or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Bogey golfer only thread (handicap index from 16 - 22) - what are you going through, working on, sob stories, ....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bogey golfer only thread (handicap index from 16 - 22) - what are you going through, working on,... - Page 49

post #865 of 1037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post
 

I need to eliminate the one or 2 blow up holes per 9. I was 5 over through 8 last night and ended up 9 over after 9.... 4 pars 3 bogeys 1 double and 1 quad. The double and the quad were lost ball holes. All I had to do was maintain on the last hole but had a bad break and a 3 putt... 

 

Right, and the other thing I found is that an 18 hole round is more forgiving of blow up holes. I can get 3 doubles and have a good chance of getting 3 pars to offset them.

post #866 of 1037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
 

 

Right, and the other thing I found is that an 18 hole round is more forgiving of blow up holes. I can get 3 doubles and have a good chance of getting 3 pars to offset them.

One other thing I've noticed is the courses I play have really low ratings but I don't play any better on them than I do at courses with higher ratings. This is making it hard to get my index to drop. There just aren't any courses close enough for me to play more with a higher rating to fix this problem.

post #867 of 1037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post
 

One other thing I've noticed is the courses I play have really low ratings but I don't play any better on them than I do at courses with higher ratings. This is making it hard to get my index to drop. There just aren't any courses close enough for me to play more with a higher rating to fix this problem.

 

This is just a short term solution.

post #868 of 1037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
 

 

This is just a short term solution.

It would just be to see how much/if any my handicap is being affected by the super low course ratings. It may not make a noticeable difference at all.

post #869 of 1037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post
 

It would just be to see how much/if any my handicap is being affected by the super low course ratings. It may not make a noticeable difference at all.


It's huge, in CO all ratings are low until you get into the 7k yard range because of the effective playing length factor. I play courses that are over 6500 yards and difficult but rated 2 under par from the tips. My scores are similar to the guys here playing in the 4-7 range, sometimes lower, but it's tough for me to trend down. I can shoot under 80 and the differential will be over 10 at some courses.

post #870 of 1037
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
 

My main issue is getting warmed up. I always seem to need a few warmup holes, even if I am lucky enough to par any one of the firs few holes. My driver doesn't even start to work until the 9th hole.

 

I was the same way.  My 1st 9 hole scores were worse than back 9 where I played fully warmed up.   Now, it's the opposite.  Is it mental & muscle stamina due to age?   I hope not. 

post #871 of 1037
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkim291968 View Post
 

 

I was the same way.  My 1st 9 hole scores were worse than back 9 where I played fully warmed up.   Now, it's the opposite.  Is it mental & muscle stamina due to age?   I hope not. 

 

Probably not. It's all in the mind.

post #872 of 1037
Shot an ugly 97 today. Terrible iron play all day had me scrambling just to get on with a putt for par. Plus I just can't seem to get away from "That" stretch if holes. Starts the back side 8 over for the first 3 holes. b3_huh.gif Very frustrating.
post #873 of 1037
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsknicks1 View Post

Shot an ugly 97 today. Terrible iron play all day had me scrambling just to get on with a putt for par. Plus I just can't seem to get away from "That" stretch if holes. Starts the back side 8 over for the first 3 holes. b3_huh.gif Very frustrating.

Same here ... 97 ... it must be in the air ... just never felt comfortable over a shot all day ... felt tired ... could not keep my head down ... I knew a day like this was coming, so I not too pissed ... 

 

All day I did not keep a steady head, weight forward, or a flat left wrist ... I felt confused over the ball, like I wanted to swing right, but somewhere in the execution the old swing sort took hold ... I was also very tentative on my drives ... I have a 4 day golf trip starting Wednesday ... I did not need this today!!

post #874 of 1037
Quote:
Originally Posted by isukgolf View Post
 

Same here ... 97 ... it must be in the air ... just never felt comfortable over a shot all day ... felt tired ... could not keep my head down ... I knew a day like this was coming, so I not too pissed ... 

 

All day I did not keep a steady head, weight forward, or a flat left wrist ... I felt confused over the ball, like I wanted to swing right, but somewhere in the execution the old swing sort took hold ... I was also very tentative on my drives ... I have a 4 day golf trip starting Wednesday ... I did not need this today!!

Hopefully you got it out of your system......:beer:

post #875 of 1037

I played in my first club tournament yesterday, one day of qualifying then 3 days of match play. Lots of nerves on the first tee. Shot 91 and left 3-4 shots on the course. Played good for me, lost concentration in the middle for a few holes. Seven pars in the round. should have been 7 pars and 2 birdies. Only one blow up hole, drive in the water, bad decision, gives you an 8. I tee off at 1. I've never played match play before, should be interesting. Just going to try and play my game and not worry about what the other guy is shooting. Just hope I get it past the ladies tee on the opening drive today.

post #876 of 1037
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tosob View Post
 

I played in my first club tournament yesterday, one day of qualifying then 3 days of match play. Lots of nerves on the first tee. Shot 91 and left 3-4 shots on the course. Played good for me, lost concentration in the middle for a few holes. Seven pars in the round. should have been 7 pars and 2 birdies. Only one blow up hole, drive in the water, bad decision, gives you an 8. I tee off at 1. I've never played match play before, should be interesting. Just going to try and play my game and not worry about what the other guy is shooting. Just hope I get it past the ladies tee on the opening drive today.


That's pretty good result for 1st time playing. 

post #877 of 1037
Quote:
Originally Posted by tosob View Post
 

I played in my first club tournament yesterday, one day of qualifying then 3 days of match play. Lots of nerves on the first tee. Shot 91 and left 3-4 shots on the course. Played good for me, lost concentration in the middle for a few holes. Seven pars in the round. should have been 7 pars and 2 birdies. Only one blow up hole, drive in the water, bad decision, gives you an 8. I tee off at 1. I've never played match play before, should be interesting. Just going to try and play my game and not worry about what the other guy is shooting. Just hope I get it past the ladies tee on the opening drive today.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkim291968 View Post
 


That's pretty good result for 1st time playing. 

 

Maybe the extra pressure helps his scores by a few strokes?

 

For me, extra pressure improves my putting by an order of 3-4 strokes. I don't enjoy the round as much, but I do score better.

post #878 of 1037

It's just no use! It's just no use! :cry:

 

 

No matter what swing thought I implant into my mind, I couldn't hit the ball straight today.

 

It's a fine line between laughter and tears.

post #879 of 1037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Lee View Post
 

It's just no use! It's just no use! :cry:

 

 

No matter what swing thought I implant into my mind, I couldn't hit the ball straight today.

 

It's a fine line between laughter and tears.

God do I know this feeling ...after my dismal day yesterday I review some videos that @mvmac has posted on other threads and went to practice ... damn this game sure takes a lot of work just to get be a consistent bogey golfer!!!  You would think it would be easier to just be an "OK" golfer ...   

post #880 of 1037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Lee View Post
 

It's just no use! It's just no use! :cry:

 

 

No matter what swing thought I implant into my mind, I couldn't hit the ball straight today.

 

It's a fine line between laughter and tears.

 

It's a really fine line, but if it were easy, would you find it a worthwhile challenge?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by isukgolf View Post
 

God do I know this feeling ...after my dismal day yesterday I review some videos that @mvmac has posted on other threads and went to practice ... damn this game sure takes a lot of work just to get be a consistent bogey golfer!!!  You would think it would be easier to just be an "OK" golfer ...   

 

Bogey golf is not just "OK" golf. It still takes some skill to get the ball into the hole in that one extra stroke.

post #881 of 1037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post


Bogey golf is not just "OK" golf. It still takes some skill to get the ball into the hole in that one extra stroke.

Yes and no. Yes, it takes some skill. No, it is not OK golf to be shooting 90. OK golf, for me, would be to get round consistently in the low 80s. And when I can do that, I'll think that OK golf is to play to a handicap of five or six. It's a question of perspective, and of how focussed one is on improving.

Most bogey golfers that I know resemble me in this respect - they par several holes every round then screw up their cards with a clutch of double and triple bogies. "OK golf", to me, would be eliminating those screw-ups so that a mistake cost only a single shot.
post #882 of 1037

Played day 2 in the club tournament, some thoughts. The tournament had 39 entries. Format is day one is play in, stroke play. Days 2 through 4 are match play. The last group had a bye, which was me in the last group. I played a practice round with the guys I would face in the next round. The winner of that match shoot a 96 on day one, shoots 39 on the front of day 2. Up by 5 with 9 to play. He didn't miss a fairway and maybe one green on the front. Back nine, starts out with four doubles  then pars out. Beats his opponent 3 and 2. During the course of the round find out that both guys are 11 and 12 hcp. Guess I have to play the best round of my life next Saturday.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Bogey golfer only thread (handicap index from 16 - 22) - what are you going through, working on, sob stories, ....