or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Pants/Slacks or Shorts??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pants/Slacks or Shorts?? - Page 14

post #235 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltdwhiskey View Post
 

 

You pick.  But lets say one guy walks in wearing jeans and another walks in wearing shorts.  Who is more dressed up?

Depends on where they live.  Here in NY it's not uncommon to go to an expensive restaurant in "neat" jeans with a sports jacket while shorts would be frowned upon.  In Hawaii, shorts are acceptable just about anywhere.

post #236 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

Depends on where they live.  Here in NY it's not uncommon to go to an expensive restaurant in "neat" jeans with a sports jacket while shorts would be frowned upon.  In Hawaii, shorts are acceptable just about anywhere.

 

Along those lines, while we will never allow jeans on the golf course, we have on occasion allowed "dress" jeans to some of our more casual events in the clubhouse. Sadly, few people know what that means, outside of some of the more stylish women. Most guys see "jeans" and some real ratty attire shows its ugly face. I hate it. I know I don't have anything that can be described as "dress" jeans. My casual fit Levi's ain't that.

post #237 of 259

Here is one for you...

 

Fossil Trace Dress Code (see www.fossiltrace.com)

Collared shirts and appropriate length shorts or slacks are required for all golf course guests and players using the practice range. Fossil Trace Golf Club is a soft spikes only facility. Items such as tank tops, t-shirts and spaghetti strap tops are not appropriate. Denim is allowed presuming that it is neither cutoff, torn or tattered.

 

:-)

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave2512 View Post
 

I've never seen a course policy that specifically said shorts are okay. Typically the wording is golf attire. Shorts can be just about anything. Show up wearing Dockers cargos to a private club and you'll likely be asked to change. I realize this absurd thread has taken a turn to what's acceptable in restaurants and other public places but IMO it's pointless. I can definitely think of places where shorts of identical fabric as slacks would be disallowed and welcomed. Doesn't have much to do with golf course dress policies.

 

Here I've seen policy ignored by course staff and customers alike. What works and what doesn't appears to vary course to course. At my former home course I see people out there in hoodies and it doesn't affect the quality of the experience, conditions are good and people are respectful. Other places not so much. The course I learned to golf on in the 70's is a mess. They allows jeans and I hate playing there despite my affection for the place because the disregard of rules didn't stop with the dress policy. Every course problem imaginable is a frequent occurrence there. All this thread proves is what is acceptable varies by course, region and everything else under the sun. It's not a class issue and not determined by green fees. If a course is mismanaged the blame falls on the management.

post #238 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2512 View Post
 

I've never seen a course policy that specifically said shorts are okay. Typically the wording is golf attire. Shorts can be just about anything. Show up wearing Dockers cargos to a private club and you'll likely be asked to change.

Maybe CO is more casual but here is the dress code at my home club;

 

For Men: Shirts with collars and sleeves or turtlenecks and mock turtlenecks are allowed. The shirts should be tucked. The slacks or shorts worn should be tailored. Walking shorts are also acceptable. Hats must be worn with the visor pointing forward.

 

For Women: Dresses, skirts, slacks, golf shorts, mid length shorts. Sleeveless shirts should have collars.


Not Permitted: Tank tops, T- shirts, mesh tops, halter-tops, bathing suits, jams, sweat pants, tennis attire, athletic shorts, cut offs, blue jeans or denim of any kind.

post #239 of 259
I refuse to acknowledge any dress code that disallows halter tops for women. That's a crime against humanity! ;)
post #240 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

Depends on where they live.  Here in NY it's not uncommon to go to an expensive restaurant in "neat" jeans with a sports jacket while shorts would be frowned upon.  In Hawaii, shorts are acceptable just about anywhere.

 

That's pretty much what I wear anytime I go out in cooler months unless it's specifically a business attire function or a very nice country club.  Neat jeans (which means dark-dyed and properly fitted), crisp dress shirt, and a tweed, camel hair, or cashmere blazer.

 

When I lived in Hawaii you could wear board shorts just about anywhere--even to Roy's.  In fact, I started wearing the "amphibious" shorts made by surf companies that are essentially board shorts with a zipper and pockets.  You could wear those with flip flops and a polo to just about any restaurant on Oahu.  The only place you couldn't wear that would be some of the night clubs in Waikiki, but I avoid night clubs like the plague anyway.

 

And the only people wearing ties are lawyers that flew in from the mainland.

post #241 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by phan52 View Post
 

 

Along those lines, while we will never allow jeans on the golf course, we have on occasion allowed "dress" jeans to some of our more casual events in the clubhouse. Sadly, few people know what that means, outside of some of the more stylish women. Most guys see "jeans" and some real ratty attire shows its ugly face. I hate it. I know I don't have anything that can be described as "dress" jeans. My casual fit Levi's ain't that.

The whole, "it's disrespectful to wear jeans to play golf is silly", especially when the courses permit jeans.  IMO, ripped, tattered jeans shouldn't be worn anywhere but to do manual labor or to a heavy metal concert.  As I said in an earlier post, I have jeans that cost more than any pair of shorts or slacks I wear to play golf.  I'd also prefer to see someone playing golf in a pair of "neat" jeans than cargo shorts that are so wrinkled they look like bacon.

 

I wouldn't wear jeans on the golf course because 1) My course doesn't permit it, 2) I feel they are too heavy and the fit of jeans is too restricting for golf.  If a course permits it and someone is comfortable wearing them, they should feel free to do so without judgment from the fashion police or the golf snobs. 

post #242 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

I refuse to acknowledge any dress code that disallows halter tops for women. That's a crime against humanity! ;)

Should be a requirement!

post #243 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

I refuse to acknowledge any dress code that disallows halter tops for women. That's a crime against humanity! ;)

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post
 

Should be a requirement!

 

I guess this is for both of you then.

 

 

post #244 of 259

To address some points in prior posts without bothering with the multi-quote:

 

- Shorts vs. Jeans.  Depends on what else one is wearing.  There's an upscale restaurant I go to every year on vacation and depending on the weather, I'll wear a golf shirt with either shorts or pants, but not jeans - a tucked-in golf shirt with a nice, crisp pair of shorts is dressier than the same shirt with jeans.  However, someone wearing a decent pair of jeans with a dress shirt, especially with a sport coat, would be dressier than the shorts and golf shirt look.

 

- Respect for the game and its "Tradition".  Nonsense.  A sport is a sport.  One should show courtesy to others and comply with general minimal concepts of dress code decorum (i.e. even at a sporting even as casual as a softball game no spandex or super short cut-offs), but there is no rational reason for this slavering, deferential devotion that some people have for golf.  Look decent, comply with course rules, be comfortable.  That is all.  Anything more and you're just playing dress-up.  If you want to look like a dandy or a touring-pro wannabe, that's your prerogative, but don't get condescending with the majority of golfers who view the activity as fun time, not fancy time, who want to wear clothes they like rather than a costume.

 

- Outfits in other sports:  No, one does not see sprinters and divers wearing jeans and hoodies not because it is contrary to tradition, but because it is contrary to what performs best.  Olympic swimmers don't even wear skimpy Speedos any more because other suits are more streamline and can save some small amount of time.  When a fraction of a second can mean the difference between going home following the first-round heat and progressing into a medal round, athletes will wear the clothing that lets them perform the best.  There is little correlation between golf clothing style and form, versus performance-oriented function.

 

=============

 

Semi-off topic rant on dress/fancy/designer jeans:  One of the chief benefits of being a guy is that we can look decent without the time and effort and money that most women devote to appearances.  I towel my hair off in the shower, spend 10 seconds brushing it, and I'm ready to go for the day.  No blow-drying, no applying products, no "teasing" my pretty locks, none of that prissy crap.  I like the fact that I don't have to spend that extra 20 to 90 minutes that most women spend to have a decent, neat appearance.  Similarly, for most of my lifetime, dressing casual in cooler weather meant wearing jeans and always, Levis have been 100% appropriate and respectable.  I like the fact that I can spend $35-40 on a pair of Levis and they simply work in any situation where I can wear jeans.  Levis fit most guys well and look good.  However, I've noticed over the past year or two that a lot of the younger guys in my neighborhood, many of whom have trophy wives (who may be dressing them), are wearing designer jeans, ones with big pockets, fancy stitching, beads, buttons, even freakin' sequins on their pockets.  These guys are spending $80, maybe even over $200 on jeans and it looks ridiculous to me.  I'm dreading the day when some snooty assclown whose wife dresses him sneers at me and sniggers "Nice Levis" to his friends and I'll look around and see not just guys in the 20's or 30's but guys in their 40s or 50s all nodding in agreement, as they squirm in their French designer jeans featuring floral print stitching on the back pockets.  I know that in NYC and LA and Miami, people say and at least pretend to believe that men's design jeans "look better."  No, they don't.  Some of these guys really look like what they are wearing are an exact cross between their wife's "skinny jeans" and their mother's "mom jeans."  Sorry, but real men don't need to wear designer jeans.  End rant.

post #245 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisguy View Post
 

Semi-off topic rant on dress/fancy/designer jeans:  One of the chief benefits of being a guy is that we can look decent without the time and effort and money that most women devote to appearances.  I towel my hair off in the shower, spend 10 seconds brushing it, and I'm ready to go for the day.  No blow-drying, no applying products, no "teasing" my pretty locks, none of that prissy crap.  I like the fact that I don't have to spend that extra 20 to 90 minutes that most women spend to have a decent, neat appearance.  Similarly, for most of my lifetime, dressing casual in cooler weather meant wearing jeans and always, Levis have been 100% appropriate and respectable.  I like the fact that I can spend $35-40 on a pair of Levis and they simply work in any situation where I can wear jeans.  Levis fit most guys well and look good.  However, I've noticed over the past year or two that a lot of the younger guys in my neighborhood, many of whom have trophy wives (who may be dressing them), are wearing designer jeans, ones with big pockets, fancy stitching, beads, buttons, even freakin' sequins on their pockets.  These guys are spending $80, maybe even over $200 on jeans and it looks ridiculous to me.  I'm dreading the day when some snooty assclown whose wife dresses him sneers at me and sniggers "Nice Levis" to his friends and I'll look around and see not just guys in the 20's or 30's but guys in their 40s or 50s all nodding in agreement, as they squirm in their French designer jeans featuring floral print stitching on the back pockets.  I know that in NYC and LA and Miami, people say and at least pretend to believe that men's design jeans "look better."  No, they don't.  Some of these guys really look like what they are wearing are an exact cross between their wife's "skinny jeans" and their mother's "mom jeans."  Sorry, but real men don't need to wear designer jeans.  End rant.

Got it Wisguy you're a mans man.  Sounds  like a bit of sour grapes, as is usual with you.  There are plenty of nice jeans not made by Levi's or Lee that don't look anything close to "skinny jeans" or "moms jeans".

 

Interesting you claim to dread the day people sneer at you for wearing Levi's, when you seem to be the  one to casting judgment on others based on what they wear.  Buy a mirror.

post #246 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisguy View Post
- Outfits in other sports:  No, one does not see sprinters and divers wearing jeans and hoodies not because it is contrary to tradition, but because it is contrary to what performs best.  Olympic swimmers don't even wear skimpy Speedos any more because other suits are more streamline and can save some small amount of time.  When a fraction of a second can mean the difference between going home following the first-round heat and progressing into a medal round, athletes will wear the clothing that lets them perform the best.  There is little correlation between golf clothing style and form, versus performance-oriented function.

 

Winter Olympics -

 

I refuse to respect professional "speed" category snowboarders until they stop wearing baggy, DRAG inducing, outfits.  Until they take the sport seriously enough to realize that 1st vs 2nd may very well be a fraction of a second and then dress to cash that in (i.e., look just as silly as the speed skaters and cyclists and skiers), then they are just a bunch of entitles posers that got lucky enough to have their silly activity put into the olympics.

 

and, they need to stop sitting down in the middle of runs where they can't be seen...

and, they need to learn to carve the boards, like REAL snowboarders, and stop just being 'scrapers' that push all the good snow to the bottom of the runs - silly pretender/posers

 

 

Oh, golf forum,,.... - as for dressing for the activity.......Why on earth would one ever want to TUCK IN a golf shirt?  especially the really fat guys.  And, face it, it looks silly for the old crowd with the pants pulled up so high - nearly as goofy as the kids with the pants too low......

post #247 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post



I guess this is for both of you then.



Technically, those are tank tops. ;) However, no, I would also not want to see those women in halter tops either so ... Point taken!
post #248 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisguy View Post


Semi-off topic rant on dress/fancy/designer jeans:  One of the chief benefits of being a guy is that we can look decent without the time and effort and money that most women devote to appearances.  I towel my hair off in the shower, spend 10 seconds brushing it, and I'm ready to go for the day.  No blow-drying, no applying products, no "teasing" my pretty locks, none of that prissy crap.  I like the fact that I don't have to spend that extra 20 to 90 minutes that most women spend to have a decent, neat appearance.  Similarly, for most of my lifetime, dressing casual in cooler weather meant wearing jeans and always, Levis have been 100% appropriate and respectable.  I like the fact that I can spend $35-40 on a pair of Levis and they simply work in any situation where I can wear jeans.  Levis fit most guys well and look good.  However, I've noticed over the past year or two that a lot of the younger guys in my neighborhood, many of whom have trophy wives (who may be dressing them), are wearing designer jeans, ones with big pockets, fancy stitching, beads, buttons, even freakin' sequins on their pockets.  These guys are spending $80, maybe even over $200 on jeans and it looks ridiculous to me.  I'm dreading the day when some snooty assclown whose wife dresses him sneers at me and sniggers "Nice Levis" to his friends and I'll look around and see not just guys in the 20's or 30's but guys in their 40s or 50s all nodding in agreement, as they squirm in their French designer jeans featuring floral print stitching on the back pockets.  I know that in NYC and LA and Miami, people say and at least pretend to believe that men's design jeans "look better."  No, they don't.  Some of these guys really look like what they are wearing are an exact cross between their wife's "skinny jeans" and their mother's "mom jeans."  Sorry, but real men don't need to wear designer jeans.  End rant.

And you get to define the phrase "real men?" Give me a break.
post #249 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisguy View Post

 

Semi-off topic rant on dress/fancy/designer jeans:  One of the chief benefits of being a guy is that we can look decent without the time and effort and money that most women devote to appearances.  I towel my hair off in the shower, spend 10 seconds brushing it, and I'm ready to go for the day.  No blow-drying, no applying products, no "teasing" my pretty locks, none of that prissy crap.  I like the fact that I don't have to spend that extra 20 to 90 minutes that most women spend to have a decent, neat appearance.  Similarly, for most of my lifetime, dressing casual in cooler weather meant wearing jeans and always, Levis have been 100% appropriate and respectable.  I like the fact that I can spend $35-40 on a pair of Levis and they simply work in any situation where I can wear jeans.  Levis fit most guys well and look good.  However, I've noticed over the past year or two that a lot of the younger guys in my neighborhood, many of whom have trophy wives (who may be dressing them), are wearing designer jeans, ones with big pockets, fancy stitching, beads, buttons, even freakin' sequins on their pockets.  These guys are spending $80, maybe even over $200 on jeans and it looks ridiculous to me.  I'm dreading the day when some snooty assclown whose wife dresses him sneers at me and sniggers "Nice Levis" to his friends and I'll look around and see not just guys in the 20's or 30's but guys in their 40s or 50s all nodding in agreement, as they squirm in their French designer jeans featuring floral print stitching on the back pockets.  I know that in NYC and LA and Miami, people say and at least pretend to believe that men's design jeans "look better."  No, they don't.  Some of these guys really look like what they are wearing are an exact cross between their wife's "skinny jeans" and their mother's "mom jeans."  Sorry, but real men don't need to wear designer jeans.  End rant.

 

I'm not going so far as to say that Levis or the like say "real man", but most of the designer jeans I've seen on men look rather effeminate.  They certainly don't look any more dressy.  Levis and Wrangler offer different styles too, from relaxed fit, to boot cut, to "Where does he put his junk?".   Take an iron to them when they come out of the dryer and they look as good as the $100 boutique jeans.

post #250 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post
Take an iron to them when they come out of the dryer and they look as good as the $100 boutique jeans.

 

if I take an iron to a pair of jeans, it'll be overhand in a chopping motion......

 

 

(wear what you like as long as you respect the various rules of the course we're on and that is the extend of wardrobe judgement you get from me.  I'll judge you by your actions and statements and personal odor and maybe pictures of your girlfriend.  I'm more likely to pre-judge someone that's overly pretentious in garb vs the opposite, frankly - especially when were talking a recreational activity.)

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo
And you get to define the phrase "real men?" Give me a break.

 

I'll take a stab at it - "Real Men":  respects others, doesn't bully, confident in their strength, shows up on time, loyal to one woman at a time, works honestly, speaks the truth, takes care of their family, plays with their kids

 

that's my stab at it - I don't really have 'wears a Rolex', disdains cargo shorts, belongs to a public/private/high or low end club, or makes a lot of money, or gets dirty at work, or stays clean at work.  I always thought it was about character.....silly me.

post #251 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

 

 

 

I guess this is for both of you then.

 

 

Technically no matter what those women were wearing they would be called "tank" tops!:-P

post #252 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by rehmwa View Post
 

 

if I take an iron to a pair of jeans, it'll be overhand in a chopping motion......

 

 

(wear what you like as long as you respect the various rules of the course we're on and that is the extend of wardrobe judgement you get from me.  I'll judge you by your actions and statements and personal odor and maybe pictures of your girlfriend.  I'm more likely to pre-judge someone that's overly pretentious in garb vs the opposite, frankly - especially when were talking a recreational activity.)

 

 

 

I'll take a stab at it - "Real Men":  respects others, doesn't bully, confident in their strength, shows up on time, loyal to one woman at a time, works honestly, speaks the truth, takes care of their family, plays with their kids

 

that's my stab at it - I don't really have 'wears a Rolex', disdains cargo shorts, belongs to a public/private/high or low end club, or makes a lot of money, or gets dirty at work, or stays clean at work.  I always thought it was about character.....silly me.

Off topic.  This belongs in the yet to be made new thread, "Poll: Expensive Designer Cologne or Stinky Pits?"

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Pants/Slacks or Shorts??