or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (billchao)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Swing (billchao) - Page 11

post #181 of 268
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post

Remember to slow down your practices.  I tend to be too impatient and go to full swings when I should be doing slow repetition.  I have a different priority piece than you.
Thanks, I have the same problem. I'll do something slow and I'll do it right, so I think, "Pfft this is easy," and ramp it up too quickly.

I think another part of the problem is that I do a lot of my practice inside my house with no club in my hands. Once I hold the club, the weight changes how my body reacts and everything gets messed up. I've been practicing more lately, with an actual golf club, and it's been helping.
post #182 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by billchao View Post


Thanks, I have the same problem. I'll do something slow and I'll do it right, so I think, "Pfft this is easy," and ramp it up too quickly.

I think another part of the problem is that I do a lot of my practice inside my house with no club in my hands. Once I hold the club, the weight changes how my body reacts and everything gets messed up. I've been practicing more lately, with an actual golf club, and it's been helping.

Yeah, I have to be careful with that too. I'm a full blown (relax @FarawayFairways, it doesn't mean THAT) golf addict so I sometimes find myself making practice motions with no club in the kitchen or whatever. I try to remind myself not to do that because it does screw up my real swing if I get too deep with it.

post #183 of 268
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

Yeah, I have to be careful with that too. I'm a full blown (relax @FarawayFairways
, it doesn't mean THAT) golf addict so I sometimes find myself making practice motions with no club in the kitchen or whatever. I try to remind myself not to do that because it does screw up my real swing if I get too deep with it.
I'm not sure that it will mess up your swing, but I have noticed that when I make a change without a club, I don't actually change when I try it with the club. I have to really exaggerate the motion without the club to get anything to change with a club. Part of my problem is that I'm not exaggerating the motions enough.
post #184 of 268
Thread Starter 
Shot Zones from Saturday, at Golf Evolution:

6 iron


PW


I'm surprised to see the 6 iron at 175, because I usually hit it longer on the course. PW is spot on. My ballstriking is atrocious; these shots are all over the place.
post #185 of 268

Nice!

post #186 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by billchao View Post

Shot Zones from Saturday, at Golf Evolution:

6 iron


PW


I'm surprised to see the 6 iron at 175, because I usually hit it longer on the course. PW is spot on. My ballstriking is atrocious; these shots are all over the place.

 

It's interesting the shape of the shot zone seems to be leaning the opposite direction. Your long miss is supposed to be left, not right.

 

My 7 iron was showing pretty short for what I normally hit it as well. I had several fat shots and one REALLY fat shot that messed up the number though.

post #187 of 268
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post

Nice!
Thanks, I guess? I thought it sucked lol. It was cool being at Golf Evolution, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlSpackler View Post

It's interesting the shape of the shot zone seems to be leaning the opposite direction. Your long miss is supposed to be left, not right.

My 7 iron was showing pretty short for what I normally hit it as well. I had several fat shots and one REALLY fat shot that messed up the number though.
My long miss is apparently straight. Everything else is left. But yea, I have contact issues, the 150 yard shot is pretty indicative of that.

This actually messed me up on one hole, almost took out @iacas and @mvmac. I forgot which hole it was, but it was a par 3 that I lasered 171 to the pin. @Divot Master said the prevailing wind was towards us, which the flag confirmed, so I thought, "my 6 iron Shot Zone is centered around 175, I'll hit that." I hit it 10 yards past Mike and Erik.
post #188 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlSpackler View Post
 

It's interesting the shape of the shot zone seems to be leaning the opposite direction. Your long miss is supposed to be left, not right.

 

It doesn't have to be. Typically it is, but it doesn't have to be.

post #189 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

It doesn't have to be. Typically it is, but it doesn't have to be.
Clearly true. Just seems weird. =]
post #190 of 268
Thread Starter 

 

 

Why can't I swing like this on the course? Seriously, even my pivot felt different when I was there.

 

Although I did notice the DTL shot was a little chunky, so I guess it's not that different after all.

post #191 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by billchao View Post
 

 

 

Why can't I swing like this on the course? Seriously, even my pivot felt different when I was there.

 

Although I did notice the DTL shot was a little chunky, so I guess it's not that different after all.

When you get the answer, please let me know too!

post #192 of 268
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post

When you get the answer, please let me know too!
I think the obvious answer is that my swing gets longer on the golf course and I'm not hitting from a perfect lie.

The other thing I'm thinking is, in the above videos, I'm focused on making the swing, because there's no real target, I can't see the ballflight, and there's no reason to look up for the ball once it's hit. On the range, my swing is still focused on mechanics, even though there is a target to hit to. On the course, I'm thinking about playing golf, and my swing goes down the toilet. Oh, and then there's the uneven lies, rough, wind, penalties for hitting poor shots, etc.

Basically, net swing > range swing > real swing.

An instructor once told me that I'm too ball oriented, and that I should be more target oriented. I'm still not sure I agree with the advice, because I still think the target is irrelevant if I can't make the swing to get there, but I can't aim for e1_poo.gif either, so what do I know?
post #193 of 268
Thread Starter 
I think I had a lightbulb moment in regards to my overswing. I'm apparently practicing it every time practice my swing. When I make swings in front of a mirror at home, I swing only to where my left arm is parallel to my shoulder line. Here's why in think that's wrong:

When we look at a swing, camera angles matter, right? The DTL view is along the toe line, at hip height. Problem is, my eyes are at eye level (duh) and slightly closer towards the ball than my toe line. What I believe is happening is that I'm seeing myself in the mirror from a view that is both too high (making things look lower than they are) and too close to the ball (making things look like they are deeper than they actually are).

It's no wonder I can't seem to solve my overswing or get my hands deeper. I see myself doing these things right, but my perspective has caused me to make bad practice swings. It's similar to my tendency to drop a ball from eye level instead of shoulder level or how my hands tend to get up towards my face instead of straight out when I do pushups.

I confirmed my hypothesis with a camera last night. Now that I know what to look for, I can finally get it to change. It's probably silly and obvious, but this is important for me so I can change my perspective.

I have redefined the top of my backswing and begun to work on that. I know where A4 really is, now.
post #194 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by billchao View Post

I think I had a lightbulb moment in regards to my overswing. I'm apparently practicing it every time practice my swing. When I make swings in front of a mirror at home, I swing only to where my left arm is parallel to my shoulder line. Here's why in think that's wrong:

When we look at a swing, camera angles matter, right? The DTL view is along the toe line, at hip height. Problem is, my eyes are at eye level (duh) and slightly closer towards the ball than my toe line. What I believe is happening is that I'm seeing myself in the mirror from a view that is both too high (making things look lower than they are) and too close to the ball (making things look like they are deeper than they actually are).

It's no wonder I can't seem to solve my overswing or get my hands deeper. I see myself doing these things right, but my perspective has caused me to make bad practice swings. It's similar to my tendency to drop a ball from eye level instead of shoulder level or how my hands tend to get up towards my face instead of straight out when I do pushups.

I confirmed my hypothesis with a camera last night. Now that I know what to look for, I can finally get it to change. It's probably silly and obvious, but this is important for me so I can change my perspective.

I have redefined the top of my backswing and begun to work on that. I know where A4 really is, now.

That's why I always use video to check my swing positions, plus I don't own a full length mirror. I find it much easier to check things through video that looking at a mirror. But then I've also not made nearly the progress you have yet so maybe I'm not doing things correctly.

post #195 of 268

@billchao

 

Have you tried this drill?  It is very effective at stopping an overswing.

 

post #196 of 268
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post

That's why I always use video to check my swing positions, plus I don't own a full length mirror. I find it much easier to check things through video that looking at a mirror. But then I've also not made nearly the progress you have yet so maybe I'm not doing things correctly.
You're not really that far away from me. I've never been a flipper, so that's what you're working on that I never had to. Just keep doing what you're doing because it's working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post

@billchao


Have you tried this drill?  It is very effective at stopping an overswing.


Yes, thanks. I posted it some time ago in this thread. You commented on it, IIRC b2_tongue.gif

I have a tendency to lift both arms at the end of my backswing, which this feel didn't help me with. Again, I think that's because I got it stuck in my head that my arms needed to be up there. Now that I know better, I can work on it properly.
post #197 of 268
Thread Starter 
Not golf, but still pretty cool:
post #198 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by billchao View Post

 

Needs to release his fourth accumulator faster.

 

:-D

 

Good stuff man.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Swings
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (billchao)