or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Pants/Slacks or Shorts??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pants/Slacks or Shorts?? - Page 5

post #73 of 259

My experience is pretty much anything goes as far as clothes regardless of what the posted policy is. My home course was once a private club and for a public course it's somewhat fancy. I see guys in t-shirts and cargo shorts out there all the time. The only course I am certain would enforce the dress code is my parents club and probably only in the dining areas. My step-dad is well off and he wears some ratty stuff.

post #74 of 259

How about a slight off-topic. What about on the range? Let's say you're at a course/club with a nice range - well maintained grass and good short game area. Shorts or slacks? Collared shirt or nice presentable breathable moisture wicking t-shirt?

post #75 of 259
I go to the range wearing whatever I'm wearing when the opportunity to hit range pops up. I've gone in a suit, just take the jacket off, roll up the sleeves, get my Trues out if the trunk and off I go.
post #76 of 259

Out where I live, it gets HOT, so in the summer I wear shorts all the time. During the nicer months I'll wear either... I'm comfortable in pants up to about 90 and in shorts down to about 70 so if the temp in in that range I might wear either. Sunday we'll be playing at Oak Quarry in Riverside and even though the high will be in the 80s I'll likely wear pants as it'll be fairly cold when we tee off.

post #77 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets88 View Post
 

How about a slight off-topic. What about on the range? Let's say you're at a course/club with a nice range - well maintained grass and good short game area. Shorts or slacks? Collared shirt or nice presentable breathable moisture wicking t-shirt? 

Nice range?  

 

I will take a hint from the guys out there. Always a collared polo, but shorts or slacks are dependent on weather. It's my policy to wear slacks when possible because I want to ... but when it hovers around 90, the liteweight slacks are gone and the shorts are on.

post #78 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post
 

Nice range?  

 

I will take a hint from the guys out there. Always a collared polo, but shorts or slacks are dependent on weather. It's my policy to wear slacks when possible because I want to ... but when it hovers around 90, the liteweight slacks are gone and the shorts are on.

Tell the truth Mr. Desmond.  You always go decked out in your Ian Poulter wear!

post #79 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post
 

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to start explaining to me my reasons for doing, or not doing, something. Didn't have to wait long, I should have started an over/under on it. I posted my reasons and none of them had anything to do with what pros are doing, but I'm glad you're around to tell me that I like lemonade more than water. 

 

Hey, while you're at it, I can't decide on salmon or ham for dinner, could you tell which I prefer please? Thanks, you truly are wis.

 

LOL.

 

Come on Ernest don't you remember?  You don't like salmon or ham. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets88 View Post
 

How about a slight off-topic. What about on the range? Let's say you're at a course/club with a nice range - well maintained grass and good short game area. Shorts or slacks? Collared shirt or nice presentable breathable moisture wicking t-shirt?

 

 

At my course the same dress code applies to the whole facility

post #80 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post
 

Tell the truth Mr. Desmond.  You always go decked out in your Ian Poulter wear!

True ...Mr. Squint bought more on ebay during the summer. Tough to resist $120 slacks at $30-35 of excellent quality... now, I'm waiting for the weather to turn. His cotton and wool-blend slacks are for below 75 degrees.


And what I like about his slacks, is that he has a lot of solids that one can wear for business, and then go immediately to the range/course with that IJP Polo and Trues in the bag!

 

Just wait for the pics and reviews... lol

post #81 of 259

I have clothes that I would not wear anyplace other than the course, i.e.plaid pants, in order to justify having purchased those garments: if I have a club in my hand,whether it be at the range,a par 3 goat track, or a club on par with the likes of Bushwood CC, I will wear the appropriate attire.

post #82 of 259

Better wear the pants while we can.

 

According to Nature Magazine, by 2047, the coldest temperatures on Earth will be higher than the current hottest temperatures.

 

I may be playing my last rounds by then, but you guys, please carry on.. don't :surrender:

post #83 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPtheKid View Post
 

 

Same here. I don't have anything against people wearing jeans to play, I just never have seen it. Every course I've played has had a dress code that said no jeans.

 

The only time anybody wore jeans on my course was when Willie Nelson showed up as a guest, and nobody had the nerve to say anything to him about it. We don't have a specific no-weed policy but, if we did, I am sure that rule was broken that day as well.

post #84 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post
 

 

Believe it or not, there are other places in the country than New England, and we aren't all as stuffy.  We recognize that there are people in the world for whom denim is the casual wear of choice, and that it doesn't say anything at all about their personality or financial position.  I played with a US Congressman on my my home course a few years ago and he was wearing blue jeans, just like I was.  So you can look down your nose at me all you want... doesn't mean a thing.

Yeah, everything is relative.  Here is Socal, at the pricier, resort-type places, it's going to be the standard "collared-shirt, no denim, no cutoffs."  At the cheaper muni's, I am pretty sure you can wear whatever you want, although since it's usually warm enough to play in shorts around here, and jean shorts are very NOT cool ;), you're still not going to see a lot of denim.

 

On the other hand, when I go to Fresno at Christmas and it's 35* out in the morning, then jeans over thermal underwear is definitely an acceptable getup.

 

@Fourputt  ... I can't find it on their website anymore, but when I went to Old Works back in June I checked their dress code.  (Mind you, this is probably the nicest course I have ever played, however, it just happens to be located in the middle of a very small, former mining/smelting town in Montana)  It was amusing to me because it basically said that they recommend that you wear shoes.  ANd that was pretty much the extent of it.  They don't care if you wear a collared shirt, or denim pants or shorts, and they don't even really care if you wear shoes ... they would just prefer it if you did.  I thought that was hilarious.  (Of course, everybody there is basically wearing typical golf outfits anyway)

post #85 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post
 

 

Believe it or not, there are other places in the country than New England, and we aren't all as stuffy.  We recognize that there are people in the world for whom denim is the casual wear of choice, and that it doesn't say anything at all about their personality or financial position.  I played with a US Congressman on my my home course a few years ago and he was wearing blue jeans, just like I was.  So you can look down your nose at me all you want... doesn't mean a thing.

Yeah, everything is relative.  Here is Socal, at the pricier, resort-type places, it's going to be the standard "collared-shirt, no denim, no cutoffs."  At the cheaper muni's, I am pretty sure you can wear whatever you want, although since it's usually warm enough to play in shorts around here, and jean shorts are very NOT cool ;), you're still not going to see a lot of denim.

 

On the other hand, when I go to Fresno at Christmas and it's 35* out in the morning, then jeans over thermal underwear is definitely an acceptable getup.

 

@Fourputt  ... I can't find it on their website anymore, but when I went to Old Works back in June I checked their dress code.  (Mind you, this is probably the nicest course I have ever played, however, it just happens to be located in the middle of a very small, former mining/smelting town in Montana)  It was amusing to me because it basically said that they recommend that you wear shoes.  ANd that was pretty much the extent of it.  They don't care if you wear a collared shirt, or denim pants or shorts, and they don't even really care if you wear shoes ... they would just prefer it if you did.  I thought that was hilarious.  (Of course, everybody there is basically wearing typical golf outfits anyway)

 

Old Works is a muni, despite the upscale feel of the place.  EPA Superfund monies were used for both construction and to help defray maintenance costs.  That's one of the reasons why it's such a good deal.

post #86 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post
 

 

Old Works is a muni, despite the upscale feel of the place.  EPA Superfund monies were used for both construction and to help defray maintenance costs.  That's one of the reasons why it's such a good deal.

LOL, I had no idea it was technically a muni ... although I knew about it being a Superfund site, so I probably could have put 2 and 2 together.  I did wonder, though, while I was there, how in the world such a course, with such a small amount of play would have the money to keep itself in that kind of shape.  I hope they can sustain it ... 'twould be a shame if anything happened to that course.  (Related note:  We were making small talk with a maintenance worked and he was saying how people were leaving that town in droves.)

 

I also just assumed it was such a good deal because it was so far out in the middle of nowhere.

 

Anyways, back to the "important" topic of wearing pants or shorts. ;)

post #87 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post
 

Better wear the pants while we can.

 

According to Nature Magazine, by 2047, the coldest temperatures on Earth will be higher than the current hottest temperatures.

I found your article on the web in the NY Times, "By 2047, Coldest Years May Be Warmer Than Hottest in Past, Scientists Say"

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/10/science/earth/by-2047-coldest-years-will-be-warmer-than-hottest-in-past.html?_r=0

 

Then I found an article in the UK's Daily Mail that said, "Some eminent scientists now believe the world is heading for a period of cooling that will not end until the middle of this century – a process that would expose computer forecasts of imminent catastrophic warming as dangerously misleading."

 

Getting back to the topic of this thread, I will be 100 years old in 2050, and, in either case, I will probably be wearing slacks.  In 2050 I will also be getting close to my life's goal:  to be the oldest golfer to record a hole-in-one on a regulation golf course.  The current record is held by Elsie McLean who made a Guinness record-breaking hole-in-one on the fourth hole at the Bidwell Park Golf Course in California. The distance of the hole was 100 yards, and Elsie used a driver.  At age 102, she broke the record for oldest player to ace the shot, previously held by Harold Stinson, who had been 101.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=golfonline&id=2829752

post #88 of 259
Cha...cha... Changes

Either way
post #89 of 259
Pants , it lets others know I am a badass and that they should not **** with me. Also it strokes my ego and makes me feel good about myself.
post #90 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post

Pants , it lets others know I am a badass and that they should not **** with me. Also it strokes my ego and makes me feel good about myself.
Well, slacks and shorts are both technically pants, so you really didn't answer the question. Unless maybe the options were, say, pants or skorts?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Pants/Slacks or Shorts??