or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Bogey golfer only thread (handicap index from 16 - 22) - what are you going through, working on, sob stories, ....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bogey golfer only thread (handicap index from 16 - 22) - what are you going through, working on,... - Page 12

post #199 of 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkim291968 View Post
 

I found out I introduced swaying into my swing.   This explains why I could not hit consistently.  I'd hit a perfect 4i followed by poor 9i into OB.  In the last two range sessions, I kept swaying to minimum and suddenly I am back to my old swing.   Things are looking better.  

 

I wonder why it feels so natural to sway? Maybe we feel like it gives us more momentum?

 

That was one of my major issues as well.

 

The problem I have now is putting too much spin on the ball. The only good part is the balls land and sit right where I hit them, lately on the fairway and near the greens. I wonder how much distance is being robbed?

 

I need to experiment with place ball placement, and test different setups.

post #200 of 944

What a bunch of hackers....

 

 

lol

post #201 of 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananarama View Post
 

What a bunch of hackers....

 

 

lol

 

Yup, I guess that's why we are on this thread instead of "Single digit only thread..."

post #202 of 944

:)  I wonder if people when they drop down handicaps if they still think they are hackers.  Im still a hacker at the best of times.

post #203 of 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananarama View Post
 

:)  I wonder if people when they drop down handicaps if they still think they are hackers.  Im still a hacker at the best of times.

Judging by the way some of the good players on this forum describe themselves, the answer is yes.

post #204 of 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKFREAK View Post

I checked out the link and do you think the same setup holds true for the driver?

I've always read/heard/been told that you want the ball to be teed up in line with the inside of the front foot and in the link it says to play it back in the stance.

It works with the driver. Set up with the ball position as you normally wood.
post #205 of 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post

I wonder why it feels so natural to sway? Maybe we feel like it gives us more momentum?

That was one of my major issues as well.

The problem I have now is putting too much spin on the ball. The only good part is the balls land and sit right where I hit them, lately on the fairway and near the greens. I wonder how much distance is being robbed?

I need to experiment with place ball placement, and test different setups.

Do you hit the ball really high?
post #206 of 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriHack View Post

Do you hit the ball really high?

Yes, sometimes really high and then ball stops dead. Half the time I hit fine, still high but good distances.

Yesterday, evening I had serious spins. A couple drives were about 220 and just stopped dead, one shot off the tee with a 6i stopped within a few inches after landing on the green. All shots just stopped dead. Played pretty well because of that, 6 pars and 3 double bogeys because of hard pan chipping.

I would like to know exactly what I am doing to get those shots and my "normal" shots.

I think it's setup related. I read some old threads on this forum, and need to get on a monitor while playing with my ball positions.
post #207 of 944
Thread Starter 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu View Post

 

The only good part is the balls land and sit right where I hit them, lately on the fairway and near the greens. I wonder how much distance is being robbed?

 

Well, when you are hitting into green, this is not a bad thing.   It's easier to place your ball near the hole this way.  My ball has tendency to roll if I don't hit right.  That makes it difficult to control distance when hitting mid/long irons into green. 

post #208 of 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post

Yes, sometimes really high and then ball stops dead. Half the time I hit fine, still high but good distances.

Yesterday, evening I had serious spins. A couple drives were about 220 and just stopped dead, one shot off the tee with a 6i stopped within a few inches after landing on the green. All shots just stopped dead. Played pretty well because of that, 6 pars and 3 double bogeys because of hard pan chipping.

I would like to know exactly what I am doing to get those shots and my "normal" shots.

I think it's setup related. I read some old threads on this forum, and need to get on a monitor while playing with my ball positions.

Are you flipping? It sounds a bit to me like it may be a flipping issue, and the quality of your shots is dependent on the timing of it.
post #209 of 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by billchao View Post

Are you flipping? It sounds a bit to me like it may be a flipping issue, and the quality of your shots is dependent on the timing of it.

I would agree. I had the same problem getting a little to active with the hands. It stops you from hitting down on the ball like you should. If you timing is on, you'll have a great day. If its off your screwed. This is were advice form me could hurt you more than help you. But I will tell you what I was thinking in my swing.

1. I was trying to square the club face with my hands. Witch is impressive if you can do it. Problem is that the club is moving so fast you can't.
2. over swinging. screwed everything up. My full swing was way off. For me the feel of a half swing is a full swing. Anything more than that and I get all kinds of problems. Even with the half swing I don't lose any distance.

have someone video your swing and you can see it.
post #210 of 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriHack View Post


I would agree. I had the same problem getting a little to active with the hands. It stops you from hitting down on the ball like you should. If you timing is on, you'll have a great day. If its off your screwed. This is were advice form me could hurt you more than help you. But I will tell you what I was thinking in my swing.

1. I was trying to square the club face with my hands. Witch is impressive if you can do it. Problem is that the club is moving so fast you can't.
2. over swinging. screwed everything up. My full swing was way off. For me the feel of a half swing is a full swing. Anything more than that and I get all kinds of problems. Even with the half swing I don't lose any distance.

have someone video your swing and you can see it.

 

Yeah, I need to add some videos (swings) to my swing thread. :-). Soon.

 

At this point, I don't really know if I am flipping or not. I turn my hips to initiate the swing and let the arms and the hands follow that motion. I connect pretty well with the ball, just with a high flight. There is probably too much spin as a result of a downward AOA on my driver. It's great for my irons and hybrids, but not so with my two woods.

 

In any case, I do plan to start posting videos.

post #211 of 944
Thread Starter 
Quote:
It's great for my irons and hybrids, but not so with my two woods.

 

More level swing for longer clubs usually fix this problem for me.    But such is life of bogey golfer.   If iron works, longer club doesn't and vice versa.   I think this is b/c we don't make the subtle changes to our swing from club to club (e.g, 5i to 3W).

post #212 of 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkim291968 View Post
 

 

More level swing for longer clubs usually fix this problem for me.    But such is life of bogey golfer.   If iron works, longer club doesn't and vice versa.   I think this is b/c we don't make the subtle changes to our swing from club to club (e.g, 5i to 3W).

 

My swing is not more level or flat for longer or shorter clubs. I try to have the same arm/hand swing path for all my clubs. I think I just need to figure out where to setup the ball in my stance. Maybe make some adjustments to grip. Mainly to get comfortable swinging with different ball positions and swing paths with every club using the same swing.

 

I still want that high/high spin shot for some situations. Others, I might want more run out.

 

The main thing is to know (or at least have an inkling) what flight I will get with a particular setup.

post #213 of 944
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post

 

My swing is not more level or flat for longer or shorter clubs. I try to have the same arm/hand swing path for all my clubs. I think I just need to figure out where to setup the ball in my stance. Maybe make some adjustments to grip.

 

You might want to check that with your instructor.   My understanding is that although your basic swing form should be pretty much same for all clubs, longer clubs need more level swing.    If you are using same iron swing level for driver, you will uppercut the ball which will generate high ball flight.  

post #214 of 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkim291968 View Post
 

 

You might want to check that with your instructor.   My understanding is that although your basic swing form should be pretty much same for all clubs, longer clubs need more level swing.    If you are using same iron swing level for driver, you will uppercut the ball which will generate high ball flight.  

 

My hand ends up in roughly the same position at impact for all my clubs, but the longer clubs will naturally lie flatter with the ball farther away from me. The club head path might be flatter, but my arm and hand path are the same throughout my bag. It feels more natural than ever, and I get more leverage from the longer clubs for longer distances.

 

I should double check this, but it seems to work for me and I get good progressive distances with all my clubs. Plus, I don't worry about "if" I can hit the longer irons, but rather if it lands where I want it, and if it was a wise choice for the landing position.

post #215 of 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananarama View Post

:)  I wonder if people when they drop down handicaps if they still think they are hackers.  Im still a hacker at the best of times.

You're at the golf is fun handicap. Hacker or not. a1_smile.gif
post #216 of 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKFREAK View Post
 

A lot that has been posted here has been very helpful.

 

I worry damaging my house about practicing my swing indoors on the living room carpet but maybe I shouldn't?

 

What did you find yourself focusing on most to stop hitting slices off the tee?

good question... 

 

I wound up making the most progress when I paid closer attention to my back swing. I learned that I was swinging my club back more with my arms instead of turning my upper body. When I started making a more "connected" back swing, my downswing just kind of fell in line, and I started hitting draws and even hooks. I was also focusing on getting my weight more forward as well. I had a huge problem with hitting off my back foot which I think was contributing to the problem. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Bogey golfer only thread (handicap index from 16 - 22) - what are you going through, working on, sob stories, ....