or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Brandel Gives Tiger an F/ Tiger's Agent Hints at Legal Action Against Chamblee
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Brandel Gives Tiger an F/ Tiger's Agent Hints at Legal Action Against Chamblee - Page 20  

post #343 of 762
I remember a few years back when Kelly Tilghman was taken off the air for something similar - Brandel is on a same path.
post #344 of 762

I'm a huge Tiger fan and I also agree that Chamblee is great at his job.  At first I always changed the channel when he came on, simply because it appeared like he was barking at Tiger & Foley for the sake of making noise.  Over time he looked like, to me anyways, like he figured out how to tone it down.  He still has outbursts, but overall I think he adds great value with his in depth analysis of the sport.  His golf.com article was beyond ridiculous.  That article alone deserves any number of punishments, including termination.  However,  if I was GC I would give him another shot.  I like hearing people criticize Tiger, as long as it's not blatant insults and incoherent ramblings.  He needs to stay away from that and also learn that he's not always right. Especially when doing a broadcast with Nobilo.

post #345 of 762
Thread Starter 
 
 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post
 


Well I like it when people stand up for what they feel is right in a situation they could just lay down and make no comment.

I agree.  And I used to feel that way about Brandel too. ;)

I didn't feel that way because he makes Tabloid comments too often

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by birlyshirly View Post
 

So, what should the Golf Channel do?

Make him shave his head and wear plaid and stripes together for a year

 
post #346 of 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan Jeff View Post

I remember a few years back when Kelly Tilghman was taken off the air for something similar - Brandel is on a same path.

 

I don't know if it was similar. Kelly's comment was racially tinged (in the opinion of many). Brandel's wasn't really race-related.

post #347 of 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post


I disagree. He is great at his job. Just as John Dvorak was great at his job in the late 90s.

I sure agree that Brandel Chamblee is good at this job and I found his commentaries usually interesting and thought provoking albeit I didn't always agree.  But he did cross a line with the article grading Tiger implying Tiger cheated.  I'll leave it to the folks that pay him what action they believe appropriate if any (although it would surprise me if no statement and/or action from TGC isn't forthcoming in the near future).  

 

I guess I should add that while Dvorak was wrong about the Iphone it was an interesting article (especially in hindsight).  I assume that was the parallel you intended.  

post #348 of 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghalfaire View Post
 

I guess I should add that while Dvorak was wrong about the Iphone it was an interesting article (especially in hindsight).  I assume that was the parallel you intended.  

 

The iPhone wasn't around in the late 90s. So I mostly mean his trolling of  fans.

post #349 of 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan Jeff View Post

I remember a few years back when Kelly Tilghman was taken off the air for something similar - Brandel is on a same path.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

I don't know if it was similar. Kelly's comment was racially tinged (in the opinion of many). Brandel's wasn't really race-related.

Further, I think it's safe to say that it was a complete accident.  I remember it ... she was commenting on how Tiger was on a hot streak and the only way to stop it would be to lynch him.  A slip of the tongue on live TV.  Not remotely the same as an article in print.  Additionally, she apologized, she was punished, Tiger wasn't the least bit bothered by it, end of story.

post #350 of 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post


Further, I think it's safe to say that it was a complete accident.  I remember it ... she was commenting on how Tiger was on a hot streak and the only way to stop it would be to lynch him.  A slip of the tongue on live TV.  Not remotely the same as an article in print.  Additionally, she apologized, she was punished, Tiger wasn't the least bit bothered by it, end of story.
LMFAO!!!! She said that???? Fuzzy must have opened a bottle of champagne and broke into the happy dance.

Wow.

Lol, that is ****ing zinger for sure. Ha ha.
post #351 of 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc123 View Post

And Rory weighs in....


Rory shouldn't have gotten involved. He has enough to be dealing with.
post #352 of 762
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by noro View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc123 View Post

And Rory weighs in....
 

Rory shouldn't have gotten involved. He has enough to be dealing with.


^says most of America....not my problem

post #353 of 762

An on air apology now.

 

Quote:

 

Brandel Chamblee made his first on-air comments Wednesday since an Internet column he wrote two weeks ago insinuated that Tiger Woods had cheated because he had several rules violations during the 2013 season.

"In offering my assessment of Tiger to you and specifically looking at the incidents in Abu Dhabi, Augusta, Ponte Vedra and Chicago, I said Tiger Woods was cavalier about the rules. I should have stopped right there," Chamblee told Golf Channel host Rich Lerner. "In comparing those incidents to my cheating episode in the fourth grade, I went too far.

Chamblee said the website's editors asked him to rewrite the portion pertaining to Woods, and that he declined. He said he would no longer be writing for the site or for Golf Magazine after this year."Cheating involves intent. I know what my intent was on that fourth-grade math test. But there's no way I could know with 100 percent certainty what Tiger's intent was in any of those situations. That was my mistake."

 

I think its interesting that the best he'll do is say that he shouldn't have said Tiger cheated because he can't be 100% certain of his intent.  Basically he's still saying he thinks Tiger intentionally cheated.

post #354 of 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc123 View Post
 

An on air apology now.

 

Quote:

 

Brandel Chamblee made his first on-air comments Wednesday since an Internet column he wrote two weeks ago insinuated that Tiger Woods had cheated because he had several rules violations during the 2013 season.

"In offering my assessment of Tiger to you and specifically looking at the incidents in Abu Dhabi, Augusta, Ponte Vedra and Chicago, I said Tiger Woods was cavalier about the rules. I should have stopped right there," Chamblee told Golf Channel host Rich Lerner. "In comparing those incidents to my cheating episode in the fourth grade, I went too far.

Chamblee said the website's editors asked him to rewrite the portion pertaining to Woods, and that he declined. He said he would no longer be writing for the site or for Golf Magazine after this year."Cheating involves intent. I know what my intent was on that fourth-grade math test. But there's no way I could know with 100 percent certainty what Tiger's intent was in any of those situations. That was my mistake."

 

I think its interesting that the best he'll do is say that he shouldn't have said Tiger cheated because he can't be 100% certain of his intent.  Basically he's still saying he thinks Tiger intentionally cheated.

 

Yeah... all of his "apologies" are half-hearted and insincere. 

post #355 of 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc123 View Post
 

 

I think its interesting that the best he'll do is say that he shouldn't have said Tiger cheated because he can't be 100% certain of his intent.  Basically he's still saying he thinks Tiger intentionally cheated.

At this point, he's probably been advised by his legal counsel to use the words he has so not to admit his intent to slander or directly accuse Tiger of being a cheater.  I'd guess this is the best you're going to get from BC with regards to an admittance of wrong doing on his part.

post #356 of 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by noro View Post


Rory shouldn't have gotten involved. He has enough to be dealing with.

 

He have wars to manage or a federal deficit to eliminate?  Or can even he not take the time to have an opinion if everything in his life isn't 100% perfect?  

 

C'mon guy, even the busiest among us should be allowed to "get involved" if that means just saying what we think.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc123 View Post
 

 

I think its interesting that the best he'll do is say that he shouldn't have said Tiger cheated because he can't be 100% certain of his intent.  Basically he's still saying he thinks Tiger intentionally cheated.

 

Pretty savvy statement by him.  

 

Not for nothin', I'd also like to point out that his comments leading to this controversy were not only planned, but scrutinized before he went forward with them.  That goes towards a point I made earlier in the thread about how, no matter Tiger's behavior after-the-fact, his actions were a reaction to a set of circumstances he found himself in.  Whereas with Brandel, he clearly went on the air with the intention to say the words he chose, and likely even did so knowing he would cause controversy.  So I do believe it's very fair to differentiate between the two.

post #357 of 762

Transcript of Chamblee talking with Rich Lerner

 

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/transcript-chamblee-talks-woods-f-grade-article/

Quote:
 

RICH LERNER: Brandel, let's address the events of the last couple of weeks off the article that you wrote for Sports Illustrated's golf website Golf.com. You've had a chance to reflect on it, consider what you wrote. Is there anything you would have done differently, you wish you would have done differently?

BRANDEL CHAMBLEE: A few things, Rich. You know, in offering my assessment of Tiger’s year and specifically looking at the incidents in Abu Dhabi, Augusta, Ponte Vedra and Chicago, I said Tiger Woods was cavalier about the rules. I should have stopped right there. In comparing those incidents to my cheating episode in the fourth grade, I went too far. Cheating involves intent. Now I, I know what my intent was on that fourth grade math test. But there's no way that I could know with one hundred percent certainty what Tiger's intent was in any of those situations. That was my mistake.

LERNER: Blunt question: Do you have a vendetta against Tiger?

CHAMBLEE: Of course not. My job as an analyst at Golf Channel requires me to analyze golf and offer my opinions. I'd like to think I'm pretty good at it. Tiger Woods is the best player in the game by miles, maybe the best player of all time. And over the years, I have said a lot of positive things about Tiger's golf swing and his accomplishments, and at times I've been critical, but that's my job. And my obligation to the viewer to not only talk about when Tiger plays well, but when he doesn't play well and put it into perspective, as well as every other player. Now at times, I can be a bit forceful with my opinions, and some would say too forceful too many times. Fair enough. And that was obviously the case in this instance. So much so that even my son chimed in on this issue.

LERNER: Your son – what did he have to say about all of it?

CHAMBLEE: Well I have a 45 minute drive to and from the school every day. So we've had a lot of time to talk about this as he and his buddies have read almost all of this online. And at one point in one of those drives he looked at me and he said, "Dad, if you'd been more diplomatic in what you wrote, perhaps people would be talking more about the issue than your assessment." He's a smart kid. And it wasn't until after he said that that I offered my apology on Twitter. Maybe I should have let my son read this column before I hit send on the email.

LERNER: What's next in all of this?

CHAMBLEE: Tiger and his camp, they're upset at Golf Channel; they specifically called Golf Channel out.  And to me they're barking up the wrong tree. This column appeared on Golf.com, nobody here at Golf Channel knew anything about it and my editor at Golf.com asked me to rewrite the ending when I sent it in to him. I wished I would have listened to him. But all of this has made me realize that there is a conflict and a confusion when you work for one company and write for another company. So going forward, I'm not going to be writing for Golf Magazine beginning next year. I'll be writing  exclusively for GolfChannel.com, (NBCSports.com). And you know, that way if Tiger and his camp have an issue with something I write, they will at least be yelling at the right people.

post #358 of 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc123 View Post
 

 

I think its interesting that the best he'll do is say that he shouldn't have said Tiger cheated because he can't be 100% certain of his intent.  Basically he's still saying he thinks Tiger intentionally cheated.

I don't know that I'd go quite that far.  He admitted that he couldn't possibly know what Tiger was thinking.  (That's a lot more than some people I know ;))

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post
 

 

Yeah... all of his "apologies" are half-hearted and insincere. 

If he'd have come out with this one first ... I'd view it a pretty good (and seemingly sincere) apology.  But considering that his first comments were a defense of his column, and then his second comments were a weak attempt at a twitter apology, I'm with you ... this comes across as really fake and forced.

post #359 of 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

Transcript of Chamblee talking with Rich Lerner

 

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/transcript-chamblee-talks-woods-f-grade-article/

 

Started off good. I gave him some credit for stating that he is "doing his job".

Suddenly, I felt a chill as I read the end part of this transcript :no:

Boy, I would say Brandon has a seriously over inflated ego.

post #360 of 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
 

 

Started off good. I gave him some credit for stating that he is "doing his job".

Suddenly, I felt a chill as I read the end part of this transcript :no:

Boy, I would say Brandon has a seriously over inflated ego.

 

Now, now.  What does my ego have to do with any of this?!? :naughty:

 

I'd like to think that is a fairly accurate Freudian Slip, there ;-)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
This thread is locked  
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Brandel Gives Tiger an F/ Tiger's Agent Hints at Legal Action Against Chamblee