or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Brandel Gives Tiger an F/ Tiger's Agent Hints at Legal Action Against Chamblee
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Brandel Gives Tiger an F/ Tiger's Agent Hints at Legal Action Against Chamblee - Page 19  

post #325 of 762

BTW here's what Tiger has said 

http://www.cbssports.com/general/writer/gregg-doyel/24151540/tiger-leaning-on-golf-channel-to-fire-chamblee-a-dirty-move

 

Quote:
 "All I am going to say is that I know I am going forward. But then, I don't know what the Golf Channel is going to do or not. But then that's up to them. The whole issue has been very disappointing, as he didn't really apologize and he sort of reignited the whole situation. So the ball really is in the court of the Golf Channel and what they are prepared to do."
 

Lest any of us think that whole "ball is in their court" thing was just a theory that popped out of Tiger's mouth, here's what Steinberg said on Monday:

"I'm all done talking about it, and it's now in the hands of the Golf Channel," Steinberg said. "That's Tiger's view and that's mine, and all we want to do is move forward. And whether the Golf Channel moves forward as well, then we'll have to wait and see."

 

post #326 of 762
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc123 View Post
 

And Rory weighs in....

 

 

Quote:
 

"Yeah, I think Brandel was completely wrong," McIlroy said, according to several outlets, including the UK's Daily Mail. "I don't think he has the authority to say anything like that about Tiger Woods. People wouldn't know who Brandel Chamblee was if it wasn't for Tiger Woods, so I am completely against what he said and I think he should be dealt with in the right way."

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/9902554/rory-mcilroy-comes-defense-tiger-woods


Well I like it when people stand up for what they feel is right in a situation they could just lay down and make no comment.

post #327 of 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc123 View Post
 

And Rory weighs in....

 

 

I like his point about Brandel having no fame without Tiger.  (Might be a little bit of an exaggeration, but it's at least partially true)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post
 


Well I like it when people stand up for what they feel is right in a situation they could just lay down and make no comment.

I agree.  And I used to feel that way about Brandel too. ;)

post #328 of 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

I like his point about Brandel having no fame without Tiger.  (Might be a little bit of an exaggeration, but it's at least partially true)

 

I agree.  And I used to feel that way about Brandel too. ;)

BC went too far, I'm not sure if he really thinks Tiger is a cheater or if he was trying to be outrageous but he crossed the line.  Golf Channel is in a tough spot because either way they will take heat for their decision which probably makes them even more annoyed at BC for putting them in the position to begin with.

post #329 of 762

So, what should the Golf Channel do?

 

They could sack BC - saying that he doesn't represent the values they want to project.

 

They could ask him to apologise on air.

 

They could issue a statement saying that BC's comments through golf.com don't represent the views of GC.

 

They could resume business as usual either ignoring the situation, or treating the matter as closed following BC's tweeted apology.

 

If they plump for the last one, does that imply GC's tacit endorsement of what BC wrote?

 

Lastly, what about the PGA? Isn't Brandel a member? Is there no code of practice for the profession that covers this, or a sanction available for someone who brings the profession into disrepute? Soccer players and managers are routinely subject to fines and/or other sanction in the UK for unsportmanlike comments.

post #330 of 762

I say just get rid of him. He's terrible at his job, and he's not very enjoyable to watch on TV. They could find someone much better.

post #331 of 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

I say just get rid of him. He's terrible at his job, and he's not very enjoyable to watch on TV. They could find someone much better.

But that's not a response to the current situation. Though you might call it talent roster management.

post #332 of 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

... He's terrible at his job, and he's not very enjoyable to watch on TV.

I don't really agree with this.  (I removed the first sentence because I'm not saying that I don't agree with the idea that they should fire him.  And I removed the last sentence, because they probably could find somebody better ... you can probably always find somebody better)  He is quite good at his job in my opinion.  His main fault is his arrogance, and of course, this giant mis-step.  I wouldn't call watching him "enjoyable," but it's frequently intriguing.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by birlyshirly View Post
 

But that's not a response to the current situation. Though you might call it talent roster management.

LOL.  But even if they were "managing their roster," if they did it now, it would certainly appear as though its a response to the current situation. ;)

post #333 of 762

Not exactly a glowing endorsement of Tiger, is it? I must admit I was quite surprised to read something quite so strongly worded; I must have been softened up by this thread!

post #334 of 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by birlyshirly View Post
 

So, what should the Golf Channel do?

 

They could sack BC - saying that he doesn't represent the values they want to project.

 

They could ask him to apologise on air.

 

They could issue a statement saying that BC's comments through golf.com don't represent the views of GC.

 

They could resume business as usual either ignoring the situation, or treating the matter as closed following BC's tweeted apology.

 

If they plump for the last one, does that imply GC's tacit endorsement of what BC wrote?

 

Lastly, what about the PGA? Isn't Brandel a member? Is there no code of practice for the profession that covers this, or a sanction available for someone who brings the profession into disrepute? Soccer players and managers are routinely subject to fines and/or other sanction in the UK for unsportmanlike comments.

They should suspend him for a month without pay - and that month should contain a Major.  So maybe April.

post #335 of 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by birlyshirly View Post
 

So, what should the Golf Channel do?

 

Make him cover the LPGA and pick on Yani or Michelle Wie.

post #336 of 762

I know I'm gonna enjoy whatever comes of this situation. I'm not a fan Chamblee, so if he loses his TV gig, O well. If he stays, I'll like to see what he has to say about Tiger again. This whole situation was so-so for me until his apology. If you wanna apologize, do so. Don't insult people's intelligence by putting up some half @$$ nonsense as an apology. He wrote an article to bash Tiger, and it seems to be backfiring more than the he thought.

 

I'll say it again, there are so many ways he could easily stand out as a golf analyst without bashing anyone, but he chose this mudslinging route. He deserves whatever he gets

post #337 of 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleback View Post
 

They should suspend him for a month without pay - and that month should contain a Major.  So maybe April.

That would be fair punishment given the circumstances.

post #338 of 762

There is a funny parallel to this story.  There is a writer at The Boston Globe named Dan Shaughnessy that is the BC equal.  He is a columnist that is always negative and whiny.   He co-wrote a book with Terry Francona that was really negative toward the Red Sox management.  So, John Henry, the owner of the Sox, bought The Boston Globe.  Now Dan is Mr. Sunshine!  

 

Maybe Tiger can buy The Golf Channel.

post #339 of 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post

There is a funny parallel to this story.  There is a writer at The Boston Globe named Dan Shaughnessy that is the BC equal.  He is a columnist that is always negative and whiny.   He co-wrote a book with Terry Francona that was really negative toward the Red Sox management.  So, John Henry, the owner of the Sox, bought The Boston Globe.  Now Dan is Mr. Sunshine!  

Maybe Tiger can buy The Golf Channel.
Off Topic (Click to show)
He was also the guy who made "The Curse of the Bambino" mainstream with two books.

For that, and for the non-stop 1918-themes vignettes Fox aired during the 2003 and 2004 playoffs, I can never forgive him.
post #340 of 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc123 View Post
 

And Rory weighs in....

 

 

 

Good to hear that he has some support among his peers.  It would be interesting to hear from some of his other peers who don't have good relationships with him, though.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by birlyshirly View Post
 

They could ask him to apologise on air.

 

They could issue a statement saying that BC's comments through golf.com don't represent the views of GC.

 

I believe the bolded part is the easiest, and first step.  Obviously, it may not appease all parties involved though.  As to the first part, I believe that would maybe appease Tiger Woods and his camp, but I don't believe The Golf Channel can force him to do it without threatening to fire him over it if he doesn't.  I don't believe he is obligated to.

 

It is an interesting situation indeed.  I'm not in the camp that believes something should necessarily be done about him from a legal perspective.  But if they truly feel a lawsuit is imminent, they may feel like their hand is forced.

post #341 of 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post

I say just get rid of him. He's terrible at his job, and he's not very enjoyable to watch on TV. They could find someone much better.

I disagree. He is great at his job. Just as John Dvorak was great at his job in the late 90s.
post #342 of 762

I don't mind BC.

 

I think he is good at what he does ... he was sloppy in this case, and received sloppy counsel, if any.

 

As to Tiger's camp, all of this protesting is wrongheaded strategy. You can release a statement or have Tiger say, "I'm disappointed with BC's comments, and I can only think he was suffering from IBS* when he wrote the article. That is all we'll say other than I won't be talking with BC in this century. (Big Smile)"

 

Humor is the way to go.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*IBS - Irritable Bowel Syndrome

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
This thread is locked  
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Brandel Gives Tiger an F/ Tiger's Agent Hints at Legal Action Against Chamblee