or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Nike Equipment holding Tiger back from winning majors?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nike Equipment holding Tiger back from winning majors? - Page 2

Poll Results: Is Nike equipment holding Tiger back from winning majors?

 
  • 5% (2)
    Yes
  • 94% (32)
    No
34 Total Votes  
post #19 of 55

Like others, I can't imagine how Nike could hold him back.

post #20 of 55
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post

Who really thinks that Nike equipment is inferior to TM, Titleist, Callaway et al?

 

I thought that was a common perception.      I'm pretty sure it used to be the case (I know Phil was quoted saying it at one time) - by the responses to the contrary - Nike equipment must be on par with the big golf specific brands ... makes me happy, now that I have 3 Nike clubs in my bag !  

post #21 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post


You've yet to prove anything here.

 

Your point being...? Rory switch seems pretty self explanatory

post #22 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtuaframax View Post
 

 

Your point being...? Rory switch seems pretty self explanatory

So you think it's Nike clubs and not the huge Nike contract he has to live up to, his pro tennis girlfriend, problems with his management company, or the pressure of being viewed as the heir to Tigers throne.  I'd say the fact the clubs have the word Nike on them doesn't even make the top 10 on why he struggled in 2013.

post #23 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

So you think it's Nike clubs and not the huge Nike contract he has to live up to, his pro tennis girlfriend, problems with his management company, or the pressure of being viewed as the heir to Tigers throne.  I'd say the fact the clubs have the word Nike on them doesn't even make the top 10 on why he struggled in 2013.

 

What I am saying is Nike (as a company) and not necessarily clubs.

 

So far, aside from Tiger, a lot of growing talented players endorsed by Nike fell off the wagon. Is it the clubs, is it the ton of money they pay the players, is it whatever: Nike is the common ground.

post #24 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtuaframax View Post
 

 

What I am saying is Nike (as a company) and not necessarily clubs.

 

So far, aside from Tiger, a lot of growing talented players endorsed by Nike fell off the wagon. Is it the clubs, is it the ton of money they pay the players, is it whatever: Nike is the common ground.

 

its not the clubs.  period.

post #25 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post


EDIT: Last point. Tiger won 5 times this year. Are his Nike clubs self-aware enough to tell when he's playing in a major and when it's just a Tour event?

/thread

post #26 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtuaframax View Post

 

What I am saying is Nike (as a company) and not necessarily clubs.

 

So far, aside from Tiger, a lot of growing talented players endorsed by Nike fell off the wagon. Is it the clubs, is it the ton of money they pay the players, is it whatever: Nike is the common ground.

 



This is a joke right? I dont even know where to begin with this post. Again, you've done nothing to further your argument.
post #27 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtuaframax View Post

Your point being...? Rory switch seems pretty self explanatory

Rory switched to Nike and had a bad year. In no way does that mean Rory had a bad year because of Nike. Ditto Watney, Casey, etc.

If you want to prove Nike hurt any of their careers you'll need more that just blind speculation.
post #28 of 55

Suzanne Petterson plays nike and she is doing ok lol

post #29 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by wils5150 View Post
 

Suzanne Petterson plays nike and she is doing ok lol

Yep, and she looks way better than Rory does ....:-D 

post #30 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer 4 View Post
 

Yep, and she looks way better than Rory does ....:-D

+1 on that!

post #31 of 55

Absolutely not.

post #32 of 55
If he was playing "off-the-shelf" Nike equipment then maybe you could make the case that changing clubs would have had some initial impact but the fact of the matter is the only thing those clubs have in common with the stock equipment is the SWOOSH.

At the end of the day, Nike (like any other sponsor) benefits immensly with the success of their players and, when it comes to TIger and the publicity he draws, I'm sure they have an entire department dedicated just to making sure those clubs give him every technical advantage they can get away with within the rules.
post #33 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtuaframax View Post
 

 

What I am saying is Nike (as a company) and not necessarily clubs.

 

So far, aside from Tiger, a lot of growing talented players endorsed by Nike fell off the wagon. Is it the clubs, is it the ton of money they pay the players, is it whatever: Nike is the common ground.

That's a big aside you're making given Tiger is the best player golf has seen in at least the last 20 years and possibly ever.

post #34 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post

Nothing would benefit Nike Golf more than Tiger Woods winning a major (besides Tiger winning 5 more majors).

For that reason, I have to believe that he and Nike are doing everything they can to put exactly what Tiger wants in his bag.

(My other reason is just what changes do we expect Nike to make? Are Titleist's or Mizuno's or TaylorMade's irons really going to make a differences in Tiger's game? Is a 913D2 really going to make Tiger hit it straighter? Doubt it.)

EDIT: Last point. Tiger won 5 times this year. Are his Nike clubs self-aware enough to tell when he's playing in a major and when it's just a Tour event?

Thanks @jamo .  Now Taylormade will be advertising "self aware" golf clubs thanks to you!

post #35 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post
 

Thanks @jamo .  Now Taylormade will be advertising "self aware" golf clubs thanks to you!

The new Taylormade HAL 9000 line or woods and irons.

post #36 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
 

Absolutely not.

Wait....you think Rory looks better..?   :bugout:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Nike Equipment holding Tiger back from winning majors?