or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Pants/Slacks or Shorts??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pants/Slacks or Shorts?? - Page 9

post #145 of 259

When I turned 65 I started wearing slacks all the time and still do.  I play early morning in the summer and it is generally cool until somewhere on the back nine. It just does not seem right for someone in the late 60's or older to be wearing shorts. Growing up older people did not wear shorts so that is probably where I get this feeling.

post #146 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanksalot View Post
 

When I turned 65 I started wearing slacks all the time and still do.  I play early morning in the summer and it is generally cool until somewhere on the back nine. It just does not seem right for someone in the late 60's or older to be wearing shorts. Growing up older people did not wear shorts so that is probably where I get this feeling.

It's funny you say that because my dad (70) hasn't worn shorts since he's 40, but my grandfather (his father) wore shorts all the time well into his 70's.  Problem is my grandfather would wear those ugly plaid shorts (non-golf) with black socks pulled up to his knees and regular shoes.

 

Key is to wear what you're comfortable with as long as it conforms to the courses dress code.

post #147 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanksalot View Post
 

When I turned 65 I started wearing slacks all the time and still do.  I play early morning in the summer and it is generally cool until somewhere on the back nine. It just does not seem right for someone in the late 60's or older to be wearing shorts. Growing up older people did not wear shorts so that is probably where I get this feeling.

I guess because I grew up at Key West where everybody wore shorts, or because I spent most of my life on ball fields where even older coaches wore shorts, it seems natural to me.

 

Still think of myself as being about 30 years old anyway (even though that was 27 years ago).

post #148 of 259

I grew up at a club where shorts weren't allowed.  Wasn't a big deal since it was in San Francisco and you rarely get warm enough weather but now I really do enjoy wearing shorts 300 days a year B-)

post #149 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

I grew up at a club where shorts weren't allowed.  Wasn't a big deal since it was in San Francisco and you rarely get warm enough weather but now I really do enjoy wearing shorts 300 days a year B-)

 

I wear them 365 days, or darn near.  Except when I'm wearing swim trunks. ;-)

 

 When we go out for the evening, it's shorts and usually one of my dozen or so aloha shirts.  

post #150 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post
 

I guess because I grew up at Key West where everybody wore shorts, or because I spent most of my life on ball fields where even older coaches wore shorts, it seems natural to me.

 

Still think of myself as being about 30 years old anyway (even though that was 27 years ago).

 Growing up the coaches all wore pants, the golf courses were mostly private and no one probably wore anything but slacks. I still think of myself as much younger than my 71 years of age. I think most older people don't really feel the age they actually are at the time. The body ages but the mind stays young. I sometimes look in the mirror and wonder who that old fart is looking back at me. My wife and I have been together 31 years next month. I was looking through some old photos the other day and say a picture of her some 30 years ago. I did not realize she had changed so much in that time. Seeing her every day the changes are not as noticeable and she is still the same young women in her mind and actions as she was then. 

post #151 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer View Post
 

I agree that if a course allows jeans, you arent being disrespectful to your fellow players, the course or the game of golf.  You just look like youre low-class.  If you dont care, thats cool but dont get upset when people treat you like youre trash.

 

 

 

+1. 

post #152 of 259

post #153 of 259
After seeing that I am going to revise my original opinion,slacks and only slacks should be worn at all times by all men... :)
post #154 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundandFury View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer View Post
 

I agree that if a course allows jeans, you arent being disrespectful to your fellow players, the course or the game of golf.  You just look like youre low-class.  If you dont care, thats cool but dont get upset when people treat you like youre trash.

 

 

 

+1. 

That's a super classy avatar you have there.  Did you pick that because of your respect for the game?

post #155 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post
 

Nice look there @Ernest Jones! Are you going to write a review for those shorts?

post #156 of 259

LMAO - Almost lost my breakfest thanks!

post #157 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post

Nice look there @Ernest Jones
! Are you going to write a review for those shorts?

I like them. I don't how you guys can wear pants, it's sooo pretentious. As far as a a review, they're very comfortable especially on a real hot day. Kind of tight though, not a lot of room for your balls...or your tees b2_tongue.gif
post #158 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

I grew up at a club where shorts weren't allowed.  Wasn't a big deal since it was in San Francisco and you rarely get warm enough weather but now I really do enjoy wearing shorts 300 days a year f1_cool.gif

And the other 65 days are, what, days you don't leave the house so you don't even bother putting on shorts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer View Post

I agree that if a course allows jeans, you arent being disrespectful to your fellow players, the course or the game of golf.  You just look like youre low-class.  If you dont care, thats cool but dont get upset when people treat you like youre trash.


It's unfortunate that you think it's okay for people to treat other people like trash because of the pants they're wearing. Kindly saying, "sorry, we have a no jeans dress code" is one thing.
post #159 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer View Post
 

I agree that if a course allows jeans, you arent being disrespectful to your fellow players, the course or the game of golf.  You just look like youre low-class.  If you dont care, thats cool but dont get upset when people treat you like youre trash.

 

 

 

Agree 100%

You show up at a function, looking like Gomer Pile, (i.e., wedding, funeral, business function, etc.), don't expect much respect.

And don't  try to defend why you need to look like trash to others at a specific venue. You are what you are. You brought how your treated on yourself.

post #160 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyc View Post
 

Agree 100%

You show up at a function, looking like Gomer Pile, (i.e., wedding, funeral, business function, etc.), don't expect much respect.

And don't  try to defend why you need to look like trash to others at a specific venue. You are what you are. You brought how your treated on yourself.

 

And again I will gladly state that I am glad these type of people are so transparent.  If you respect/disrespect me based on my clothing then your opinion is of no value to me.  And I won't have to worry about how you treat me as I will not be around you.

 

And for the record, this is coming from someone who wears slacks on the course.  But I play with plenty of people who don't and have a great time doing so.

post #161 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloverUT View Post

And again I will gladly state that I am glad these type of people are so transparent.  If you respect/disrespect me based on my clothing then your opinion is of no value to me.  And I won't have to worry about how you treat me as I will not be around you.

And for the record, this is coming from someone who wears slacks on the course.  But I play with plenty of people who don't and have a great time doing so.
Agreed. I hardly ever play golf courses that allow jeans or t shirts, and It would never enter my mind to wear jeans while playing golf under any circumstance. But if the course has no dress code I don't see why anybody would have a problem with jeans.
post #162 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloverUT View Post
 

And again I will gladly state that I am glad these type of people are so transparent.  If you respect/disrespect me based on my clothing then your opinion is of no value to me.  And I won't have to worry about how you treat me as I will not be around you.

I'm right there with you.  I find it amazing how many people have such strong opinions of strangers that are based on dress.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloverUT View Post
 

And for the record, this is coming from someone who wears slacks on the course.  But I play with plenty of people who don't and have a great time doing so.

Yeah, same here.  I like dressing nice to play golf, which includes slacks when it's not too hot, but I just can't fathom forming a negative opinion on somebody because they do not.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Pants/Slacks or Shorts??