or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Taking a divot
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Taking a divot

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

Something I've never noticed or paid any attention to until today is that I don't take a divot very often. Don't get me wrong I hit iron shots really solidly when I say solidly yesterday according to this older gentleman i was playing with I was 155 out with water on the back side of the green on a par 4  475 I decide to hit a SW which I took no divot with and carried the green and ended up in the water. Anyways the front nine I shot a 54. The back nine the guy I was playing with told me exactly what club to hit with on every shot and I managed to shoot a 41. My main question is i've watched alot of good players play recently and they take a divot on almost every shot yet I almost never do. As a kid I took golf lessons and no one ever said anything about the fact that I dont take a divot. How bad is this? What should I do to fix this?

post #2 of 14

I'm to assume that you carried the green and went into the water while you were 155 out, which means you must of hit that thing at least 15 yards more than you should have, so you hit it about 170..  That's pretty good.  I wish I could hit my SW more than the 90 - 110 range.  If you have a swing for us to see that would be great!

post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu3baid View Post
 

I'm to assume that you carried the green and went into the water while you were 155 out, which means you must of hit that thing at least 15 yards more than you should have, so you hit it about 170..  That's pretty good.  I wish I could hit my SW more than the 90 - 110 range.  If you have a swing for us to see that would be great!

I don't have any swings hitting a ball other than a drive 

post #4 of 14

Some PGA touring pro's are known to pick the ball clean too.....  When they do take a divot, it's shallow and small....Stricker is a picker.......Watson and Nicklaus were too.

post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut View Post
 

Some PGA touring pro's are known to pick the ball clean too.....  When they do take a divot, it's shallow and small....Stricker is a picker.......Watson and Nicklaus were too.

Are you saying its something I shouldn't try to correct?

post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCJosh View Post
 

Are you saying its something I shouldn't try to correct?

I wouldn't focus on forcing a divot.  As I said....golfing greats were pickers/sweepers of the ball......

 

 

The key is solid contact with a descending blow....whether or not you take a divot is not relevant.

post #7 of 14

Work on the stuff I sent you ;-)  Divots happen because the club is continuing to move down and forward after it hits the ball.  It's a result of having the weight forward at impact with a flat left wrist.

 

If you really want to start taking some divots, do this drill

 

post #8 of 14
I used to be the same and last year focused on trying to take one. I started hitting the ball more consistently and gained 10-15 yards. It took almost half a year of olaying like Crap and hitting a lot fat but has got me more spin and I play better.
But by what you say I think you just need to get your yardages down and you will be fine.
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

Work on the stuff I sent you a2_wink.gif   Divots happen because the club is continuing to move down and forward after it hits the ball.  It's a result of having the weight forward at impact with a flat left wrist.

If you really want to start taking some divots, do this drill


If Mike has sent you stuff to work on you really shouldn't be soliciting the rest of us shmucks for advice, it will just muddy the water. Do what Mike tells you to do and work hard. Get a handle on the first 3 keys and the divot will just happen, or not, it won't matter if the first 3 keys are being achieved.
post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 

Played 9 holes today really worked on taking a divot and shot a 44 hit quite a few fat shots..

post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCJosh View Post
 

Played 9 holes today really worked on taking a divot and shot a 44 hit quite a few fat shots..

 

Like I've said, divots (in front of the golf ball) happen as a result of some good stuff.  Stick with working on Key#1.  Your head moves to the right too much making low point control difficult.  

post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu3baid View Post
 

I'm to assume that you carried the green and went into the water while you were 155 out, which means you must of hit that thing at least 15 yards more than you should have, so you hit it about 170..  That's pretty good.  I wish I could hit my SW more than the 90 - 110 range.  If you have a swing for us to see that would be great!

 

170 yard SW?  lol..  Here we go again, I'm gonna call BS.  Unless he bladed it, then it might be believable.  And since he said there was no divot.. that's my guess.

post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strandly View Post

170 yard SW?  lol..  Here we go again, I'm gonna call BS.  Unless he bladed it, then it might be believable.  And since he said there was no divot.. that's my guess.

He just needs to cross out the SW on the bottom of the club and write "7" then get a 60degree and write "8" 64 degree and write "9" all the way to a 90 degree lob wedge! 😄
post #14 of 14
That's what I am working on too. I either hit it fat and get stock in turf or sweep with not a lot of spin. Need lessons as I know what I am doing wrong just need someone to watch me real time and correct me
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Taking a divot