or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Balls, Carts/Bags, Apparel, Gear, Etc. › Opinions on 14 slot bags
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Opinions on 14 slot bags

post #1 of 34
Thread Starter 
I'm looking for a new bag, mosly because I don't like my clubs "sharing" and THINK I want an individual slot for each club. Before I spend a couple hundred bucks though, what are some of the downsides to this? Am I being stupid and should I stick with the bag I have (6 or 8 compartmetns, I think).

The one I'm leaning to is the Sun Mountain Four 5 (in fact I bought one, but am considering returning it).
post #2 of 34

I think I have 14 slots in my bag, but once I am playing I end up just putting the club in the first slot I see even if there is another club there.  Come to think about it I really don't think it makes that big of difference, for me anyway..  :)

post #3 of 34

I prefer the 14 club divider bags over the more traditional bags as it keeps my clubs in the exact position I want and I know exactly where each club is.

 

I've seen playing partners with 5 or 6 slot bags pull a 9 iron when they thought it was a 6 because all their clubs were mixed up.  Obviously if they took an extra second to look at the club they'd realize they pulled the wrong one but for whatever reason they didn't.

 

Go with 14 divider bags that have full length dividers so the grips don't rub and catch on other clubs.  Another concern with the 14 divider bags is that many do not provide a large enough slot for oversized putter grips like the Fatso / Flatso or even some of the Winn medium size grips.  This is a big problem for the Ogio Chamber and Grom XX 14 divider bags.

 

I've seen some 14 divider bags that have a special tube for the putter which is ideal for larger putter grips.

post #4 of 34

The Four 5 is  a good bag.

 

But like the member above stated - if you've got a couple of clubs out of the bag, you tend to mix them up going back in.

 

Slots are also limiting and just small enough to fit a club - it's tough to fit training aids and extra clubs for range time.

 

And slots add weight. While you reduce the amount of clanging, heads will still collide.

 

 

I go with the large divider bag like the SM 3.5 - as to clanging, I use head covers on metal woods. For irons when carrying, my hand is typically draped on them so they don't rattle while walking. I also have a long towel - club glove - to drape through them when in the trunk. Yes, you get some bruising on the sole with soft casting and forgings, but hitting the ground with a club will do the same.

 

Go with what you want, though, after looking at all the factors and whether they affect you.

post #5 of 34

I prefer a bag with 14 slots, I currently use an Ogio bag (don't remember the model), that I would call a hybrid, it's got most of the features of a traditional cart bag, but lighter than a carry bag.  I use it on a ClicGear 2.0 push cart and find it is a great fit.  I like having individual slots for my clubs and the bag has enough pockets to put in rain gear and wind gear.

post #6 of 34

Clubs can get stuck even with 14 dividers.   So, I use tubes on some slots  that I can get my clubs easily in and out.

post #7 of 34
I find ogio bag's wood system ideal. 4 slots for driver 3 wood n 2 hybrids 1 larger slot for putter and 3 sections stacked like stadium seating. Longest section get 5-6-7 middle section gets 8-9-p and smallest gets 50-56-60. It's keeps clubs very organized and easy to find. The individual 14 slot bags I find are cumbersome. My friend has 1 I am not a fan. Check out ogio before sking decision
post #8 of 34

I like the 14 way bags… I used to have an Ogio bag with the woode system and that was good but I still find the 14 way better. It keeps the clubs exactly where I want them. I've used both the Sun Mountain Four 5 as well as the Titleist 14 way stand bag (essentially a SM with the Titleist logo) and those were my favorite stand bags. I've since moved on to a cart bag (SM Tour Series Cart bag) as I never rarely walk (I still have the SM on the occasion that I do), and that one actually has 14 slots plus a dedicated putter well. I like that as the extra slot holds my alignment sticks and may end up holding an Orange Whip when I eventually get one.

post #9 of 34

I like the organization of every club having its own slot.  Can't stand clubs all thrown in a 4 or 6 slot bag...

post #10 of 34
I had one for a while (Nike Sasquatch ... Tour? maybe). The only downside was the weight.

Also, you should try to look for bags with the dividers that go all the way down so the grips don't stick together.
post #11 of 34

I like bags with 14 dividers.  I find that it makes it easier to keep my clubs organized and it keeps my clubs from rattling around as much.  6-divider bags are fine but once youve had a 14-divider bag, youd never go back.

post #12 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post
 

The Four 5 is  a good bag.

 

But like the member above stated - if you've got a couple of clubs out of the bag, you tend to mix them up going back in.

 

Slots are also limiting and just small enough to fit a club - it's tough to fit training aids and extra clubs for range time.

 

And slots add weight. While you reduce the amount of clanging, heads will still collide.

 

 

I go with the large divider bag like the SM 3.5 - as to clanging, I use head covers on metal woods. For irons when carrying, my hand is typically draped on them so they don't rattle while walking. I also have a long towel - club glove - to drape through them when in the trunk. Yes, you get some bruising on the sole with soft casting and forgings, but hitting the ground with a club will do the same.

 

Go with what you want, though, after looking at all the factors and whether they affect you.

There are 14 slot bags like Bag Boy and Ogio Chamber that completely eliminate the club heads from touching no matter how bumpy the ride is if the clubs are properly inserted into the bag.  I take the covers off of all my clubs before a round and never have to worry about my woods or irons being damaged from riding in a cart.

post #13 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

There are 14 slot bags like Bag Boy and Ogio Chamber that completely eliminate the club heads from touching no matter how bumpy the ride is if the clubs are properly inserted into the bag.  I take the covers off of all my clubs before a round and never have to worry about my woods or irons being damaged from riding in a cart.

Well, you've got that working for you, and that's great.

 

Like I said above, it depends on what you carry in your bag and the extent of your OCD about clubs - I carry extra clubs, training aids, etc. A slot bag is limiting for me.

 

When I was really OCD about clubs, I went with a SM 3.5 and placed iron covers on every other club -- it worked well without the slots. Unlike a lot of people, I use head covers on metals - but not OEM head covers, because they're tough to slide on and off - I pick up some easy on, off quality covers.

 

But I don't worry as much now, especially with cast clubs. I am a bit more careful with forgings. I sometimes wrap the towel through my clubs when riding a cart. But when I'm driving, I don't worry. It's the kamikaze drivers who cause worry.

 

As in life, we are all different. It what makes the world interesting...

post #14 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post
 

Well, you've got that working for you, and that's great.

 

Like I said above, it depends on what you carry in your bag and the extent of your OCD about clubs - I carry extra clubs, training aids, etc. A slot bag is limiting for me.

 

When I was really OCD about clubs, I went with a SM 3.5 and placed iron covers on every other club -- it worked well without the slots. Unlike a lot of people, I use head covers on metals - but not OEM head covers, because they're tough to slide on and off - I pick up some easy on, off quality covers.

 

But I don't worry as much now, especially with cast clubs. I am a bit more careful with forgings. I sometimes wrap the towel through my clubs when riding a cart. But when I'm driving, I don't worry. It's the kamikaze drivers who cause worry.

 

As in life, we are all different. It what makes the world interesting...

I'm far from OCD about my clubs getting dinged up, I just hate hearing them clang when I ride or walk with a cart.  I am a bit OCD about being organized and like 14 slot dividers so that I know exactly where each club is.  If I carried my bag I'd definitely opt for something lighter and slots would be less important.

post #15 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

I'm far from OCD about my clubs getting dinged up, I just hate hearing them clang when I ride or walk with a cart.  I am a bit OCD about being organized and like 14 slot dividers so that I know exactly where each club is.  If I carried my bag I'd definitely opt for something lighter and slots would be less important.

I think we're all a little OCD if we are here… lol. As I stated, it is the extent of our OCD … and from your response, you "get it." I was once Mr. Anal Retentive about everything; but I've overcome it… Glad you are far from OCD about dinging … I don't like the clanging either - it's why I use a towel.

 

I lack the organization gene - so slots don't work for me … besides that fact I carry a couple of drivers and training aids.

post #16 of 34

As long as it's 14 full length slots and not just 14 holes in the top. It's the grips and graphite shafts that get torn up, at least that was my experience.

post #17 of 34

What about just putting 14 tubes in a regular bag? Or does that get too heavy?

post #18 of 34

Back in the day I used plastic tubes but as much as they are IMO better to just spend up for a decent bag. It's more than the slots, the more you spend the more you get. Everything from the divider system to the rain hoods is better with a good bag.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Balls, Carts/Bags, Apparel, Gear, Etc. › Opinions on 14 slot bags