or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Driver - Top Middle of the Face
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Driver - Top Middle of the Face

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

Since I bought my Nike vR_s driver, my driving's improved leaps and bounds. My normal shot will go pretty straight, but goes too high (due to hitting off the top of the face) and I know this is losing me some distance.

 

When I look at my clubface, the ball (nearly 90% of the time), comes off the top middle of the face. It's not that much of an issue as the ball carries well and goes straight, but I know there's obviously a swing flaw here which I'm keen to address to get the extra yardage.

 

Does anyone know what the likely cause of this might be? Also, is there an easy way to work out if I'm hitting down on the ball or on the upswing?

post #2 of 9

i have the same issue. I found I dont hit down on it but pretty level. If you are you will see it spin up very high an go nowhere. I also like to come very close to the ground as reference. I decided instead of changing the swing I would just tee i up lower. Now I tee up low into wind and Normal and swing up with the wind.

It may help to feel like you are lifting up on it.

post #3 of 9

A driver face has a roll to it, meaning its curved. This causes what is called a "Gear" effect Basically if you hit the ball above the center of mass of the club, it will launch higher (due to the roll giving a higher effective loft), and it will spin less. If you hit it bellow the center of the clubface you will hit it lower with higher spin

 

Actually hitting it slightly higher on the clubface isn't to bad. If you broke the center of clubface down into 1/4" quadrants, with the intersection being dead center, you want to be in from dead center to the upper left quadrant. This promotes a draw and causes higher launch and lower spin. 

 

Now if your hitting it way to high and just skying the ball, i would say tee it lower. 

 

Is the ball starting off low than skying upward like a roller coaster, or is the ball just starting high right off the bat and going higher. 

post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

A driver face has a roll to it, meaning its curved. This causes what is called a "Gear" effect Basically if you hit the ball above the center of mass of the club, it will launch higher (due to the roll giving a higher effective loft), and it will spin less. If you hit it bellow the center of the clubface you will hit it lower with higher spin

 

Actually hitting it slightly higher on the clubface isn't to bad. If you broke the center of clubface down into 1/4" quadrants, with the intersection being dead center, you want to be in from dead center to the upper left quadrant. This promotes a draw and causes higher launch and lower spin. 

 

 

It's actually something the pros try to do, like saevel says, launches higher and lowers the spin due to gear effect.  I suspect you might be hitting it too high in the face (basically not hitting it as solid as you can) with the angle of attack too steep.  Easy fix, play the ball a ball or two in front of your left shoulder, push the hips forward with the head staying centered (reverse K set-up).  

 

http://thesandtrap.com/t/44307/hitting-up-or-down-with-the-driver-in-an-inline-pattern

http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread/90#post_847925

post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

It's actually something the pros try to do, like saevel says, launches higher and lowers the spin due to gear effect.  I suspect you might be hitting it too high in the face (basically not hitting it as solid as you can) with the angle of attack too steep.  Easy fix, play the ball a ball or two in front of your left shoulder, push the hips forward with the head staying centered (reverse K set-up).  

http://thesandtrap.com/t/44307/hitting-up-or-down-with-the-driver-in-an-inline-pattern
http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread/90#post_847925
It's possible to swing up and hit a draw right
post #6 of 9
That is what aj bonar would say.. Upper right middle.. Love his name anyway
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

 

It's actually something the pros try to do, like saevel says, launches higher and lowers the spin due to gear effect.  I suspect you might be hitting it too high in the face (basically not hitting it as solid as you can) with the angle of attack too steep.  Easy fix, play the ball a ball or two in front of your left shoulder, push the hips forward with the head staying centered (reverse K set-up).  

 

http://thesandtrap.com/t/44307/hitting-up-or-down-with-the-driver-in-an-inline-pattern

http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread/90#post_847925

 

Awesome, I'll take a look at this and give this a go at the range tonight

post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1998bunker View Post


It's possible to swing up and hit a draw right

 

Did you even click on the link ;)

 

The 2nd one will take you to a video on how to do just that.

post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1998bunker View Post

It's possible to swing up and hit a draw right

Like saevel said, check out the second link. Because you're hitting the ball just after low point you need to align the body right to draw it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Driver - Top Middle of the Face