or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Question on grooves, I think mine are worn out.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Question on grooves, I think mine are worn out.

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 

My irons are Mizuno T-Zoid Comp EZ's from (best I can tell) 1999. Today at the range I was hitting my son's Burner Plus sand wedge and after cleaning his grooves to start with I ended up with loads of ball skin in the grooves. I'm mean, I only hit about 12 balls and I had to clean it out again. My clubs do not cut the ball as much, in fact, barely at all. So I compared them visually and I guess my grooves are worn out. They look worn out compared to his and don't feel sharp. Can I get them re-grooved or am I looking for new clubs? Do you think I am missing out on backspin, will I be able to check the ball up better.

 

I'm going to take them to a local guy to have them looked at, truth be told, I wouldn't mind looking for new clubs ;-) 

post #2 of 24

If you want an honest opinion, show us a picture.

 

If you want another person telling you to get new clubs, get new clubs. :-)

 

I got a set of old leftie MP-32 clubs for hitting into a net at home, and really like them.

I can only imagine what a new set of Mizuno will feel like.

post #3 of 24
post #4 of 24
Thread Starter 

Thanks mvmac for the link, I should have searched before posting. I'll get a pic uploaded, but I think I've found out what I wanted to know...mainly that there is no definite rule and your mileage may vary. It's clear to me that my clubs are old and the PW is pretty worn. I'll play a few rounds with the Burner Plus's to see if there is any perceivable difference and if not, I'll just decide to be happy with my Mizunos.

post #5 of 24

The GolfWorks catalog gives these prices for regrooving a golf iron:

 

 Service 

 Chrome

 Finish

 Stainless

 Finish 

 Shaft extraction and reassembly   $ 5.95  $5.95
 Regroove  12.95 12.95
 Rechrome  59.95  - - - 
 Refinish stainless steel (satin)   - - -  21.95
Total (per club ) $78.85 $40.85

 

For details, see: http://www.golfworks.com

 

Also, be aware that some groove edges are sharper than others. Ping Eye.2 irons from the 1980s were more likely to shred a ball than the Callaway X20s I picked up in 2009.

 

Also, the cover materials of some balls are more likely to shred than others.

post #6 of 24

If you are a do-it-yourself kind of guy, you can get this tool.

 

http://par70.com/-.html

 

I have used it on some older clubs and it works pretty well.

post #7 of 24

I sharped my wedges at least once or twice per season.  I touch up my irons once a year as well.  The difference is remarkable.

 

Get yourself one of those tools and keep your grooves sharp.  Believe me...it's easy to maintain sharp grooves more frequently than to sharpen very dull & ragged grooves every two or three years.

post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04v8s4 View Post

I sharped my wedges at least once or twice per season.  I touch up my irons once a year as well.  The difference is remarkable.

Get yourself one of those tools and keep your grooves sharp.  Believe me...it's easy to maintain sharp grooves more frequently than to sharpen very dull & ragged grooves every two or three years.
How often do you use your groove sharpener?
post #9 of 24
Irons every other month, wedges twice a month.
Miura CB 501's and Tournament Blades.
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler1 View Post

Irons every other month, wedges twice a month.
Miura CB 501's and Tournament Blades.
Do you have the one above?
post #11 of 24

Re. groove sharpening, are you sure they're now legal? Given how on the edge the manufacturers are now re. groove spacing etc, I would imagine that sharpening the groove edges is going to make you illegal. Or likely to. Just a thought...

post #12 of 24
Only if the tool is different shape/dimension to the original groove is it considered illegal.
My tool was made specifically not to change anything non-conforming to the original grooves.
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler1 View Post

Only if the tool is different shape/dimension to the original groove is it considered illegal.
My tool was made specifically not to change anything non-conforming to the original grooves.
What's the name of your tool? And where did you purchase such a tool?
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler1 View Post

Only if the tool is different shape/dimension to the original groove is it considered illegal.
My tool was made specifically not to change anything non-conforming to the original grooves.

 

OK. So how do you sharpen the grooves? Are you trying to tell me that you take no metal from the edges of the grooves? You could make a case for removal of metal that's been dented into an existing groove but there's no real way that's all you do is it?

 

Just out of interest, who told you the tool was OK? The manufacturers?

post #15 of 24
My tool was made by a machinist who worked oversea with Miura and a few other Japan golf companies. It will correct dented grooves and actually stop short of the entire depth of each groove.
I have shown my irons and wedges to folks involved with the USGA and their feed back was no alteration of the original groove, no foul.
They have been checked prior to a an event and I have never been disqualified from any event.
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler1 View Post

My tool was made by a machinist who worked oversea with Miura and a few other Japan golf companies. It will correct dented grooves and actually stop short of the entire depth of each groove.
I have shown my irons and wedges to folks involved with the USGA and their feed back was no alteration of the original groove, no foul.
They have been checked prior to a an event and I have never been disqualified from any event.


 That sounds pretty neat. I was asking mainly out of curiosity as it was hard to see how the main groove itself wouldn't be altered but it's obviously possible if you know what you're doing. Cheers for that.

post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler1 View Post

My tool was made by a machinist who worked oversea with Miura and a few other Japan golf companies. It will correct dented grooves and actually stop short of the entire depth of each groove.
I have shown my irons and wedges to folks involved with the USGA and their feed back was no alteration of the original groove, no foul.
They have been checked prior to a an event and I have never been disqualified from any event.


I hope that your tool was smelted from the magma of a subterranean volcano and cooled with the ice cold milk from a virgin Himalayan yak. Otherwise it's not doing squat.
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post


I hope that your tool was smelted from the magma of a subterranean volcano and cooled with the ice cold milk from a virgin Himalayan yak. Otherwise it's not doing squat.


 The Groove Tool of Destiny? Incidentally, milk from a virgin yak? B-)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Question on grooves, I think mine are worn out.