or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Bogey golfer only thread (handicap index from 16 - 22) - what are you going through, working on, sob stories, ....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bogey golfer only thread (handicap index from 16 - 22) - what are you going through, working on,... - Page 45

post #793 of 1074
Quote:
Originally Posted by DwightC View Post

Lihu--

Gabby Hayes, now there was a man to admire.   An early metrosexual role model, and a real chick magnet (as long as he stayed downwind).

Chasm--

I know the short game won't come to me and agree I need to focus on it as all this unfolds.  I think the reason I've always assumed retired guys have good short games is that they've got the time to practice.  I know if I want to find my short game I need to 'practice, practice, practice.'  That must mean, as anyone who has ever taken piano lessons or been related to anyone taking piano lessons knows, that my short game must be somewhere near Carnegie Hall. (That's a reference to the oldest piano teacher joke in the book).

I would suggest knowing and executing the right technique before practice.. ًhave you taken a look at the short pitching videos from bit Erik and Mike?
post #794 of 1074
I started to sniff the elusive draw on the range yesterday. I think Im going to reread hogans book this weekend. Everyone have a safe and happy fourth.


cheers
post #795 of 1074
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriHack View Post

I started to sniff the elusive draw on the range yesterday. I think Im going to reread hogans book this weekend. Everyone have a safe and happy fourth.


cheers

Cool, good job on the draw. Meanwhile my lead tape sheared off again!
post #796 of 1074

For the past two weeks I've been working on putting and chipping. I had 42 putts in a round 2 weeks ago. Played twice last week shot 89 and 88 with 36 and 31 putts. Lets see what today brings. 

 

I still make to many stupid mistakes. The back nine of the 88 started with double,double, double, triple. Finished with birdie par par par par. Still cannot figure out how you do that.

post #797 of 1074
Shot a 92 ... There is one par 5 that always gets me ... And it got me ... Had an 8 with a penalty stroke ...

Chapter 5/6 from the #lowestscorewins really hit home for me ... The whole book is helping, but was not hitting my driver well ... While not fully where I want to be, I definitely will be implementing suggestions from the book ...

I knocking on the door ...
post #798 of 1074
Quote:
Originally Posted by isukgolf View Post

Shot a 92 ... There is one par 5 that always gets me ... And it got me ... Had an 8 with a penalty stroke ...

Chapter 5/6 from the #lowestscorewins really hit home for me ... The whole book is helping, but was not hitting my driver well ... While not fully where I want to be, I definitely will be implementing suggestions from the book ...

I knocking on the door ...

At this point, spending more time on your driver might help you get to the next level. It sounds like the rest of your game is pretty good to be shooting in the low 90s on occasion.

Good luck breaking 90!

I'm also working my way through the book, but it's taking me some time to digest everything.
post #799 of 1074
Been blocking stuff out to the right (again) so went to see the pro to get my swing path back on track. Sure enough, I'd slipped back into swinging out to in, it took him about five minutes to put me right.

So, when concentrating on doing it right (key for me seems to be keeping the right elbow close to my body) I'm hitting it straight. That's what I'd hoped for. What I hadn't expected was the by-product - my ball-striking is suddenly much better, to the extent that on my last couple of rounds I've been 10-15 yards longer with my irons. Today I was hitting the eight-iron around 160 yards, and was through the green on several holes.

I didn't score especially well and clearly I need to reappraise the distances I hit each club. But I'm feeling that progress is being made and that if I keep this going, the scores will follow. Rare for me to be optimistic, but striking the ball cleanly seems to do a lot for my mood.
post #800 of 1074

I've healed enough from cartilage tear in my ribs to get back to the range.  After struggling all season with an inconsistent swing and then getting injured I've decided I'm going to use the rest of the summer and fall with my club pro to rebuild my swing from scratch versus the patch work I've been doing.  I told the club pro I wanted to tear down everything and start from scratch.

 

First lesson was today and focused on proper grip, my old grip over overly strong.  I've known it was for last two years but we tried to patch my swing around it versus making the grip change.  The new grip felt completely awkward, having my left hand so over my right felt very odd, as my left was so accustomed to being under the club.  My instructor was pleasantly surprised that with the new grip I was not hitting everything to the left but cautioned me that without conscious practice my left hand would slowly sneak back to it's old spot. 

 

Next we focused on making my swing less arms and more body.  My current swing was almost all arms and resulted in overly sliding my hips and casting the club at the ball.  We worked on weight transfer and rotation which again felt very awkward.  He told me to work on the grip and shortened backswing to get used to the grip and rotating through.   He also showed me a pump drill to work on holding my wrists so the club was perpendicular to my arms.

 

While everything felt very different I actually feel this is the best long term solution to improving as I've been stuck at 20 for a while and was actually regressing despite my putting improving.

post #801 of 1074
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

I've healed enough from cartilage tear in my ribs to get back to the range.  After struggling all season with an inconsistent swing and then getting injured I've decided I'm going to use the rest of the summer and fall with my club pro to rebuild my swing from scratch versus the patch work I've been doing.  I told the club pro I wanted to tear down everything and start from scratch.

 

First lesson was today and focused on proper grip, my old grip over overly strong.  I've known it was for last two years but we tried to patch my swing around it versus making the grip change.  The new grip felt completely awkward, having my left hand so over my right felt very odd, as my left was so accustomed to being under the club.  My instructor was pleasantly surprised that with the new grip I was not hitting everything to the left but cautioned me that without conscious practice my left hand would slowly sneak back to it's old spot. 

 

Next we focused on making my swing less arms and more body.  My current swing was almost all arms and resulted in overly sliding my hips and casting the club at the ball.  We worked on weight transfer and rotation which again felt very awkward.  He told me to work on the grip and shortened backswing to get used to the grip and rotating through.   He also showed me a pump drill to work on holding my wrists so the club was perpendicular to my arms.

 

While everything felt very different I actually feel this is the best long term solution to improving as I've been stuck at 20 for a while and was actually regressing despite my putting improving.

 

 

Would it be possible for you do document (in your Myswing thread) the changes you make?

 

Start with your current swing and the progress of the improvements?

 

This sounds like a really good opportunity for many of us to see the "tear down" process.

post #802 of 1074
96 today, the tee box was killing me. My chipping practice paid off and save me twice. But besides one really good putt on the first hole I really felt like I took a huge step back. I have to get my driver figured out other wise I think I am going to be stuck in the 90's. Bad thing is that if I am having so much trouble with the big stick, my whole swing is suspect.
post #803 of 1074

I shot a 45 on 9 tonight ... my shortest drive had to be 230 ... that used to be my longest and only if I used my foot wedge the last 10 yards ... Lowest Score Wins chapters on on driving really hit home ... it was the right info, at the right time, and took what I sort of knew and "drove" it home for me ... but was presented in a way that clicked for me ... thanks again LSW. 

post #804 of 1074
Quote:
Originally Posted by isukgolf View Post
 

I shot a 45 on 9 tonight ... my shortest drive had to be 230 ... that used to be my longest and only if I used my foot wedge the last 10 yards ... Lowest Score Wins chapters on on driving really hit home ... it was the right info, at the right time, and took what I sort of knew and "drove" it home for me ... but was presented in a way that clicked for me ... thanks again LSW. 


"Teeing it forward" (as suggested by LSW)  really gave me a different perspective on things. I was a bit more "daring" on my drives. As wild as they were, some of them still landed on the fairway. The only difference was they were farther.

post #805 of 1074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
 

 

 

Would it be possible for you do document (in your Myswing thread) the changes you make?

 

Start with your current swing and the progress of the improvements?

 

This sounds like a really good opportunity for many of us to see the "tear down" process.

I don't mind giving it a shot.  I'll do my best to keep it updated for anyone that's interested.

post #806 of 1074
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

I don't mind giving it a shot.  I'll do my best to keep it updated for anyone that's interested.


Cool. Thanks.

post #807 of 1074
For a couple of weeks now I've been striking the ball much better, without it translating into better scores. So today felt like a bit of a breakthrough, because I managed to add some decent putts to my repertoire. Played nine holes in four over par, hit five greens in regulation, only missed two fairways. Unfortunately I only had time for nine so I couldn't post a score for a complete round.

Or, maybe, fortunately. Walking off at the ninth at least means one can't screw up a decent card on the inward nine!
post #808 of 1074
Thread Starter 

For a week, I worked on getting my club face point toward target at top of swing.  I wasn't doing it for some reason and it may explain why my iron accuracy went worse recently. 

post #809 of 1074

Still working on bigger swings and letting my left arm bend a little.

post #810 of 1074
Oh, Jesus. Did I say "felt like a breakthrough"?

Today I played the first four holes in par figures. After 13 I was still four under my handicap. Then I dropped twelve (count them, twelve) shots in the last five holes. Total, complete, inexplicable meltdown.

It's something to do with losing focus and allowing a bad shot to influence how I play the next one. Before I know where I am, I've lost my tempo and start to hack at it. If I had two more IQ points I'd be almost as intelligent as a potted plant.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Bogey golfer only thread (handicap index from 16 - 22) - what are you going through, working on, sob stories, ....