or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Old blades for a "New" Golfer
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Old blades for a "New" Golfer - Page 3

post #37 of 55
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakester23 View Post

How much different did you think your ball striking was compared to your cb set?

I could tell when i did not hit the ball right on, but it wasn't the end of the world. I just didnt get the distance, like 1/2 a club to a full club less. But as far as it shooting off all crazy, that didnt happen.
post #38 of 55
Yeah, my experience is similar in terms of mishits, because I consistently don't hit the sweet spot.

I tried my cavity backs, and got about a club longer.

If I cast a little bit, the result is a high ball, but the distance is more consistent with a good shot. This is not the case with my blades. Might be the offset, I don't really know.

I expect that within a couple months I can drop my handicap and shoot more consistent rounds.

I still will hit at home with my MP32 v cut muscle blades, and my son is starting to take an interest in using my old cleveland cg tour with r300 shafts as he progresses. We have 7 lefty iron sets to choose from.
post #39 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post

The feel part is very pronounced. Full swing heel/toe hits actually hurt the fingers with a blade. As I do not "work" balls yet, can't say how much different. I've read and heard that any club can be worked.

Well said. Oh yeah you can feel a bad shot!! No Feel feels like a good shot to me. CBs did not seem to have much feel at all. I have to look for the ball after hitting it. With blades I knew the ball was already heading for BF Egypt before I found it in flight! lol
post #40 of 55
So when you took out the old blades did you hit one more club or hit the same clubs? I always wondered if the different degrees of loft mattered a lot or just a little. I'm going to be taking mine out soon maybe this week weather permitting.
post #41 of 55
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakester23 View Post

So when you took out the old blades did you hit one more club or hit the same clubs? I always wondered if the different degrees of loft mattered a lot or just a little. I'm going to be taking mine out soon maybe this week weather permitting.

I tried to stay away form making adjustments on the fly. the course was strange to me so my club selection could have been just as off with my old clubs if I would have played them. Saying that I dont swing the blades as hard because I know that I can't get away with it. Yesterday was really strange I was hitting in to my wedges from the Tee on the good shots (hit a 3wood that must have rolled out 60 yards). The bad tee shots usually resulted in me using a hybrid for my second. Saying that, if I had to play it again today, I would club up and take it easy. More like hitting a full swing chip shot if that makes any sense at all. Just trying to get the club on the ball under as much control as possible for me. The 18th hole is the only place were I made a change. Up hill in tho the wind, 128 to the center and hit a 7i to the front of the green. With my other clubs I would have smashed the dog snot out of a 9i. let me know how it goes.


cheers
post #42 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakester23 View Post

So when you took out the old blades did you hit one more club or hit the same clubs? I always wondered if the different degrees of loft mattered a lot or just a little. I'm going to be taking mine out soon maybe this week weather permitting.

The different lofts and shaft lengths do matter. That is one of the main reasons the newer clubs claim to be "longer". The new 6 iron is really a 5 iron and some 5 irons are almost 3 irons compared to the standards of the late 70's early 80's.

Some folks that play blades regularly do bend the clubs to achieve the characteristics they desire. I have had mine bent, not to hit a 200 yard 5 iron, but to make the gaps playable. In another experiment, I have an old Hogan Director 9 iron that is bent to 34* with a 37" shaft. A good smooth swing gives me about 149 yards, which is about what I hit a smooth 7 iron.
post #43 of 55
FWIW given the same swing, +/- 3-4* combined with +/- 1/2" shaft length is about 10 yards for most people. This assumes same ball, same swing, same person, hit on the sweet spot. I believe the material, method of construction, and type of club (blade vs cavity) would be statiscally irrelevant ASSUMING A CORRECT STRIKE. A significant difference in the weight of the club might make a difference. Your mileage may vary.
post #44 of 55
I was figuring on starting with an extra club and go from there.
post #45 of 55

I think an old set of blades is a great way to learn. When you hit a bad shot, you know why immediately. With modern cavity back irons, mis-hits are masked and it's a lot harder to tell what you did wrong. I was using blades when I was a little kid all the way through Junior Golf. 

 

I say hang onto this old set for a while. Practice and play with them until you get fairly good and comfortable hitting them. Then in time, get yourself a new set of modern irons and watch how well you hit them...

post #46 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXG8GT View Post

I think an old set of blades is a great way to learn. When you hit a bad shot, you know why immediately. With modern cavity back irons, mis-hits are masked and it's a lot harder to tell what you did wrong. I was using blades when I was a little kid all the way through Junior Golf. 

I say hang onto this old set for a while. Practice and play with them until you get fairly good and comfortable hitting them. Then in time, get yourself a new set of modern irons and watch how well you hit them...

My sentiments as well. I feel the same way about hybrids. Ive been scorned for this opinion but I really don't care. I don't pay attention to commercial breaks between holes of Majors!! Lol
post #47 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXG8GT View Post
 

I think an old set of blades is a great way to learn. When you hit a bad shot, you know why immediately. With modern cavity back irons, mis-hits are masked and it's a lot harder to tell what you did wrong. I was using blades when I was a little kid all the way through Junior Golf. 

 

I say hang onto this old set for a while. Practice and play with them until you get fairly good and comfortable hitting them. Then in time, get yourself a new set of modern irons and watch how well you hit them...

Tell me, how do blades tell you what you are doing wrong?  At best, they only tell you when you miss the sweetspot but dont tell you WHY you miss the sweetspot.  Ive heard this claim made by various blade snobs and it makes no sense.  If you want to improve your swing, take a lesson and record your swing.  Thats going to teach you more about what you are doing wrong than a set of blades ever will.

post #48 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer View Post

Tell me, how do blades tell you what you are doing wrong?  At best, they only tell you when you miss the sweetspot but dont tell you WHY you miss the sweetspot.  Ive heard this claim made by various blade snobs and it makes no sense.  If you want to improve your swing, take a lesson and record your swing.  Thats going to teach you more about what you are doing wrong than a set of blades ever will.
Really? Cause I can definitely tell where and why I mis hit the ball on a bad shot with a blade right away. You can take all the lessons you want, but it's up to you to retain what you learned and practice and play to get better. And that includes learning to identify and correct your own mistakes.
post #49 of 55

A bad shot is a bad shot regardless of what type of club. The difference is in the consequences.

post #50 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2512 View Post

A bad shot is a bad shot regardless of what type of club. The difference is in the consequences.

Well said, and to me the best description of the difference between a blade and any kind of club that is not a blade.

This thread as started by the OP, though, to me is not another "Blade vs Cavity" thread. It is simply about some golfers trying out some old blades and comparing their results to each other and with their other more modern designed clubs.
post #51 of 55
Can you do more with the ball using blades? If so what? If not what cb's are close or the same?
post #52 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXG8GT View Post

Really? Cause I can definitely tell where and why I mis hit the ball on a bad shot with a blade right away. You can take all the lessons you want, but it's up to you to retain what you learned and practice and play to get better. And that includes learning to identify and correct your own mistakes.

I'm not that good, but can tell.

I can tell heel or toe by which hand has the most vibration, used to be pain but I built up callouses. I'm lefty so toe hurts my left hand fingers and heel hurts the right hand fingers.

The club also torques much more with blades, which also translates to feel (pain).
post #53 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2512 View Post

I'm with David in FL  it will make playing unnecessarily difficult. There is no feedback to be gained because you are so inconsistent you aren't doing anything the same twice without luck and even then you won't be able to determine what that is. You may even develop bad habits just trying to get distance out of them. Not to mention the horrendous and frequent clank will draw attention to you. Not the kind of feedback you want. All I need to do is drag out my old MacGregors to be reminded how hard golf is. I'll take all the help I can get.

I love my 73 Hogan's but I must admit you make a lot of sense. I confess that my WS went where I wanted them to more often.
post #54 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always an 80 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2512 View Post

I'm with David in FL  it will make playing unnecessarily difficult. There is no feedback to be gained because you are so inconsistent you aren't doing anything the same twice without luck and even then you won't be able to determine what that is. You may even develop bad habits just trying to get distance out of them. Not to mention the horrendous and frequent clank will draw attention to you. Not the kind of feedback you want. All I need to do is drag out my old MacGregors to be reminded how hard golf is. I'll take all the help I can get.

I love my 73 Hogan's but I must admit you make a lot of sense. I confess that my WS went where I wanted them to more often.

 

I do this all the time in my life, the better I get, the more I up the ante. Playing the mizunos are not so bad though. I have a good swing and as long as sick with the correct fundamentals I play well. I still shoot as low as I did before playing the but the misses hurt badly. I guess I like to make things a challenge or "difficult".

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Old blades for a "New" Golfer