or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Nike Equipment holding Tiger back from winning majors?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nike Equipment holding Tiger back from winning majors? - Page 3

Poll Results: Is Nike equipment holding Tiger back from winning majors?

 
  • 5% (2)
    Yes
  • 94% (32)
    No
34 Total Votes  
post #37 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

The new Taylormade HAL 9000 line or woods and irons.

 



And in three weeks they will change the game again with the Stage 2 HAL 9000s which are "self-aware-ier"
post #38 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtuaframax View Post

What I am saying is Nike (as a company) and not necessarily clubs.

So far, aside from Tiger, a lot of growing talented players endorsed by Nike fell off the wagon. Is it the clubs, is it the ton of money they pay the players, is it whatever: Nike is the common ground.
You're making a blind statement.

How about supporting your argument instead of one upping it with another dumb comment. Please explain to me how the clubs have prevented tiger from winning... Let's forget the five wins he had.
post #39 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturday View Post


You're making a blind statement.

How about supporting your argument instead of one upping it with another dumb comment. Please explain to me how the clubs have prevented tiger from winning... Let's forget the five wins he had.

 

1. Nike is fairly new company to golf compared to the others

2. Nike made it through the golf world because of the amount of money spent endorsing Tiger and fitting everything for his game and his needs (and rightfully after what they put in him)

3. Nike overpays his players: Rory contract is something to be ashamed of. These players then all of the sudden do not perform on the golf course as good as before:

a. They are getting paid too much money

b. Nike selects players who have no mental game and cannot perform.

c. Nike focuses all his efforts on Tiger only

 

Now, on all the bashing you guys gave me for my commets, why don''t you relax? This thread was meant to be an instigation to see who is a Nike supporter and who's not, who is a Tiger fan and who is not. We ALL very well know that the clubs have nothing to do with Tiger since he dictates exactly how his clubs need to be (see commercial from a few yrs back of Tiger in the "oven")

post #40 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtuaframax View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturday View Post

You're making a blind statement.


How about supporting your argument instead of one upping it with another dumb comment. Please explain to me how the clubs have prevented tiger from winning... Let's forget the five wins he had.

1. Nike is fairly new company to golf compared to the others
2. Nike made it through the golf world because of the amount of money spent endorsing Tiger and fitting everything for his game and his needs (and rightfully after what they put in him)
3. Nike overpays his players: Rory contract is something to be ashamed of. These players then all of the sudden do not perform on the golf course as good as before:
a. They are getting paid too much money
b. Nike selects players who have no mental game and cannot perform.
c. Nike focuses all his efforts on Tiger only

Now, on all the bashing you guys gave me for my commets, why don''t you relax? This thread was meant to be an instigation to see who is a Nike supporter and who's not, who is a Tiger fan and who is not. We ALL very well know that the clubs have nothing to do with Tiger since he dictates exactly how his clubs need to be (see commercial from a few yrs back of Tiger in the "oven")

Title of thread and subsequent poll ask specifically about nike EQUIPMENT's impact on Tiger's game. So, no, it's not about starting a flame war between Tiger fanboys and Tiger haters, we already have an abundance of threads that provide an arena for those "gladiators".

None of points 1-3 a)b)c) do anything to support the theory that Nike's clubs are preventing Tiger from winning, in fact most of them don't effect Tiger at all. 3c in particular is a head scratcher in this context...it actually does a fair job of demonstrating that it's NOT the clubs that are holding Tiger back (which in and of itself is a bit of a ludicrous idea, he was Player of the Year after all...)

Read the thread title again, it has nothing to do with Nick Watney's mental game.
post #41 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post


Title of thread and subsequent poll ask specifically about nike EQUIPMENT's impact on Tiger's game. So, no, it's not about starting a flame war between Tiger fanboys and Tiger haters, we already have an abundance of threads that provide an arena for those "gladiators".

 

I didn't just say Tiger, but puposely said Nike fans and haters as well... which in my opinion is hard pretty much the same as saying Tiger when talking about golf...

post #42 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturday View Post


You're making a blind statement.

How about supporting your argument instead of one upping it with another dumb comment. Please explain to me how the clubs have prevented tiger from winning... Let's forget the five wins he had.

 

oh, and how is it a blind statement?!?

 

Pretty clear how those players' game went down from where they were before: (Rory could barely make cuts, Casey is a ghost, Watney didn't do much...) adjustment period? probably, but it's not good publicity for Nike IMO when players paid so much to switch then don't perform

post #43 of 55
Sigh.
post #44 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtuaframax View Post
 

 

I didn't just say Tiger, but puposely said Nike fans and haters as well... which in my opinion is hard pretty much the same as saying Tiger when talking about golf...

Look at what's in my bag, not one Nike club.  I'm far from a Nike fan boy but when someone makes ignorant statements they should expect to be called out to back up them up.

post #45 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

Look at what's in my bag, not one Nike club.  I'm far from a Nike fan boy but when someone makes ignorant statements they should expect to be called out to back up them up.

 

So you're telling me that when you think of Nike for golf only related quipment or clothing, you don't think of Tiger?

 

Also, being a fan is one thing (i'm not), understanding and recognising that is the greatest golfer of the past 2 decades is something different (my position)

post #46 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtuaframax View Post
 

 

So you're telling me that when you think of Nike for golf only related quipment or clothing, you don't think of Tiger?

 

Also, being a fan is one thing (i'm not), understanding and recognising that is the greatest golfer of the past 2 decades is something different (my position)

I think of Tiger and now I think of Rory too, but in the same way I think of Phil Mickelson when I think of Callaway Golf, Bubba Watson when I think of Ping or Rickie Fowler when I think of Cobra, what's your point?

post #47 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtuaframax View Post

1. Nike is fairly new company to golf compared to the others
2. Nike made it through the golf world because of the amount of money spent endorsing Tiger and fitting everything for his game and his needs (and rightfully after what they put in him)
3. Nike overpays his players: Rory contract is something to be ashamed of. These players then all of the sudden do not perform on the golf course as good as before:
a. They are getting paid too much money
b. Nike selects players who have no mental game and cannot perform.
c. Nike focuses all his efforts on Tiger only

Again, you have no actual proof for any of these statements.

Just saying "Rory joined Nike, now he sucks" doesn't mean anything by itself. People have bad years, including the year after they sign a new equipment contract.

Stewart Cink sucked with TaylorMade and won a major with Nike. It's not TaylorMade's fault, or Nike's credit.
post #48 of 55
@virtuafrgyfdebkjgf

Do you have any concrete data showing that Nike equipment is inferior to any other product?
post #49 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post


Again, you have no actual proof for any of these statements.

Just saying "Rory joined Nike, now he sucks" doesn't mean anything by itself. People have bad years, including the year after they sign a new equipment contract.

Stewart Cink sucked with TaylorMade and won a major with Nike. It's not TaylorMade's fault, or Nike's credit.

 

I'm expressing an opinion and putting out there discussion points by saying what could be the causes... by no means I'm stating laws in here that need to be vetted ...

 

How are all you guys replies to my posts adding any value, by just saying u have no proof, no data, and such...

post #50 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtuaframax View Post

I'm expressing an opinion and putting out there discussion points by saying what could be the causes... by no means I'm stating laws in here that need to be vetted ...

How are all you guys replies to my posts adding any value, by just saying u have no proof, no data, and such...

Because you're casting aspersions without offering up any proof.

If there's something to the assertion that Nike athletes underperform, we'd all be open to it. But just saying "Rory and Watney suck, it must be Nike" doesn't help.

And to your other points, what proof do you have that Nike ignores their other athletes? Have you talked to Nike engineers or athletes?
post #51 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

Sigh.

 



I second that
post #52 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post

Who really thinks that Nike equipment is inferior to TM, Titleist, Callaway et al?

 

Definitely inferior when it comes to durability ;-)

 

 

Tiger first switched to a Nike ball in 2000 and won the US Open by 15 shots and 4 majors in a row.  Then in 2002 he went to an all Nike bag except for the putter and has done pretty well since.  All OEM's make pretty good stuff, especially at the tour level.

post #53 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

Sigh.
That's all I can muster up to say as well.
post #54 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

Definitely inferior when it comes to durability a2_wink.gif


Hey! That's not nice! a3_biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Nike Equipment holding Tiger back from winning majors?