or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Let's fix the President's Cup
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Let's fix the President's Cup

post #1 of 32
Thread Starter 

I think everyone can agree that there is really nothing all that compelling about the President's Cup.  There isn't the passion of the Ryder Cup, the US has dominated, and not even the captain's seem interested in making the the match-ups exciting for TV.  So here is what I propose, and for the sake of argument, let's keep it a US vs. the non-Euro world.

 

1) Introduce more strategy into the play.  Every hole should have 2-3 sets of tees and as long as you have the honor, you pick the tee.  

2) Let the players pick their singles match-up playground style.  Pick a name out of a hat and that guy picks his opponent on the spot

post #2 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskzoo View Post

I think everyone can agree that there is really nothing all that compelling about the President's Cup.

Nope. Can't agree to that.
post #3 of 32

The only problem I saw with PC 2013 is the media's reluctance to let it be it's own thing. The players appeared passionate and the people in attendance appeared passionate but the talking heads couldn't resist making what I think are unnecessary comparisons the RC. Despite the lopsided result it was closer than it appeared. It's fine as is and people would enjoy more if they stop trying to make it RC part two.

post #4 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post


Nope. Can't agree to that.

 

I can't either.  If you want it to be more competitive, get better golfers for the International Team.  The format is fine for me.  Every other tournament we get to see great courses in Asia, Africa or Australia.

post #5 of 32
I think the Presidents Cup captains should participate in some fashion. Maybe match play against one another or something along that line. I think it would add to the excitement.
post #6 of 32

I am almost certain they mentioned there were past playing captains.

post #7 of 32

I dont really think there is a way to fix it. Until the Ryder Cup becomes boring and uncompetitive or the International team actually becomes successful, the President's Cup will struggle. I don't believe a format change is going to do anything.

post #8 of 32

I enjoyed the PC, it beats anything that the NFL or MLB has to offer, sure is a better bunch of guys in my opinion. 

post #9 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by atb5079 View Post
 

I dont really think there is a way to fix it. Until the Ryder Cup becomes boring and uncompetitive or the International team actually becomes successful, the President's Cup will struggle. I don't believe a format change is going to do anything.

 

Couple more Ryder's of the USA getting spanked on the greens will do it. 

post #10 of 32

The only thing wrong with the PC is it's not the Ryder Cup and people can't appreciate the difference.  Yes, the Ryder Cup has many years of tradition and Europeans enjoy relish the opportunity to beat the U.S. team but the Presidents Cup was fun to watch and entertaining.  I'd like to see the Olympics add a 2nd golf event that is team match play in addition to the individual stroke play. 

post #11 of 32
Vuvuzelas.
post #12 of 32

Did someone break the President's Cup?  What did they do, drop it?

post #13 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlappyGilmore View Post

Vuvuzelas.

They should be banned from all sports everywhere.

post #14 of 32

Presidents cup improvement....have 4 teams, USA, Europe, China/japan and world ( Canada, Australia, Africa)  10 members per team, 4 of which are women

post #15 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfisher View Post

Presidents cup improvement....have 4 teams, USA, Europe, China/japan and world ( Canada, Australia, Africa)  10 members per team, 4 of which are women

A) Why Europe when they're in the Ryder Cup? I'm not against it (the US is in both, of course) but at some point you're introducing redundancy

B) The Asia and Australia/Africa/Canada(/South America?) teams would get creamed. They already lose the Presidents Cup, and that's with Asia on their team. I don't dislike dividing it up by continents, but you need to divide in a way that would keep it competitive.
post #16 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfisher View Post
 

Presidents cup improvement....have 4 teams, USA, Europe, China/japan and world ( Canada, Australia, Africa)  10 members per team, 4 of which are women

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post


A) Why Europe when they're in the Ryder Cup? I'm not against it (the US is in both, of course) but at some point you're introducing redundancy

B) The Asia and Australia/Africa/Canada(/South America?) teams would get creamed. They already lose the Presidents Cup, and that's with Asia on their team. I don't dislike dividing it up by continents, but you need to divide in a way that would keep it competitive.

Sorry, I haven't looked back at this response to my idea.

 

A. its opposite years and I was serious about having the women on the teams.

 

B True some of those regions will be weak, but give it a decade and I have no doubt as golf as becomes more and more global that the PAC rim teams will be very strong. Keep in mind "A"  as well.

post #17 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskzoo View Post
 

I think everyone can agree that there is really nothing all that compelling about the President's Cup.  There isn't the passion of the Ryder Cup, the US has dominated, and not even the captain's seem interested in making the the match-ups exciting for TV.  So here is what I propose, and for the sake of argument, let's keep it a US vs. the non-Euro world.

 

1) Introduce more strategy into the play.  Every hole should have 2-3 sets of tees and as long as you have the honor, you pick the tee.

2) Let the players pick their singles match-up playground style.  Pick a name out of a hat and that guy picks his opponent on the spot

 

There is nothing wrong with the President's Cup, other than it is not the Ryder Cup. Wannabe tournament, late to the game.

post #18 of 32

The only part of the Presidents Cup I don't like is that it can end in a tie. Other than that, I enjoy the format.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Let's fix the President's Cup