or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Bogey golfer only thread (handicap index from 16 - 22) - what are you going through, working on, sob stories, ....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bogey golfer only thread (handicap index from 16 - 22) - what are you going through, working on,... - Page 48

post #847 of 1031
Thread Starter 
Originally Posted by MissouriHack View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post


Wow, dude. Do you even belong in this thread??? That's low single digit territory!

Congratulations!


Thanks guys. Yea I don't know what I'm going to do if I don't take part in this thread. I might just hang out a bit if you don't mind.a1_smile.gif I guess I need to start keeping a handicap.


It'd be interesting to see what your official score is.   Start the the last score.  :-)

post #848 of 1031

My last 2 rounds have been 90 and 92 and I'm desperately wanting to get into the 80s this summer.

 

I'm right there.

 

My weaknesses that I'm working on are:

 

- Putting.  We could probably all work on that.

- Shots inside 75 yds.  I do pretty well with full pitching wedge and full sand wedge shots, but I struggle getting my distance correct for the closer wedges.

- Irons 4-6.  I hit the 7-SW pretty consistently but like many, struggle with the longer irons.  I did have a couple of good 6-iron shots my last round, so maybe I'm improving in this area a little.

- Driving distance.  I'm not hitting the ball far enough.  My drives are averaging 230ish off the tee.  I'm hitting most of the fairways, so this is probably the least important issue and I do spend less time on it than the others.  I try to practice my weaker areas the most. 

post #849 of 1031
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkim291968 View Post

It'd be interesting to see what your official score is.   Start the the last score.  :-)

 

This should have read "what your official handicap index is.  Start with the last score."  :-)

post #850 of 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkim291968 View Post
 

 

This should have read "what your official handicap index is.  Start with the last score."  :-)


77 would put him at roughly a 5 to 7 handicap depending upon the CR and the Slope, but he needs at least 10 other scores and, ideally, 20 taking the best 10. It takes time to get enough rounds to legitimately calculate a handicap.

 

I finally just got enough scores, recently. Once I join my local club (I'm waiting for couple other people to join together), I should be able to maintain an official GHIN number.

post #851 of 1031
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
 

I finally just got enough scores, recently. Once I join my local club (I'm waiting for couple other people to join together), I should be able to maintain an official GHIN number.

That's great!  Looking forward to your first tournament report.  

 

About keeping official GHIN ... it seems there are 3 types of golfers based on my brief experience:

 

1) one who sandbags - one's mileage varies on how (from subtle to shameful)

2) one who records everything, accurately (you, me - :-))

3) one who artificially keeps very low HI (only records better scores, generous rule interpretation)

post #852 of 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkim291968 View Post
 

That's great!  Looking forward to your first tournament report.  

 

About keeping official GHIN ... it seems there are 3 types of golfers based on my brief experience:

 

1) one who sandbags - one's mileage varies on how (from subtle to shameful)

2) one who records everything, accurately (you, me - :-))

3) one who artificially keeps very low HI (only records better scores, generous rule interpretation)


I would fit into category 2 as you mentioned. I added my better scores into my spreadsheet.

 

The only problem is my 9 hole scores are weighted as heavily as an 18 hole round. There is probably a 0.2 HI error simply because my 9 hole scores are relatively close together with the 18 hole scores.

 

Tournaments are only going to be the club ones, and not the inter-club ones for at least a year (I need to become established with the handicap so they insure I am neither category 1 or 3). They want to pair up people fairly, so they need to see how I play over a minimum of a year.

post #853 of 1031

Since I am a slicer, I try to swing the club head at a forty five degree angle

to the right of the intended target on the downswing.

 

This never actually happens and it feels as if I'm going to completely miss the ball;

instead the club takes a more "in to out path" and the ball flies away like a dove.

I also think about rhythm in the swing; I try to feel for when the club is almost

weightless in my hands (don't let go of the grip); only then is it okay to "apply the throttle."

 

My worse enemy is "coming over the top", whereby I lean ever so slightly

to the left before the club strikes the ball; this always results in a chunked shot

where the divot points to the left.  Instead, as Lee Trevino would say,

"keep your head behind the ball." 

post #854 of 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Lee View Post
 

Since I am a slicer, I try to swing the club head at a forty five degree angle

to the right of the intended target on the downswing.

 

This never actually happens and it feels as if I'm going to completely miss the ball;

instead the club takes a more "in to out path" and the ball flies away like a dove.

I also think about rhythm in the swing; I try to feel for when the club is almost

weightless in my hands (don't let go of the grip); only then is it okay to "apply the throttle."

 

My worse enemy is "coming over the top", whereby I lean ever so slightly

to the left before the club strikes the ball; this always results in a chunked shot

where the divot points to the left.  Instead, as Lee Trevino would say,

"keep your head behind the ball." 

Is this the face angle relative to the intended target?

post #855 of 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post

Is this the face angle relative to the intended target?

I took that to mean the path but I might be wrong....
post #856 of 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamroper60 View Post


I took that to mean the path but I might be wrong....


Thought the same thing, but then I read "head" 45 degrees of the intended target.

 

@Michael Lee please post a video of your swing FO and DTL. (Face on and Down the Line)

 

Then we can see what you mean.

 

Thanks.

post #857 of 1031
Shot a 43 tonight ... With a triple bogy ... I did have one birdie! Been a long dry spell for a birdie ...
post #858 of 1031

The face of the club must be perpendicular with the intended flight path at impact.

 

Grant me the supposition, according to Ben Hogan, the path of the club head must be "on plane" during the swing.

I almost always go over the top and cause the club head to come in too steep.

This results in chunky shots with divots that always point to the left, instead of straight or right

of the target.  I also notice, with photographs of my swing, I tend to transfer my weight to the 

left foot prematurely, that is, before the ball and the club make contact; I believe this

is what Lee Trevino was trying to say, "keep your head behind the ball." or do not allow

your head to move laterally towards the target.

 

I've solved slicing by rotating the wrists clockwise on the backswing and counterclockwise

on the downswing and try to hit it square with the club face.  Tiger does this in the photographs

of his swing I've seen.  But also, as the club goes back with the hip turn, turning the wrists

prevents from "crossing the line." This makes it easier to want to swing out at a forty five degree

angle to the target.  I feel as if I'm going to miss the ball entirely, but that doesn't happen.

Occasionally, and remember golf is a game of consistency, not necessarily strength,

I can cream a drive two hundred and fifty yards and I'm middle aged :-)

 

Please keep in mind my handicap is 21, but that is owing to my pathetic short game,

in particular, my putting.

post #859 of 1031

Shot a 90 this morning with a triple and quad bogey on the back 9. The quad bogey came on a long par 4 where I hit my approach shot out of a fairway bunker into the water hazard.... followed by some serious short game issues... totally my fault... let my ego get the best of me. Should have pitched out into the fairway and likely would have gotten away with bogey or double bogey at worst. The triple bogey was on a narrow par 5 with a sharp dog leg lined by trees. It was me vs. the watering system on full blast. still... in the end, it was my short game that failed me that hole. Overall, I'm happy with this score. 

 

 42 on the front, 48 on the back.

 

6 FW

4 GR

34 putts

 

1 bird

7 par

5 bogey

5 double or worse

 

nothing stellar about this at all... but this represents the best round of the summer so far. 

 

Last year I had a driving range close by my job that I would go to about 3 times per week. This year they've closed it down to build a parking lot. :doh: My rate of improvement has really suffered... I feel like I've stalled some. 

post #860 of 1031
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
 

 

The only problem is my 9 hole scores are weighted as heavily as an 18 hole round. There is probably a 0.2 HI error simply because my 9 hole scores are relatively close together with the 18 hole scores.

 

 

I don't count 9 hole scores b/c of complication of what scores to count.   9 hole rounds are practice rounds for me.    I record scores for rounds that I played at least 13 holes.

post #861 of 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkim291968 View Post

I don't count 9 hole scores b/c of complication of what scores to count.   9 hole rounds are practice rounds for me.    I record scores for rounds that I played at least 13 holes.

Yeah, I just need to add a macro or a decision formula to accommodate the 9 hole rounds accurately. USGA has all the ratings for all the 9 hole courses here, and divides them for the front and back on all my 18 hole courses.
post #862 of 1031
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkim291968 View Post

I don't count 9 hole scores b/c of complication of what scores to count.   9 hole rounds are practice rounds for me.    I record scores for rounds that I played at least 13 holes.

Yeah, I just need to add a macro or a decision formula to accommodate the 9 hole rounds accurately. USGA has all the ratings for all the 9 hole courses here, and divides them for the front and back on all my 18 hole courses.

 

I felt that counting 9 hole course scores lowered my HI undeservedly.   It's easier to get hot for 9 holes, not so much for 18 holes on regulation course. 

post #863 of 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkim291968 View Post
 

 

I felt that counting 9 hole course scores lowered my HI undeservedly.   It's easier to get hot for 9 holes, not so much for 18 holes on regulation course. 

 

I just did two rounds where my differentials on 9 holes treated as an 18 hole round were "17 and 24", while my true 18 hole scores remain around 14-15. One of these two rounds raised my HI by 0.3 points.

 

My main issue is getting warmed up. I always seem to need a few warmup holes, even if I am lucky enough to par any one of the firs few holes. My driver doesn't even start to work until the 9th hole.

post #864 of 1031

I need to eliminate the one or 2 blow up holes per 9. I was 5 over through 8 last night and ended up 9 over after 9.... 4 pars 3 bogeys 1 double and 1 quad. The double and the quad were lost ball holes. All I had to do was maintain on the last hole but had a bad break and a 3 putt... 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Bogey golfer only thread (handicap index from 16 - 22) - what are you going through, working on, sob stories, ....