or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Courses and Architecture › That's not a knife. This... is a knife, bunker
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

That's not a knife. This... is a knife, bunker - Page 2

post #19 of 28
Thread Starter 

As an American and I'm sure I speak for many others, many of us love the style of courses in the UK and continental Europe, whatever it's called. I love revetted bunkers, I love the fact that all the courses on the Open Championship rota are playable compared to the US Open, love the faster pace of play, etc... 

post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunato51 View Post
 


Pardon me ìnthehole...just what is euro style links golf ? Your use of this bogus term shows that you know very little about golf and its history...btw this is how you spell E U R O P E...ignorant ass american

 

I think you can make your point without being the "Ugly Eurpoean."

 

:-*

post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunato51 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthehole View Post
 

Assume this is in eurpoe ... honestly, this type of thing is why I have little interest in playing euro style links golf - the steep faced revetted bunkers are so different from what we have in the US.   I'd be more worried about that little deep pot bunker in front of the big one ...


Pardon me ìnthehole...just what is euro style links golf ? Your use of this bogus term shows that you know very little about golf and its history...btw this is how you spell E U R O P E...ignorant ass american

 

Would you be happier with Scottish style links?  ... Ass!!!  if you can use it so can I.  Idiotic way to introduce yourself. 

post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2R View Post
 

Sand Hill Golf Club: This doesn't look too bad ... Unless you are in it.

 

Once heard Sand Hills looks more like the terrain found on the surface of the moon than on a golf course, but I can't find that reference now.

 

Whoa! :bugout:

post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post
 

 

Would you be happier with Scottish style links?  ... Ass!!!  if you can use it so can I.  Idiotic way to introduce yourself. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post
 

 

I think you can make your point without being the "Ugly Eurpoean"

 

I am an American ... do you use spell check Mr Desmond...forgive my rhetorical nastiness...I was wrong...links golf is where our game was born. A true links course is on land that links the arable land with the ocean..hence 'linksland'...it was land that wasnt good for agriculture as it had too much salinity...the earliest known courses were in Scotland, dating back some 600 years ago. Many modern golf course architects are returning to links golf as the 'standard' for what a golf course is meant to be..in particular Coore/Crenshaw. In response to Four Putt...There is no such thing as 'Scottish style' links...True links courses are true links courses no matter where they are located geographically as long as they are on 'linksland'...and you are right...I was an ass.

 

Now here is a nice bunker but I suppose for some this is too much like real golf not the target bastardization we find in the states...btw this is in Florida and is a Coore/Crenshaw design

post #24 of 28

Leo, an avid 17 index, was intimidated but got outta here in one. (Easter 2013) This bunker on the par five 18th fairway is one of only two bunkers @ Chambers Bay. The other one covers most of the other 17 holes and large parts of the rest of 18. 

 

There's me on (in) #3 @ CB on Nov 1, 2013, wondering whether to use my SW or the rake. Leo (L) and Rob look on mockingly. (I made a 4.) My shot made it almost pin high, but right of the green and then fed back to this location, where some womp rats were eyeing it, warily. 

post #25 of 28

I understand Chambers Bay is a great course...I would certainly love to play it sometime !

post #26 of 28
I have only played a few true links courses (accdg to Peper & Campbell) so I can't claim to be an expert, but since the first links courses were in Scotland, I'd say "Scottish style links courses" is logical and correct. I've def read that term often enuf. "Euro style" is accurate too, IMO, cuz Europe - including Ireland, Britain, Wales & Scotland - has a lot more links golf than America (both the stupid ass and the smart ass regions).

C Bay is a wonder and will host a remarkable open. It is NOT given true links status by some, but I would put my two-bits in favor. Ditto for lovely lil Gearhart about 3 hrs south just past Astoria on the coast.
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunato51 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post
 

 

Would you be happier with Scottish style links?  ... Ass!!!  if you can use it so can I.  Idiotic way to introduce yourself. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post
 

 

I think you can make your point without being the "Ugly Eurpoean"

 

I am an American ... do you use spell check Mr Desmond...forgive my rhetorical nastiness...I was wrong...links golf is where our game was born. A true links course is on land that links the arable land with the ocean..hence 'linksland'...it was land that wasnt good for agriculture as it had too much salinity...the earliest known courses were in Scotland, dating back some 600 years ago. Many modern golf course architects are returning to links golf as the 'standard' for what a golf course is meant to be..in particular Coore/Crenshaw. In response to Four Putt...There is no such thing as 'Scottish style' links...True links courses are true links courses no matter where they are located geographically as long as they are on 'linksland'...and you are right...I was an ass.

 

 

Golf is golf.  The only reason it started on the linksland is because the land was considered useless for anything but herding sheep.  The shepherds which began the game there did so out of boredom, not from any higher ideal.  The fact that it is now played on every type of terrain that Mother Earth offers is simply because there is no longer enough of the pure linksland available, nor is it all located in the areas where it would be accessible to the numbers of golfers who play the game.   Scots like C.B. McDonald and Alistair MacKenzie  certainly didn't see anything inherently wrong with creating golf courses in other types of terrain.  

 

Golf is a game, and an ideal.  It's defined by its rules and those rules make no distinction about the type of terrain upon which the course is constructed.  Linksland, parkland, mountain, desert... it makes no difference.  It's how the game is played, not where it's played, which determines its purity.

post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunato51 View Post
 

 

I am an American ... do you use spell check Mr Desmond...forgive my rhetorical nastiness...I was wrong...

You were less than charitable in your earlier post, acted like a jerk, and chided another member for his misspelling … I intentionally misspelled because of your post … but you didn't "get it."

 

Enough … back to topic. And let's all act with more respect towards one another.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Courses and Architecture
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Courses and Architecture › That's not a knife. This... is a knife, bunker