or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › Political Correctness - How Far Should it Go? Should the Washington Redskins change their name?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Political Correctness - How Far Should it Go? Should the Washington Redskins change their name? - Page 14

Poll Results: Should the owners of the Redskins, Blackhawks, Indians be forced to change their teams name?

 
  • 41% (25)
    Yes, it's insensitive to American Indians
  • 41% (25)
    No, it's a non-issue
  • 16% (10)
    Who cares, this is a golf forum
60 Total Votes  
post #235 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoan2 View Post
 

Why don't they just change the name to the "Washington Cherokees" or find a Native American tribe that was/is indigenous to the area around DC and make this go away?

 

Because Dan Snyder is stubborn, and thinks he's right.

post #236 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McGleno View Post


Let's rename the team Washington Niggers.-Then when that fails we'll call them the Washington Chinks.


Morons

 

I don't think enough of Chinese-Americans play or even watch football to be offended by that name. If I did a survey of my area (which has a large population of Chinese-Americans), I would guess that less than 10% even know when to watch the Super Bowl. In fact, I can kind of attest to that.

 

If that's what they pick for the name, I'm pretty sure it will only offend a miniscule portion of the total population of Chinese in the world. :-$

 

It might restrict the popularity of the game in Asia in the future, though.

post #237 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc123 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post
 

 

If they changed the name, I would honestly feel bad for the NA's that currently like it.  That pretty much sums up my side of the debate.

 

 

Well you better have data showing that NA's "like" the current name, then!  :-P

 

Seriously though, its quite a stretch to equate "not offended" with "like."   Also, you have to feel more "bad" for the NA's who are offended by the overtly racist team name, than you would for those who like it, right?

 

My feelings would go along with the majority.  Of course, we do not know the majority.

post #238 of 324

FWIW, even as a huge Cleveland Indians fan, I feel like Chief Wahoo would be more offensive than the name Redskins. But I'm not qualified to make that distinction...I mean, you have a mascot that takes every stereotype of a specific race and amplifies it by 100. Imagine if that were another race...

post #239 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post
 

 

My feelings would go along with the majority.  Of course, we do not know the majority.

 

 

Ok.  I tried.  I really thought this was one of those rare occasions where you could actually change someone's mind because much of the dispute started with whether the term is actually racist and whether people were offended--two things that have been proven.  But some of you are just being so obtuse that its impossible.  :surrender:

post #240 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc123 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post
 

 

My feelings would go along with the majority.  Of course, we do not know the majority.

 

 

Ok.  I tried.  I really thought this was one of those rare occasions where you could actually change someone's mind because much of the dispute started with whether the term is actually racist and whether people were offended--two things that have been proven.  But some of you are just being so obtuse that its impossible.  :surrender:

 

Now I am offended....:-(

 

Kind of ironic.

post #241 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc123 View Post
 

 

 

Ok.  I tried.  I really thought this was one of those rare occasions where you could actually change someone's mind because much of the dispute started with whether the term is actually racist and whether people were offended--two things that have been proven.  But some of you are just being so obtuse that its impossible.  :surrender:

 

post #242 of 324
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc123 View Post
 

I think you're just picking the wrong place to fight the PC Police.  I get the idea behind that, but you keep beating around the bush here because there's no conclusion other than that the word is offensive.  You keep saying that I don't get to decide, but I'm not.  You say its up to the Native Americans, but they have spoken.  So then you demand better data because you know it doesn't exist.

 

The only person in this discussion who as said it is not offensive is @MS256.  The rest of the supporters just say "well, I don't know that NA's are offended and until you prove that they are, I won't agree that Snyder should change the name."  That's hogwash.  Its a rope-a-dope.  You know the word is offensive.  The dictionary says so!  You know NA's are offended, many have said so! 4 guys Dan Synder found in Arizona doesn't disprove that.

 

A wise man once said, "You gotta know when to hold em, know when to fold em, know when to walk away, know when to run..."  ;-)

Show me the poll and we can end this discussion.  All I want to see is poll results where a majority of Native Americans want the team name changed.  Where is it?

post #243 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

Show me the poll and we can end this discussion.  All I want to see is poll results where a majority of Native Americans want the team name changed.  Where is it?

 

Why do you need a poll? And how "Indian" do you have to be to qualify for the poll? Go visit a reservation and starting calling the people there "redskins" and see how they take it. There's your poll.

 

It's a known racist term.

post #244 of 324

Mama always told me as a very young boy ... "son NEVER discuss politics, religion, or political correctness on a golf forum"  

 

My mama apparently was a very smart lady ... and she turns 90 in September :) 

post #245 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
 

 

It might restrict the popularity of the game in Asia in the future, though.

 

Ya think? :-P

post #246 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by isukgolf View Post
 

Mama always told me as a very young boy ... "son NEVER discuss politics, religion, or political correctness on a golf forum"  

 

My mama apparently was a very smart lady ... and she turns 90 in September :) 

 

She is smart.

 

We are all friends here though, and like partaking in friendly debates.

post #247 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc123 View Post
 

 

 

Ok.  I tried.  I really thought this was one of those rare occasions where you could actually change someone's mind because much of the dispute started with whether the term is actually racist and whether people were offended--two things that have been proven.  But some of you are just being so obtuse that its impossible.  :surrender:


I'm up to 18,783 posts on the internet without changing a single person's mind about anything.

 

Only 12,053 more to go and I'll match my record for failed attempts to change my mother-in-law's mind about anything. ;-)

post #248 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post
 


I'm up to 18,783 posts on the internet without changing a single person's mind about anything.

 

Only 12,053 more to go and I'll match my record for failed attempts to change my mother-in-law's mind about anything. ;-)

 

Maybe you should get one of these and fill in the "in-law":

 

 

 

:-D

post #249 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc123 View Post
 

 

Maybe you should get one of these and fill in the "in-law":

 

 

 

:-D


Somebody changed my mind one time and then I later found out I was right to begin with. Never again! :smartass:

post #250 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post


Somebody changed my mind one time and then I later found out I was right to begin with. Never again! :smartass:

lol That sounds like my dad's line. "I was only wrong once, when I doubted myself and found out I was right anyway." or "I know everything and if you ask me something I don't know, I simply forgot". He's a riot to golf with.

post #251 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
 

lol That sounds like my dad's line. "I was only wrong once, when I doubted myself and found out I was right anyway." or "I know everything and if you ask me something I don't know, I simply forgot". He's a riot to golf with.


Haha.

 

My dad used to always say between he and his brother they knew everything. Then if you asked him something he always said that must be one of the things his brother knows.

post #252 of 324
At the risk of starting a furor, heard an update on this, post-commercial that I thought I'd pass along.

Al Michaels asked Snyder about his reaction to the commercial. Snyder responded, "I will never change the name, ever. It will happen over my dead body." Close to the exact quote but paraphrased a little cuz I'm transcribing from a radio report I just heard. He sounds pretty dug in.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Grill Room
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › Political Correctness - How Far Should it Go? Should the Washington Redskins change their name?