or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Sean Foley on Charlie Rose
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sean Foley on Charlie Rose

post #1 of 41
Thread Starter 
post #2 of 41

Sean Foley Interview on Charlie Rose

Some interesting stuff, worth taking a look

 

"The problem with golf instruction is that there is so much opinion in it."

 

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/sean-foley-charlie-rose-10-28-UhPh6GfPTt~WvTlFQVYpLA.html#ooid=FhbmdoZzq_saVmn5WVKKKhcIcMl8GNUg

 

 

 

post #3 of 41
Thread Starter 

I can't believe I heard the word MORAD on Charlie Rose. :-O  I think that went right by Rose.

post #4 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

 

 

Awesomesauce right elbow position...

post #5 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

 

 

Awesomesauce right elbow position...

 

Hahaha re the word "awesomesauce."

 

Sean's a very inspirational speaker no question, but not as good as his brother Matt. 

post #6 of 41

A great quote from that interview:

 

Tiger: Golf needs to be courted slowly.

 

Well said, Tiger. 

 

I'll definitely watch the rest later. Thanks for posting. 

post #7 of 41
Let me know if you can pick out the brilliant strategic move. I think it's pretty obvious. a1_smile.gif
post #8 of 41
I like the part where he talks about the face being right or left rather than open or closed, we should use that.....oh wait.....
post #9 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

Let me know if you can pick out the brilliant strategic move. I think it's pretty obvious. a1_smile.gif

 

His handling of the Tiger majors question?  I also noticed a little teeny diss w/regards to not accepting outside input/teaching only one way w/regard to SnT.

post #10 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets88 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

Let me know if you can pick out the brilliant strategic move. I think it's pretty obvious. a1_smile.gif

 

His handling of the Tiger majors question?  I also noticed a little teeny diss w/regards to not accepting outside input/teaching only one way w/regard to SnT.

 

And a legit diss at that (plus a few others as well hehe)... of course, he also acknowledged how much of an influence Plummer was, which was cool. I thought he handled the S&T part pretty well. 

 

Erik, it's not obvious to me! Enlighten us, my friend!

 

OK, here are my guesses/parts that I thought were cool from the interview:

 

1) "Pressure is a privilege." Similar of course to Erik's "enjoy pressure." (I may be muddling that quote... sorry, Erik)

 

2) "It'll take five hours to acknowledge and thank all my influences." I thought that was well said.

 

OK, here are my guesses, Erik: 

 

3) He said at one point that he's not going to change a tour pros swing... which obviously isn't true haha, but a nice way of getting some mindsets to buy into the philosophy and not necessarily scare that type of person off. 

 

4)  I doubt this is what Erik was referring to as the brilliant strategic move, but I thought the most insightful thing he said was around 20:29 where he goes: "You have to have a way about you that allows people to just give themselves to [the instruction I'm giving them]." Very well said because winning their hearts and minds has to be there to have any chance of helping someone improve. 

 

5)  He calls his players geniuses and says he's nothing more than a glorified Charlie Rose... that he learns more from them than they do from him.... could that be it? I thought that was funny and a well blown bit of smoke if nothing else. 

 

 

And lastly, I thought it was hilarious when he referred to Tiger as more Wizards Jordan than Bulls Jordan LOL when comparing Tiger 2000 to Tiger 2013. I think he screwed up there and would reword that if he could. A better analogy would have been to say Tiger is more jump-shooter Jordan from the 2nd Bulls threepeat than Slasher-Jordan from the first threepeat. :-D

 

Anyway, I'm probably wrong... OK, I'll wait patiently to find out what was so obvious now :-P 

post #11 of 41

I thought it was a great interview.  I was never a Foley fan (didn't dislike him either) but after watching him I like him a lot more.  He's a bright guy that appears modest (probably intentional) well spoken and seems open to learning.  The comment I liked best was about Hogan having the greatest swing, despite not having the benefit of technology.  I also liked how he avoided the unnecessary comparisons to Harmon by referring to Tiger's age and injuries.  

 

I think he's smart to distance himself from S&T, Mike and Andy don't have a great bedside manner and seem more concerned with being right than helping people improve in golf which doesn't appear to be Foley's approach.

post #12 of 41
I'm still not entirely sure what to think about Foley. It's clear he's a smart guy, but I can't stand listening to him speak. Sometimes I wonder how truly solid of a grasp he has on some things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post


Sean's a very inspirational speaker no question, but not as good as his brother Matt. 

I see what you did there. b2_tongue.gif Regular ol' Bill Shakespeare over here.

Before latching on with Mahan and Tiger I'll bet Sean also had to eat government cheese and lived in a van down by the river.
post #13 of 41

Good post by a teaching pro on FB

 

Quote:
Sean Foley is obviously a great teacher but more importantly he created a brand in a game that was flooded with swing theory. He took a technical approach in a digital age, and then made it sound appealing and unique to the listener/buyer. This game is certainly sales oriented even when selling an idea to a student to gain trust and ultimately change. No I am not saying he has not validated his credentials or that I am certainly qualified to critique them, but throughout the ages this game has seen a resurrection of theory’s and ideas with little change to an implement designed to be a used a certain way…So if sales are going to continue, there is only one way that’s going to happen and that’s a very intelligent marketing person, with a great approach and management team to deliver the message in today’s language…obviously talented and intelligent guy in all aspects.
post #14 of 41
Thread Starter 

I assume most of the people in this forum who watched the interview are familiar with many of the terms SF threw out - MORAD, Trackman, spin loft, scapula, left/right vs open/closed. It seemed like a talk geared towards insiders. I wonder what the casual watcher of Charlie Rose thought. There were probably many HUH? moments.

post #15 of 41

At 24 min, they've been discussing S&T for a few minutes, and Sean essentially states that the way S&T is taught is more for beginners, but not at the professional level when they are discussing weight forward.

 

Interesting ... in that Foley is saying it. 

 

Of course, Erik and Dave Wedzick have said it for 8 months... I guess others are getting brave.

 

Interesting ... he doesn't change their swing ... I think he is using some type of zen thinking there ... I know the swing is the player's responsibility but he does seem to take the burden off himself and onto the player ... he is a "coach" and the players are geniuses.

 

On Tiger ... if he just shows up eventually he will win those majors ... he seemed to imply it was the fickle finger of fate is also involved ... the player can only control only so much ... and golf controls the player a quarter of the time ... the rub of the green, a poor bounce ... (I think that levels out over time ... member's bounce).

 

On Tiger, MJ 2 could not drive to the hole like MJ 1 ... in the same way, Tiger is not the same player that Butch or Hank coached ... He is coaching a Tiger at 37 ... he is what he is ... does that mean Foley is taking the pressure of himself?

 

He seems to downplay his role a lot.


Edited by Mr. Desmond - 10/29/13 at 5:44am
post #16 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post

Of course, Erik and Dave Wedzick have said it for 8 months... I guess others are getting brave.

Bit longer than that. a2_wink.gif The DVD footage was shot almost two years ago bad we knew to shoot it when we had the chance. a3_biggrin.gif
post #17 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post


Bit longer than that. a2_wink.gif The DVD footage was shot almost two years ago bad we knew to shoot it when we had the chance. a3_biggrin.gif

Got'cha.

 

Is this the way it went? Discovered it, discussed and debated it with the S&T community, but posted only when the principals insisted they were correct and were not open to the real data...

post #18 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post
 

At 24 min, they've been discussing S&T for a few minutes, and Sean essentially states that the way S&T is taught is more for beginners, but not at the professional level when they are discussing weight forward.

 

Interesting ... in that Foley is saying it.

 

Of course, Erik and Dave Wedzick have said it for 8 months... I guess others are getting brave.

 

Interesting ... he doesn't change their swing ... I think he is using some type of zen thinking there ... I know the swing is the player's responsibility but he does seem to take the burden off himself and onto the player ... he is a "coach" and the players are geniuses.

 

On Tiger ... if he just shows up eventually he will win those majors ... he seemed to imply it was the fickle finger of fate is also involved ... the player can only control only so much ... and golf controls the player a quarter of the time ... the rub of the green, a poor bounce ... (I think that levels out over time ... member's bounce).

 

On Tiger, MJ 2 could not drive to the hole like MJ 1 ... in the same way, Tiger is not the same player that Butch or Hank coached ... He is coaching a Tiger at 37 ... he is what he is ... does that mean Foley is taking the pressure of himself?

 

He seems to downplay his role a lot.

That's where it's hard to tell if he's truly modest, fake modest or just covering his a$$.  I think he see's how many people blame Haney for Tiger's problems on the course towards the end of their relationship and is concerned if Tiger doesn't beat Jack, he could be tainted like Haney.  If you say I'm "just" his coach, he's the genius, it appears as though he's not responsible for the good or the bad results which is a calculated risk.

 

I also thought it was interesting he has been working with Hunter the longest but spoke about him the least.  I don't know if that was because Charlie Rose didn't show interest in Hunter or an indication of some problems between the two.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Sean Foley on Charlie Rose