or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Extend or Rehinge early.. (Post impact) what is optimal
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Extend or Rehinge early.. (Post impact) what is optimal

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 


Here is a question for gurus out there. What would be optimal..extending ( throwing club down the fairway) or re hinging early post Impact? Both accomplished players..both extremely long ( Freddie vs Rory). I personally do more of the early re hinging..( hard habit to break) ..


And after which is optimal,,what may be the cause of both. Extending ( swinging left with no massive toe turnover) re hinging ( massive toe turnover). Might be wrong, just what I see when I watch youtube or DVR in slo mo and hit pause.

What post impact position would benefit the golfing community? I see stack and tilt recommends re hinging ( have page in book for documentation).. Or a ABS golf method of arms extended towards the target

Your responses would be mostly appreciated..and will be waiting with utmost urgency,

e4_tumbleweed.gif

Found it ( love these 2 guys) the rehingers



Edited by c peterich - 11/7/13 at 6:18am
post #2 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by c peterich View Post

Your responses would be mostly appreciated..

Lol. That's a great line, can I steal it for my signature?

I like to feel like I'm doing what Rory does, somehow it helps me to swing to the right.

I dunno if this plays a role or not but Rory plays a big, high draw and Freddie (IIRC) plays a fade. Could that account for the differences? Would the two methods have anything to do with the exit path? I would think that extension would be promoted by a outward path and be more compatible with a high exit.

But hey, I dunno shit! Just like talking about it.
a1_smile.gif
post #3 of 22

Both have their benefits depending on the golfer, the shot, and so on.

 

For many amateurs, "rehinging" is unfortunately translated in action as "rolling and flipping." For a lot of them, we teach a very extended follow-through as a drill to slow the rates of rotation. Control the swing with your core more than your wrists.

post #4 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

Lol. That's a great line, can I steal it for my signature?

I like to feel like I'm doing what Rory does, somehow it helps me to swing to the right.

I dunno if this plays a role or not but Rory plays a big, high draw and Freddie (IIRC) plays a fade. Could that account for the differences? Would the two methods have anything to do with the exit path? I would think that extension would be promoted by a outward path and be more compatible with a high exit.

But hey, I dunno shit! Just like talking about it.
a1_smile.gif

That's cool..honest attempt. I'm in the same boat, I grip it and just swing the damn thing. If it goes in the direction I intend on..than more the better. I play all by " feel"..when I do film, I'm not sure if I even have that damn camera setup right. Just a damn hassle if you ask me..ball sure as hell don't care
post #5 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

Both have their benefits depending on the golfer, the shot, and so on.

For many amateurs, "rehinging" is unfortunately translated in action as "rolling and flipping." For a lot of them, we teach a very extended follow-through as a drill to slow the rates of rotation. Control the swing with your core more than your wrists.

That is a great tip..I think most if not all fit into the "rolling/ flipping" another bad disease to have in the golf game,,
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by c peterich View Post

That's cool..honest attempt.

Honesty is a big part of being E(a)rnest.

a2_wink.gif
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

Both have their benefits depending on the golfer, the shot, and so on.

 

For many amateurs, "rehinging" is unfortunately translated in action as "rolling and flipping." For a lot of them, we teach a very extended follow-through as a drill to slow the rates of rotation. Control the swing with your core more than your wrists.

From everything I have learned from you guys, the bold section above is the key for what I have seen the best results.  I am in the boat with everyone else who rolls/flips when I don't do it right.

post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post
 

From everything I have learned from you guys, the bold section above is the key for what I have seen the best results.  I am in the boat with everyone else who rolls/flips when I don't do it right.

 

We filmed a video for this just recently. Uploaded it an hour ago, and hope to make it public later this afternoon.

post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

We filmed a video for this just recently. Uploaded it an hour ago, and hope to make it public later this afternoon.

Awesome!

post #10 of 22
Thread Starter 
Good stuff..I will practice this. Again, without swing monitor numbers..no way to know if I'm doing right or wrong. Just learning this swing thing by myself and all feel
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by c peterich View Post

Good stuff..I will practice this. Again, without swing monitor numbers..no way to know if I'm doing right or wrong. Just learning this swing thing by myself and all feel

Huh?  All you need is DTL video, and an understanding of what the ball is doing.

post #12 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post

Huh?  All you need is DTL video, and an understanding of what the ball is doing.

Sometimes I have no idea what to look at..I just look at backswing not to far inside,,than I make sure I'm on plane on downswing

I just swing differently than a lot of people..kinda homegrown I guess. A million things I can change..but limited on time

What do I look for?
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by c peterich View Post


Sometimes I have no idea what to look at..I just look at backswing not to far inside,,than I make sure I'm on plane on downswing

I just swing differently than a lot of people..kinda homegrown I guess. A million things I can change..but limited on time

What do I look for?

I am thinking that maybe the video Erik is making could give a good visual for this.  But you can look at the hips shoulders and how the hands and club exit in the DTL view.

post #14 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post

I am thinking that maybe the video Erik is making could give a good visual for this.  But you can look at the hips shoulders and how the hands and club exit in the DTL view.

Thanks,,work needed here. Had a old instructor once tell me you warn to feel "wide" after you hit the ball Into your follow thru. Again, by him telling me a "feel" it was hard for me to comprehend this at the time. It makes sense now
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by c peterich View Post




What post impact position would benefit the golfing community? I see stack and tilt recommends re hinging ( have page in book for documentation).. Or a ABS golf method of arms extended towards the target
 

 

Well if it's post impact then what does it matter? ;-)  Most golfers get "flippy" and flex the elbows apart so I would say most golfers would be better off rehearsing or feeling a more extended followthrough or working on pieces to allow that to happen.  But do you have to have the extended look to play well?  Absolutely not, just depends on the player and their issues.

post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by c peterich View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post

I am thinking that maybe the video Erik is making could give a good visual for this.  But you can look at the hips shoulders and how the hands and club exit in the DTL view.

Thanks,,work needed here. Had a old instructor once tell me you warn to feel "wide" after you hit the ball Into your follow thru. Again, by him telling me a "feel" it was hard for me to comprehend this at the time. It makes sense now

Wide is a good description of what I feel when I get my hips opening and my arms going right. Everything is "opening" out to either side if the target line, definitely feels "wide", I like that thought.
post #17 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

Well if it's post impact then what does it matter? a2_wink.gif   Most golfers get "flippy" and flex the elbows apart so I would say most golfers would be better off rehearsing or feeling a more extended followthrough or working on pieces to allow that to happen.  But do you have to have the extended look to play well?  Absolutely not, just depends on the player and their issues.

Agree,,, doesn't matter how many herks or jerks you have in your swing motion..as long as you get to a good impact position ..that is all that matters. I was in a online golf program for a year, liked it..but it was very one swing type only program. I'm doing this solo now, thru a lot of books/ youtube/ and some good online friends like u guys. If I had more time I would try your evolver..I just don't play enough golf to tackle it. But I like what I saw, looks very individualized to golfers needs and such. I liked one response I read..not sure the thread on here..but you told the student that had a very inside takeaway to think Rickey Fowler..I did add that to my game..

Good stuff..and many thanks..

Chris

---u can make this game as hard as you want..I want to make it easy for me
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by c peterich View Post


Agree,,, doesn't matter how many herks or jerks you have in your swing motion..as long as you get to a good impact position ..that is all that matters. I was in a online golf program for a year, liked it..but it was very one swing type only program. I'm doing this solo now, thru a lot of books/ youtube/ and some good online friends like u guys. If I had more time I would try your evolver..I just don't play enough golf to tackle it. But I like what I saw, looks very individualized to golfers needs and such. I liked one response I read..not sure the thread on here..but you told the student that had a very inside takeaway to think Rickey Fowler..I did add that to my game..

Good stuff..and many thanks..

Chris

---u can make this game as hard as you want..I want to make it easy for me

 

Chris, the idea that nothing matters but impact is valid but not helpful to anyone.....especially since it appears in a thread started by you asking about the nuances of the follow through.

 

Secondly, of course you rehinge early--your body stays closed on the downswing and physics has no other option. You've been told about your body pivot a staggering amount of times.

 

Third, IF the online program you're talking about is the one you did with iteach, that is not a one method only type program.

 

Lastly, the way you treated iteach by publicly mocking what he had told you was extremely low class. And what he told you was spot on. The whole soap opera you put together about you secretly following a PM lesson plan about the "slap release" from Lee Comeaux while you were "testing" Monte and iteach was completely juvenile. Supposedly you had such a magnificent love affair with lee's slap release that you said publicly you would just give away your remaining online lessons with iteach. Now, here you are, acting like some country bumkin that's never been on a golf forum before. It's so tiring.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Extend or Rehinge early.. (Post impact) what is optimal