or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › You make the call!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

You make the call! - Page 3

Poll Results: Played 18 holes, and during the first nine I was playing horribly and decided I needed to take some practice shots after 6th hole to sort out some swing flaws. After the 9th, I decide no more practice and keep legit score. You make the call!

 
  • 15% (4)
    Post the back 9 to GHIN as planned.
  • 42% (11)
    Scrap the whole 18. Practicing anytime through a round negates it.
  • 7% (2)
    Unclear about this ruling
  • 7% (2)
    Take 2 stroke (or max allowable strokes) penalty for every hole you practiced on and post 18
  • 26% (7)
    You're going to hell
26 Total Votes  
post #37 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post
 

 

What if you "stopped playing" for a few minutes after the ninth hole?  Then you started a "new" 9 hole round?

 

 

I do that all the time.  How else do you get a beer and a hotdog?!

post #38 of 55

I'd post the second nine and write the front off as practice without the intent to post a score. See you in hell.

post #39 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyredcab View Post
 

I'd post the second nine and write the front off as practice without the intent to post a score. See you in hell.

 

 

No fair.  You're a marketing guy.....you're already going to Hell.  No incremental risk to you at all!  :-D

post #40 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
 

 

 

No fair.  You're a marketing guy.....you're already going to Hell.  No incremental risk to you at all!  :-D

 

LMAO!

 

You sir, just got yourself a Fonzie!

post #41 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
 

 

 

No fair.  You're a marketing guy.....you're already going to Hell.  No incremental risk to you at all!  :-D

 

Just one of the many advantages to living with the curse of a marketer's core.

post #42 of 55

Gotta ask this - where you playing for real or were you and some buddies hanging out and having a good time.

 

Personally - i handle both situations very differently - if its me and my guys then it wont be a problem unless we have a few dollars on the round at most they harass me for "cheating"... LOL but the very next hole one of them will roll the ball around in the fairway or take extra "relief" from an obstacle.

 

In short if its the guys and your having fun with the idea of we are just playing having a good time and trying to get better then its fine

 

BUT

 

If its a real round of golf or you are playing with a serious group then i would either not take the practice or let them know my round doesnt count for much and see if they mind you practicing while they play

 

But most of my golf is the former

 

Regardless if your on the course then you are already winning

Helping Big & Tall Golfers Look and Feel Confident. Shop Now at Golfsmith.com!
Reply
Helping Big & Tall Golfers Look and Feel Confident. Shop Now at Golfsmith.com!
Reply
post #43 of 55
Thread Starter 
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AveoBigandTall View Post
 

Gotta ask this - where you playing for real or were you and some buddies hanging out and having a good time.

 

Personally - i handle both situations very differently - if its me and my guys then it wont be a problem unless we have a few dollars on the round at most they harass me for "cheating"... LOL but the very next hole one of them will roll the ball around in the fairway or take extra "relief" from an obstacle.

 

In short if its the guys and your having fun with the idea of we are just playing having a good time and trying to get better then its fine

 

BUT

 

If its a real round of golf or you are playing with a serious group then i would either not take the practice or let them know my round doesnt count for much and see if they mind you practicing while they play

 

But most of my golf is the former

 

Regardless if your on the course then you are already winning

 

I was playing with an acquaintance. I went to the course knowing I was going to have to sort some things out a thought I would play a practice round instead of the range. Since some one was with me I limited the practice shots because I prefer company rather than play alone. I thought had things somewhat under control and decided I would be serious the second half. I ditched my walking cart and jumped on with the guy I was playing with. I was curious on the opinion of the round and that the forum needed another thread with conflicting opinions.

 

 
post #44 of 55

If you didn't play by the rules, I supposed you'd need to record the max score allowed by ESC on holes 6-9.     And once you do that, I'll accuse you of being a sandbagger.....LOL

 

It's a lose lose situation.............you darn sandbaggers!

post #45 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut View Post
 

If you didn't play by the rules, I supposed you'd need to record the max score allowed by ESC on holes 6-9.     And once you do that, I'll accuse you of being a sandbagger.....LOL

 

It's a lose lose situation.............you darn sandbaggers!

 

For the benefit of the reading challenged, I'll post it again:

 

Quote:
 

4-2. Holes Not Played or Not Played Under The Principles of The Rules of Golf

If a player does not play a hole or plays it other than under the principles of the Rules of Golf (except for preferred lies), the score recorded for that hole for handicap purposes must be par plus any handicap strokes the player is entitled to receive on that hole. This hole score, when recorded, should be preceded by an "X."

Example: A player with a Course Handicap of 10 receives a handicap stroke on the first 10 allocated handicap-stroke holes. If the player does not play the sixth allocated handicap-stroke hole, which is a par 4, because of construction on the green, the player must record a score of par plus one for handicap purposes, or X-5. (See Decision 4-2/1 and Section 5-2b.)

 
post #46 of 55

.........because of construction on the green?  LOL

 

The sandbagger said he played multiple balls out of frustration for hacking...............he didn't say the green was under construction.

post #47 of 55
Thread Starter 

Par +2 would have been a better....I should quit before I have to take a 7 from now on...

post #48 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut View Post
 

.........because of construction on the green?  LOL

 

The sandbagger said he played multiple balls out of frustration for hacking...............he didn't say the green was under construction.

 

That example is just an example to demonstrate what par plus handicap means, it's not the only possibility. Put on your thinking cap and extrapolate a little.  

 

The manual simply says that for handicap purposes, a hole not played by the rules is treated the same as a hole not played.  The reason for that is to try and minimize the opportunity for a player to manipulate his handicap by posting a higher score than he earned.

post #49 of 55

What if a player (myself) does not have a legitimate handicap?  What if something like this occurs the first time I decide I am going to start posting for a handicap?

post #50 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post
 

What if a player (myself) does not have a legitimate handicap?  What if something like this occurs the first time I decide I am going to start posting for a handicap?

 

If you are actually serious about establishing a handicap, you will play your rounds legitimately.  I'm thinking that if you do try something like this, you would mark your score with even par for any holes not played under the rules.  You can't post par plus handicap when you don't have a handicap.

post #51 of 55
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post
 

What if a player (myself) does not have a legitimate handicap?  What if something like this occurs the first time I decide I am going to start posting for a handicap?

As long as you have played by the rules, and kept legitimate scores, you can post by date.

post #52 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post
 

 

If you are actually serious about establishing a handicap, you will play your rounds legitimately.  I'm thinking that if you do try something like this, you would mark your score with even par for any holes not played under the rules.  You can't post par plus handicap when you don't have a handicap.

 

This is what my question was.

 

Does anybody else have input on this?

post #53 of 55
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post
 

 

If you are actually serious about establishing a handicap, you will play your rounds legitimately.  I'm thinking that if you do try something like this, you would mark your score with even par for any holes not played under the rules.  You can't post par plus handicap when you don't have a handicap.

 

This is what my question was.

 

Does anybody else have input on this?

I believe you have to input the scores as is or apply penalty strokes if you can otherwise disregard them.

post #54 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post
 

 

If you are actually serious about establishing a handicap, you will play your rounds legitimately.  I'm thinking that if you do try something like this, you would mark your score with even par for any holes not played under the rules.  You can't post par plus handicap when you don't have a handicap.

 

This is what my question was.

 

Does anybody else have input on this?

 

My suggestion, don't do it that way.  I have never, ever known anyone who was trying to establish a handicap who didn't play and return his scores legitimately.  In fact it's usually just the opposite - they go out of their way to be sure that the score is proper.  Anything else shows me lack of any real commitment to playing the game as intended.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › You make the call!