "icing the puck". The Linesman must first determine that the puck will cross the goal line. Once the Linesman determines that the puck will cross the goal line, icing is completed upon the determination as to which player (attacking or defending) would first touch the puck. This decision by the Linesman will be made the instant the first player reaches the end zone face-off dots with the player's skate being the determining factor. Should the puck be shot down the ice in such a manner that it travels around the boards and/or back towards the end zone face-off dots, the same procedure shall be in effect in that the Linesman shall determine within a similar distance as to who will have touched the puck first."

 

For clarification, the determining factor is which player would first touch the puck, not which player would first reach the end zone face-off dots.

 

If the race for the puck is too close to determine by the time the first Player reaches the end zone face-off dots, icing shall be called.

 

The puck striking or deflecting off an official does not automatically nullify a potential icing.

 

post #53 of 55
post #54 of 55

Good decision to adopt Hybrid icing, seems the NHL is getting it these days.  They have to protect their players and can't continue to risk injury to key players for things like icing.

 

Meanwhile the NFL continues to lose the battle to reduce concussions in the league.  Best way to reduce head hunting is to suspend the hitting player for every game the injured player misses.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sports
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › Sports › Hybrid Icing in the NHL